PDA

View Full Version : Very hard time finding a crib

tmonroe
02-02-2008, 08:36 AM
There are so many out there, so many brands and even with the help of the baby bargain book this process is becoming really stressful for me. We've already been to two furniture stores, I've done a lot of research but the selections are so many. We decided against Baby Appleseed after some major complaints on this site. We saw a really cute sorelle for about $399. I'm just nervous about purchasing a crib and then having issues with it once the baby starts sleeping in it full time. Some words of encouragement or a gentle "CALM DOWN LADY!" might help. Thanks!

KBecks
02-02-2008, 10:39 AM
It will be fine. If you like the crib and have seen it on a display model and it's nice looking and you can work the drop side and seems sturdy enough, it will be fine. :)

I don't think you will be too dissatisfied with a crib, they're pretty basic. We purchased one for our first and borrowed one for our second son and the borrowed one was a little less solid feeling and had exposed hardware but it worked just fine.

Good luck and have fun!

sidmand
02-02-2008, 03:45 PM
It'll be fine. It's amazing how much you change your thoughts for a second one too! I was just saying that I did a ton of research, we ordered a crib months in advance for DS, I had to a have a specific model...I didn't want a drop side, I checked them for sturdiness...

Now whatever we can borrow or get really cheap (as long as it's safe!) is going to be what we use for DD! Poor thing is already getting the shaft and she's not even born yet.

The baby is either going to like a crib or not like a crib, but I don't think it matters so much what crib it is--IYKWIM. As long as it meets all the safety standards, it's more what the parents want in a crib.

Some people never use one at all. We're hoping to use ours until DS goes to college! :) Well, as long as possible anyway.

tmonroe
02-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. We actually purchase a Baby Italia crib today. It was on sale for 279.99 and not a floor model. It looked a heck of a lot like the baby appleseed davenport we wanted. The store tried to get us to purchase a mattress but I'd like to get one of those organic ones. I am so happy we purchased this crib. They're delivering it to us next weekend:cheerleader1: :cheerleader1: Decided to go to a mom and pop shop to buy the dresser but I'm going to try craigslist first. The store had a very cheap Simplicity dresser for $279.99:32:

amconwa
02-02-2008, 05:51 PM
It took my husband and I forever to figure out what to do about a crib. I feel your pain. We ended up with Stanley Young America's myHaven Drop-Side crib in a beautiful coffee (I think that was the stain) color. It was $550 or so, but we rationalized it for the hidden hardware, sturdy knee-push drop mechanism, obvious quality craftsmanship, and metal mattress springs. Husband was not keen on cribs with particle board bottoms, slats, etc. We also decided against a crib that converted, considering that this is our first child, and this crib should last through all the kids. Why convert if we need the crib again soon? :) Plus, we may want a different big boy bed for our son. Who knows....maybe it would help to decide which features are the most important and go from there. You'll figure it out.

FWIW, my four-week-old son won't even go in his bassinet Pack N Play for long. He does here and there. We were co-sleepers from Day One, and I didn't even consider that happening. So, at the moment, the crib is sittin' pretty. :) He'll use it eventually.

HTH. Anne

gatorsmom
02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Good to hear you found one you like. It didn't take me as long to find a bedroom set as it did to find a stroller! I'm not exagerating- I researched strollers for a full 3 weeks. I was obsessed.

Preparing for a baby is hardwork, isn't it?

tmonroe
02-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Good to hear you found one you like. It didn't take me as long to find a bedroom set as it did to find a stroller! I'm not exagerating- I researched strollers for a full 3 weeks. I was obsessed.

Preparing for a baby is hardwork, isn't it?

It sure is hard work. The store tried to get me to purchase one of their mattresses but I didn't do enough research on mattress buying. It will probably take me another month to figure out which one is best. LOL

hbridge
02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
If you can find a store that you trust that may help you feel better. We went to a very small independent baby/children's store and were able to get the crib, cradle, and stroller for just a little more (<10%) than they would have cost at BRU. The store stood behind all of their products, we were dealing with the owner and manager, the buyer was available as well when we had questions. My DH laughs since I did months of stroller research and ended up buying the one this place recommended the FRIST time we went in (at 16weeks preg.). Unfortunately, the store has since closed (after decades in business). However, if you can find a store that you trust to take care of you, you may feel better.

Also, remember that every crib/cradle/stroller/carseat out there meets the safety standards. So, just find what you like and what feels right to you.