PDA

View Full Version : Anyone purchase organic/eco friendly mattress for crib?

tmonroe
02-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I plan on purchasing a mattress made of organic materials for the baby crib. Anyone else have any experience doing this? Would love to know what you think of the product you purchased. Thanks!

MamaMolly
02-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Hmmm. I didn't even know it was an option. Neat! Let us know what you think.

LaCostaMom
02-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I thought about it but I just could not justify the $300+ price tag (especially since we need 2). Instead, I registered for 2 waterproof organic cotton mattress pads. While it's not completely organic, I do appreciate the use of organic cotton.

daisymommy
02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Just an FYI...Babies-R-Us carries one made by Serta that is much less than anywhere else ($179). It is stuffed with organic cotton, and encased in a Phthalates free casing. Then you would put an organic cotton mattress cover over that. True, many of the more pricey mattresses out there are completely encased in organic cotton, not just stuffed with it, but I think this is a better option than a regular vinyl encased mattress that is leaching scary chemicals.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2863621

Here's a bunch of Organics they are now carrying
http://www.toysrus.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2440535

lwcain
02-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I ordered one from Dax Stores online. The mattress is organic cotton and wool, and is made by a company called Vivetique. Dax Stores also sells one with natural rubber, organic cotton (firmer). Depends on your budget and preference.

I will probably receive the mattress in a few weeks, due to high demand and the fact that they're made-to-order. But I know that their stuff is the real deal.

You have to be careful about what retailers present as "organic," especially the big chain stores like BRU. If you read the labels and contents carefully, you'll find that there is often polyester or polyurethane and other unnatural "no-no's" in their products, which defeats the purpose of buying organic. Also, the organic certification process (cotton, wool, etc.) is not a quick and easy one. So, for mass retailers to have a plethora of "organic" items readily available at rock bottom prices is questionable too. It's called "green-washing," and there's a lot of it going on right now.

HTH!

tmonroe
03-08-2008, 12:22 PM
thanks for replying all. we decided not to get the organic mattress because they cost as much as the crib!:hysterical: did find a nice crib on babies r us. will order it and get the organic mattress cover for it. it was a decent compromise because DH doesn't want us going broke over a mattress.

abemom
03-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I would suggest covering the mattress with a babesafe mattress cover. It covers all the chemicals underneath, and then place the organic mattress cover over that.
Good Luck!

AuroraSilver
03-19-2008, 02:00 AM
I haven't yet bought any of their products, so I can't attest to the quality (if you have, please let me know), but these are the cheapest organic cotton mattresses and covers that I've seen.

http://kidbean.com/orbabe.html