PDA

View Full Version : Totally ot-did yahoo sell to microsoft?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-03-2008, 12:40 AM
I heard yesterday that microsoft had made a huge bid. Something like over 40 BILLION dollars. It didn't sound like the company was for sale, just that they were really lagging behind google and microsoft was making an offer. Anyone know if they took it?

tarabenet
02-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Basically a "hostile takeover" bid. Microsoft is worried about the power google has, and wants to counter that by owning yahoo. If you, um, google "microsoft yahoo" you'll get links to articles with all kinds of analysis. Yahoo hasn't answered yet -- that would have been much to quick for something like that.

ShanaMama
02-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Basically a "hostile takeover" bid. Microsoft is worried about the power google has, and wants to counter that by owning yahoo. If you, um, google "microsoft yahoo"

I'm sorry but this has me :hysterical:

casey0729
02-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I hope they don't. I left hotmail and MSN because, frankly, they suck. I love my yahoo mail. I will migrate to gmail if they do.

kozachka
02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I heard yesterday that microsoft had made a huge bid. Something like over 40 BILLION dollars. It didn't sound like the company was for sale, just that they were really lagging behind google and microsoft was making an offer. Anyone know if they took it?

While Yahoo was not for sale per say, they had on and off talks with Microsoft for the last 18 months. Very rarely public is aware that the company is up for sale. Yahoo CEO opposed the deal. He left the company on Thursday, the day before MSFT submitted an unsolicited offer for Yahoo.

And Yahoo is not just "lagging behind". At the moment Google has 77% of the world's search traffic. Neither Microsoft nor Yahoo are doing that great in search business lately. There is speculation that other bidders might emerge.

It would be a difficult merger to execute and capture all the synergies due to dramatically different cultures of the two firms.

casey0729
02-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Last I heard they are considering a partnership. Let's hope partnership doesn't include MSN's customer service department.