PDA

View Full Version : Desk to grow with?

s7714
02-02-2008, 01:38 AM
DD is going to be starting Kindergarten next year, so I kind of want to get a little desk of some sort that she can do her homework at. She loves to draw, so I know she'd be using it for her art as well. I'd like to get something that can actually be used for a number of years instead of something that is more of a toy than a functional desk.

Does anyone have a simple desk that works well for their school age DCs?

TIA!

kedss
02-03-2008, 02:40 PM
We had a tough time finding a desk for our 4 year old who is about the size of a kindergartner(he's 44inches tall), but we did find a wooden Ikea table with chairs that will probably last maybe a year, he works on his laptop on it, draws on it, and uses it a lot. :)

here's the table and chair set:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/87474709

We figure its worth it as he will have a brother or sister that can use it in a couple years, and we will have to get him a bigger one anyway, by then. :)

kcampbell
02-03-2008, 06:22 PM
We just purchased a table from Land of Nod that converts from a table with three different sized legs (one they can play at, then the next sit at with small chair, and finally a regular sized set of legs for desk height). Although it was pricey, we are hoping that it will last for many years. Currently, it is used to hold the dollhouse and then we will move "up" from there.

s7714
02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
We just purchased a table from Land of Nod that converts from a table with three different sized legs (one they can play at, then the next sit at with small chair, and finally a regular sized set of legs for desk height). Although it was pricey, we are hoping that it will last for many years. Currently, it is used to hold the dollhouse and then we will move "up" from there.

That's an interesting idea! I hadn't thought of just changing the leg height on a table to make it work longer. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the idea!

s7714
02-04-2008, 06:41 PM
We had a tough time finding a desk for our 4 year old who is about the size of a kindergartner(he's 44inches tall), but we did find a wooden Ikea table with chairs that will probably last maybe a year, he works on his laptop on it, draws on it, and uses it a lot. :)

We do have a little table and chairs, so I'll probably just use that until I find something better.

jenmcadams
02-05-2008, 04:55 PM
You can do a google search for Activity tables and see if you find one you like. These are the types of tables that have four adjustable legs and nice big surface area for art projects and homework...the same kinds of tables you might find in a preschool or early elementary classroom.

We have a small folding banquet table that my DD uses right now, but I looked into these a while ago. You can find them at places like Lakeshore Learning or other educational supply stores. Here's an example of what I mean:

http://tinyurl.com/27rv26

I like these vs. the table we have now b/c kids can sit the way they're supposed to with their feet on the ground and the table at the right level.

LBW
02-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Flexa has a nice student desk. The legs extend, so you can make it taller when needed. I also think the surface tilts. I'm probably going to get one for DS1 this summer before kindergarten starts.

Here's a link to pictures:
http://www.shopflexa.com/FLEXA-Pullout-desk-p/72902.htm