PDA

View Full Version : Off shoot of piano thread...any buying tips?

s7714
02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I've really been thinking about getting a piano soon so that both I and my DDs can learn to play. Does anyone have any tips on buying a piano?

I see pianos going for really cheap quite frequently on CL or Freecycle, but have put off seriously looking into them because I have no idea how to tell if it's a "good" piano or not. I mean for $50 I know I wouldn't be getting something of fantastic quality, but I don't want to get stuck with a piece of junk either, iykwim. (And speaking of which, is that old saying about old pianos being better than new ones true, or is that a myth?)

My other question is about moving pianos--just how much muscle would we be talking about to move a standard sized upright piano? That's the other thing making me nervous about getting one from CL since we'd have to find the man power and truck space to move one ourself!

TIA if anyone has any tips!

ThreeofUs
02-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Hmmm... well, I don't know a whole lot, but I do have a few pianos and studied at the Peabody Conservatory.

I got my main piano (an old church model, circa 1875 manufacture) for free, and it has fantastic sound. I got it from an old church that was moving.

I didn't, however, move this piano to SoCal when I lived there, because I lived on the coast and didn't want to upset the instrument's balance. Big changes in humidity, temperature, etc. aren't good for a piano. DH bought me a good electronic piano (quite a lot of money!), but I like the sound and feel of my old piano better.

So, my advice for a great old instrument would be to look for a piano with a full harp in a very heavy frame that is from your area. (The harp in my piano is in a cast iron frame and it's taller than I am at 5'2".) This will take quite a bit of muscle power to move.

That said, there are quite a few small-harp pianos out there that provide decent sound. I think maybe I'd call a piano tuner (from your yellow pages, or call a local music conservatory/school for tuner recommendations) and ask his/her advice on models that would be good for you.

MarisaSF
02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm no expert, but when I was shopping for a piano, I read the forums at Piano World -- great tips and reviews! http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

MontrealMum
02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I, too, don't have any piano expertise, but here are a few suggestions.

I have an electronic keyboard since we don't have room for a real piano at this time. They don't cost all that much. It's less than perfect, missing about an octave at both the top and bottom, and the keys have a very different feel, but I think it'd be enough for a child just starting out. You'd want to buy a real one later on.

My singer friends (who have very little $$ since they are singers!) mostly own former practice pianos bought from music departments. These are quite beaten up and need tuning but other than that, usually OK, and generally very good brands. If there is a college or university in your area call their music department up and ask if they ever sell their practice pianos, and for details. Here, we have one university with both a conservatory and a world-class music program, and they do it annually.

Also, you might want to look into professional moving if you do shell out major cash for a piano. Many movers will advertise whether they specialize in pianos or not. Of course here they often have to be lifted out of upper floors by cranes (narrow stairwells) but maybe that's not such an issue in other parts of the country. Just a suggestion.

Melanie
02-04-2008, 04:57 AM
We've both been given and sold a piano before, so here's my limited knowledge. If you know anyone who plays really really well, have them go with you to check out the pianos, if not find a friendly piano tuner who you can hire to go with you (or perhaps maybe make a deal so he gets any repair or tuning work once you purchase one?).

And for certain have a professional piano mover move it for you. Regardless it will need tuning from the transport once it arrives.

When we sold one the person brought their relative who played fantastically to 'review' it before they purchased it from us.