PDA

View Full Version : Gift suggestions for MIL?

vludmilla
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I would like to get a gift, or a few to be given over time, for my MIL but I am having a VERY hard time coming up with good ideas. My MIL is absolutely wonderful; she is like a mother to me. She helps DH and I out tremendously. She watches DD twice a week and used to do it FT when I went back to work after my 6 month maternity leave. She is very thoughtful and frequently does nice things for us like give us some money to go out to dinner, make us a special meal, offer to watch DD so we can work on our dissertations, give us money for school...

Unfortunately, she is very difficult to buy for because she isn't materialistic at all and doesn't like the usual things. She has given me many of the gifts that others have bought her since she wouldn't use them (nail salon GC's, etcetera). I've bought her jewelry and clothes before but she is retired and there is only so much of that she can even use. I also don't want to keep getting her the same uninspired sweater or earrings.

Does anyone have any unique ideas for a very non-materialistic MIL who basically had what she wants?

LD92599
02-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd highly recommend photo books - either mypublisher.com, shutterfly, snapfish, etc.

I get them for my MIL along w/ other books of stuff my DS has made, colored etc. For this past Christmas i took alot of his colorings from throughout the year and had them bound into a book at Staples w/ a laminated cover (to make it more sturdy). It's one of the "priceless" gifts that no one else can give, other than yourself.

Good luck! MIL's are hard!

lizajane
02-02-2008, 10:41 AM
love the photobook idea.

how about a flower of the month? every month, she gets a seasonal live flower. i would LOVE to have this gift.

fruit of the month?

gift certificate to a bookstore? or do you think you could choose a book for her?

what does she like to do? my MIL is easy to buy for because she loves crafts, decorating, baking, walking, sewing, knitting... she and i are similar in this regard.

an herb garden for her window?

a lovely throw blanket for her sofa for when she is curled up reading a book? or watching tv?

MamaMolly
02-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm all for consumable gifts, something she can DO. For someone who isn't materialistic, making memories might be more fun. I'm thinking of something like passes to a museum for her and your DC, or lessons in an activity she might enjoy.
What does she do in her leisure time? Bridge? Golf? Sew? Cook? Getting her a class in an activity she likes would be a nice gift.

I have a similar problem with DD's great grandma. The woman has more money than God and she gives away what she doesn't want or use, so I've found gifts like Harry and David tend to overwhelm her. So my MIL suggested giving a donation to Public Radio in her name as a gift.
HTH,

ThreeofUs
02-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Some of the best gifts we've gotten DH's mother (also rich and non-materialistic) are:
-Fall, Winter, and Spring of flowers from her local florist (but be careful to specify the flowers you want, or they'll send carnations every month!)
-Small "art" gifts from our local museum - a cloissone (sp?) firefly box was a big hit.
-Tickets to big exhibitions or even great small travelling galleries.
and
-Small textiles (like pillow covers) from her favorite cities (Paris, etc.)

But she really likes art, and we know what she'd like from being in her home.

HTH!

hellokitty
02-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Does she enjoy crafts and that sort of thing? If so, maybe buy her a GC to one of the craft stores so she can take a class.

Does she like to watch movies? A netflix subscription would be nice.

Or you can just be practical and get her a GC to the grocery store or something, that way you know she would use it.

Happy 2B mommy
02-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Dh and I do this for his mom, not because she's non-materialistic, but because she is just the opposite! She's a shopaholic and we refuse to get her more stuff. We weren't too sure how it would go over, but she just LOVES them. Some things we've done are:

Museum membership
Art fair tour/trip
Symphony tickets
Football tickets to a Wisconsin Football game (Whole family of Badger alums- GO BADGERS!)
Cooking class offered by the chef/owner of her favorite resturant (really lucky with that one)

Perhaps she might also like a donation in her honor to a cause/charity in which she strongly believes?

And can I just say that I am totally jealous of your relationship with your MIL. You are very lucky.

Kerri
DD 11/06

vludmilla
02-02-2008, 04:20 PM
"And can I just say that I am totally jealous of your relationship with your MIL. You are very lucky."

I know. Apparently my MIL had a wonderful MIL who was an inspiration to her. I hope that I too will be a good MIL in the future. FWIW, my relationship with my actual mother is pretty stinky, so in some ways my MIL fulfills the role my own mother couldn't.