PDA

View Full Version : Payroll software for Nanny?

janeybwild
02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm looking for software that will allow me to generate pay stubs and W2s for our new nanny. I would prefer to not have to pay an on-line service each year, but instead buy a package that I could use at home. I'm not sure though if that is feasible. I found this thread from years past in which it is mentioned that some of this software is outdated after 4 years.
Based on price, it looks like Quicken Home and Business might work. Not sure if Basic Quicken will work for us though. Their website is so confusing! Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Previous related thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=229724&highlight=payroll+software

Momof3Labs
02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
It's really pretty straightforward - I'd honestly just throw together a spreadsheet and do it that way. I'm using NannyPay right now but don't trust it (and what I'm doing is so simple, I'm not sure why I'm paying for the software). Plus, with NannyPay, you have to look up all the tax rates and enter them into the system yourself!

janeybwild
02-01-2008, 10:17 PM
It's really pretty straightforward - I'd honestly just throw together a spreadsheet and do it that way. I'm using NannyPay right now but don't trust it (and what I'm doing is so simple, I'm not sure why I'm paying for the software). Plus, with NannyPay, you have to look up all the tax rates and enter them into the system yourself!

Hmm. I guess I'm not seeing it. I've already figured out what the taxes would be each week, but is that all I need? If so, I could see an Excel spreadsheet would work fine. How do I do a W2 without software though? What about a a paystub too? This all seems so overwhelming to me right now, I appreciate your insight Lori. Thanks.

Momof3Labs
02-01-2008, 11:29 PM
You can just type the information into the W2 (in fact, Nanny Pay did such a crappy job lining up the boxes that I should have gone straight to the typewriter). For a paystub, you could put together a sheet in Excel (separate from the sheet where you keep track of weekly pay) and just drop in the numbers each week (really easy when the pay doesn't vary from week to week).

Alys the Cat
02-01-2008, 11:39 PM
We don't use a special software program, either. My husband had a short meeting with our accountant, and they set everything up in Excel. If you're unsure about going it alone, it may be worth a consultation.

annasmom
02-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Janey -

It doesn't seem like you are considering it, but I just wanted to let you know that I used Breedlove when I had my nanny. Just in case you had any questions about that route as well. Good luck!!

janeybwild
02-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks everyone, you rock :)