PDA

View Full Version : Recs please! Convertible for Volvo XC90

elektra
02-03-2008, 02:06 AM
I am looking to buy a convertible seat for DD who is currently 10 ½ mo, 18 pounds, 28 ½ inches, and in a Chicco Key Fit. So she is about 50-60% for height, and 20-30% for weight. I think DD still has a month or 2 left in the KeyFit, but I’d rather not wait till the very last minute, and those Britax sales are at the end of the month right?
The only car seat I have ever installed is DD’s keyfit, and from what I have read here, I am probably spoiled with the ease of use for that seat. So I am looking for something that is relatively easy to install. I am also concerned with the seat fitting properly in the Volvo. I have read that the head rests prevent a solid install for Marathons (although carseatdata.org has a few listings of great installs w/ MA’s??? Maybe the reviewers just don’t realize it’s bad? Maybe the center is not a problem but the sides are?).
Price isn’t the main concern.

I have considered the following:
Britax Boulevard- I like the extra side impact, and adjuster. Although if there is a reason to get the Marathon over the Blvd. I would do that too. Again, my concern is the fit in the car. I do want to rear face as long as possible, so should I just not worry about the FF install at this point?

Roundabout- I was leaning toward the roundabout, but I think DD may outgrow it by height RF too soon. I do like that it supposedly installs really easily. ( Maybe I’ll consider this as a second seat for DH’s Hyundai Santa Fe if the sale is really good!)

Radian 65/80- This may be they best thing for me, although a lot of posts I’ve read seem to indicate that this one can be hard to install, the crotch strap and chest clip can be problematic, etc. Is it really that much trouble? Also, does anyone know if it for sure fits under the headrests in an XC90 when FF?

Compass True Fit- Now that the release date is listed as March after being pushed back twice already, I’ve written off waiting to see this one. It’s too bad too, because this could have been a solution to my concern on the fit in my car (it did still look pretty tall in the picture though!).

Evenflo Triumph Advance- This seat may be a good choice since it’s bigger than the RA but not as tall as the MA. Does this have lockoffs? My concern here would be that the quality wouldn’t be as good as a Britax.

I would love any thoughts or suggestions!

Joolsplus2
02-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Ya gone and done all the research already! :P :ROTFLMAO:

Do you have a better baby store near you to be able to try these out in your car (FF and RF)? BRU would at least have the Britaxes to see if the FF is too upright, but for the Radian you might want to order from Target.com to check it out (if it's a bust, you can take it back to your local store for a free return).

I'm totally nervous about side impacts, but somehow haven't felt compelled to get the Boulevard...I think any rearfacing seat is so safe that I like the convenience of the low sides of the Radian for loading Leah into the car (or Marathon, it's a little taller, but still the sides are low). I am a little more nervous about forward facing seats having SIP, but even then, a 5 pt harness in a car with side airbags is going to be remarkably safe (booster seats? SIP all the way! You'll have to ask me what to buy in 5 years on that front, lol).

Oh, no lockoffs on the EFTA...and you'll be doing a center install with seatbelt, right? Might be a bit of a pain to use a locking clip... I hear it's great, but the straps are twistier than the Britax/Radians.

elektra
02-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks Jools! Yes, I have been lurking here forever, reading, researching, occasionally posting, etc. Did you like my choices? Can you tell I am a pupil of yours? :bowdown:
I still wanted to post though because things on paper can be much different than real life! I was hoping for those "been there, done that, IRL" comments. I guess I was wanting someone to say, "just get the BLVD, don't worry about FF yet" or "just get the RN, it's not as complicated as some make it out to be and it fits FF in an XC90". Hey, one can hope, right? :) I just really trust the opinions here, especially after my Key Fit purchase.

There is a nice baby store near me that has great customer service and I don't think they would have a problem with me testing the installs in my car. So that's what I'll try to do.
And yes, I was thinking center install with the seatbelt, as there is no LATCH in that spot. However, if I get a tighter install outboard, then that is better than a not as good center install, right (ex. if it's loose or if the seat gets pushed forward too much from the headrests)?

ellies mom
02-03-2008, 10:00 PM
My only BTDT advice is to skip the Roundabout unless you can't fit the Marathon or Radian RFing. The RA is a great seat but I really wish we had gotten the Marathon instead simply because it lasts longer.

Marisa6826
02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I have two outboard FF Marathons in my 2005 XC90. They're in there good and tight (LATCH, currently). I'm, uh, on the opposite end of the spectrum from Kate Moss ;), and I can't move them at all.

You just have to be careful to get them in *under* the bottom of the headrest when installing so the kiddo isn't bolt upright.

-m

KrisM
02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I love the BLVDs we have for the headrests. I've not used anything else, so I can't compare on the ease of getting a child in-and-out, but we travel enough that the wings are great pillows for the kids. No heads slumping to the sides.

amandabea
02-04-2008, 01:08 AM
we have a 2007 Volvo XC90 and we have a RFing Marathon. My DH switched it to FFing when my DD turned 1 a week and a half ago and it fit fine...although the headrest was a challenge. Nevertheless, I made him turn it around, so RFing in the outboard position. I guess the passenger seat is further forward than my DH would like, but when we are all in the car, he tends to drive anyway so it's not a problem.
HTH,
Amanda

elektra
02-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Cool! So it sounds like it can be done! Installling a MA or BLVD that is. Britax sales here I come!
Did you ever try center with the seatbelt?
With the infant seat, I think I got a fairly good install, but I was never 100% sure if I should do outboard with LATCH for a little better fit. I always thought center with the belt was safer if you have just one seat in there (and the install is tight). With 2 seats, obviously 1 DC has to go outboard, if not both.

Davids-Coco
02-04-2008, 01:38 AM
ok, stupid question... can you not remove the headrests from the xc90 all together? We are considering this car... and already have marathons.

amandabea
02-04-2008, 01:54 AM

Never tried the center, but I think it would fit just as well if not better.

amandabea
02-04-2008, 01:59 AM
ok, stupid question... can you not remove the headrests from the xc90 all together? We are considering this car... and already have marathons.

My DH said they didn't appear to come off. I think they must, but I haven't checked since I made him flip the seat back to RF.

FWIW, my DH hates this car...I like it just fine, though. I think he hates all SUVs and thinks we should have gone the sedan route. I do see his point that overall it isn't that much bigger than a sedan. I mean it does have the third row seats, but honestly we've never used it and I don't even know anyone who could fit back there (<5'). Like I said, though, I think the car is fine, but the service department leaves a lot to be desired...

Marisa6826
02-04-2008, 02:59 AM
Nope, you can't take them off. They flip down for when you fold the seats to make the second row flat for cargo. I think it's part of the whole Volvo safety whiplash concept. The headrests are very different from 'regular' car headrests. They don't move up and down at all. It's an either/or thing instead.

-m

Marisa6826
02-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Cool! So it sounds like it can be done! Installling a MA or BLVD that is. Britax sales here I come!
With the infant seat, I think I got a fairly good install, but I was never 100% sure if I should do outboard with LATCH for a little better fit. I always thought center with the belt was safer if you have just one seat in there (and the install is tight). With 2 seats, obviously 1 DC has to go outboard, if not both.

Yes, I had a MA RF with a seatbelt install. Got it wicked tight. There is a little metal D-ring that is under the front seats where you can put the tether, btw. You need to move the seat all the way forward to find it, then when you move the seat back to a regular (read: normal height person) position, the tether is that much tighter.

HTH

-m

Joolsplus2
02-04-2008, 08:49 AM
we have a 2007 Volvo XC90 and we have a RFing Marathon. My DH switched it to FFing when my DD turned 1 a week and a half ago and it fit fine...although the headrest was a challenge. Nevertheless, I made him turn it around, so RFing in the outboard position. I guess the passenger seat is further forward than my DH would like, but when we are all in the car, he tends to drive anyway so it's not a problem.
HTH,
Amanda

:cheerleader1: :boogie: :yay: :applause:

YOU are the BEST!!!! Way to go, keeping that baby RF!!!!

Oh, and to the OP, yay, seems like the MA might well fit right under that headrest when FF, that's a major bonus!

elektra
02-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the tip on the RF tether anchor. I was wondering where to look for those things, and I may have never found it without the hint about moving the seat forward first. I have long legs and always have the seat way far back.
So excited to get the seat now. :boogie:

shishamo
02-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi,
I have Marathon and Roundabout and we have installed them pretty much on every 2nd row seat, both RF and FF. They all fit fine. Like PP said, if you RF Roundabout behind the driver seat, the driver won't have too much legroom (my DH is 5'10" and it was a tight fit for him). As for middle seat 2nd row, We have had RF and FF roundabout and FF Marathon in there with no problem, very tight fit.

I also have installed Marathon(s) on the 3rd row with no problem. It's not too bad to get there if you flatten one or two of the 2nd row seats. HTH :-)