PDA

View Full Version : At what age was your DS regularly using potty?

joyful mommy
02-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi. I know there are many theories out there on whether to be laid back or take charge (and everything in between) with respect to potty training. Also, lots of advice/tips on rewards, etc. Haven't found a reward system that consistently works with DS yet though. I also know that boys take longer than girls.

All that said, DS is now nearly 3 1/2 and not the least bit interested in using the potty regularly. I say regularly because he knows how to use it, and has done so many times -- rarely consistently for more than a day or two, if that even. I would say that for the last couple of months (we've completely stepped back and rarely even mention it anymore) he shows no inclination at all. He seemed more interested earlier. Used to want to use big boy pants, though was sometimes using them as diapers. Diapers are just fine with him -- poopy, wet, no matter. He doesn't particularly even like to have them changed at all. If he could get by with avoiding a change all day, he would!

DS #2 (1 yr) shows more interest in the potty than DS #1. Even if the arrival of DS #2 set us back, shouldn't that be behind us by now? It seems to be in every other way.

Please let me know when your DSs were regularly using the potty? Is 3.25 years really the average?

JBaxter
02-02-2008, 10:01 PM
My oldest was 26ish months middle was about 28 months and my youngest was 30 months when they were daytime diaper free. "I" dont do diapers past 2 1/2 in my house ( nights/naps are different). All 3 I picked a day and did naked for a week it took them a couple days to get the hang of it but by day we had very few or no accidents. My family calls it potty boot camp. My niece was 20 months so I dont know about 3.25 being average I think that sounds pretty old at least for my family.

SnuggleBuggles
02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
My ped said to aim for 4yo with a boy. My ds pt'ed in a day. That day was 1.5 months before he turned 4. In hindsight I totally wouldn't have stressed about things. Diapers aren't that bad. Of course, I wouldn't mind if my newest ds decided to pt at 2.5 years or something. ;)

Beth

o_mom
02-02-2008, 10:37 PM
DS1 was using the potty when naked at around 2 years 9 mos and switched over to completely trained (not just naked) right at 3 years.

DS2 is 2 yrs 9 mos and not quite getting it yet.

joyful mommy
02-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks. We may be on a similar course. I wouldn't be surprised at all now if DS2 was trained by 2 yrs. Then again, I once thought DS1 would have been PT'd by the time DS2 arrived. DS2 seems intrigued by the potty seat, the potty ring, etc. Really, he's intrigued by anything DS1 does or can do and wants to do it all too -- now. ;)

ETA: Oops! I was replying to Beth's post -- apparently too slowly though. Sorry for any confusion.

kijip
02-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Toby was using the potty on a regular basis at 2.5 and was using the potty always (without more than very rare accidents) at around 2 years, 9 months.