PDA

View Full Version : How cold is cold?

trales
02-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Friends from the south and I have been having a debate. How cold is cold. It has been around 35 degrees and seems warm enough to not wear a winter coat or put DD in anything more than a blanket.

Here is my thoughts on dressing DD and myself.

Fahrenheit scale

Above 75 - too hot to live
55-75 - perfection, t-shirt weather
35-55 - a nice sweater, and blanket for the car seat
0-35 - a light winter coat and bunting for DD - hats and gloves for all
below zero - winter coat for me, snowsuit for DD

What do you think, my friend thinks we are crazy and under dress.

pinkmomagain
02-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Above 95 - too hot to live
85-95 hot
65-85 nice
50-65 light jacket
32-50 winter jacket
<32 please don't make me go outside

I think alot of this also depends if you are running in and out of cars/stores, or if you are standing around with dc at park for an hour. For instance, today in NY it was about 50 and I ran around on all my errands with no jacket at all. Hurray for global warming :-)

Gina

lizajane
02-03-2008, 09:41 PM
count me in the "girl, you craaaaazy" category!!!

we cleary do not have the same "winter coat" as you do. but we wear a winter coat when it is 45 and below. that isn't necessarily a parka or down coat. but it is a COAT and not a jacket. for 45-55, a fleece coat or pull over if not a coat. for 55-60, a light jacket or sweater. for 60 and up i can't get my kids in a jacket. but i might have on a sweater or light jacket.

i think 75 is awesome. 80 is great. 85 is warm. 90 is hot. 95 is blazing. 100 is near death. (consider how much humidity we have here in NC, too!!)

but yes, you are VERY skewed by wherever you live.

eta: my kids are in hats below 45 and i am definitely in a scarf.

SnuggleBuggles
02-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Above 87- too hot!
77-87- hot but not too bad if humidity is low
65-77- wonderful!
55-65- maybe a light jacket, depends on if it is a warm or cool breezy and sunny vs cloudy/ rainy
45-55- same as above, maybe a winter coat if it is cloudy, cold wind, or rainy; maybe a blanket for baby
35-45- winter coat for me, layers for baby and a blanket
25-35- coats, fleecy snow suity thing for baby and a blanket
less than that the works! Brrr!

I really try not to overdress baby. It gets warm in the car and it's usually warm where we are going. I don't do more than run from my house to the car to the destination and back again in less than 35-40 degree weather so I am just not too worried.

Beth

Marisa6826
02-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Above 90 - too hot to live
Above 85 - too hot to go outside of my blissfully a/c'd house unless lured with something very promising ;)
75-85 - I'm sweating big time, and NOT a happy camper
65-75 - nice enough to be outside for quite a while
45-65 - PERFECT!
40-45 - I don't wear a coat, and have the girls in a light one
30-40 - I'll wear a 'wooly pully' a/k/a polar fleece unless I'm "dressed up" and wear a real coat. Girls wear winter coats and hats.
20-30 - I'll wear a couple layers, girls are bundled
below 20 - It's cold! I'll pull out the fur coat, especially if it's windy - and will preheat the car before bringing the girls out of the house.

BTW, I'm in Northern NJ :)

-m

Emmas Mom
02-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I think you're crazy too! ;) But for us Arizona is home (even though we're not living there right now). So consider the fact that I think of heat with NO humidity...which makes a huge difference to me. I can do heat with no humidity, add humidity & this ALL changes.

Above 110....please don't make me go outside unless it's in the pool
100 - 110....very hot
90 - 100....hot
80 - 90....warm
70 - 80....perfect
60 - 70....sweater/light jacket weather
50 - 60....multiple layers weather
40 - 50....parka weather
Below 40....please don't make me go outside. ;)

KrisM
02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I can not imagine being out in 5 deg weather with only a light winter coat on! I'd surely freeze.

Here's mine, and I'm in MI.
above 85 - too hot
70-85 - pretty nice, unless it's humid
60-70 - no coat still, short sleeves and likely pants
45-60 - if it's fall, a light jacket. If it's spring, long sleeves
30-45 - a moderate winter coat for all
20-30 - moderate winter coat, hats and gloves
below 20 - warm winter coat, hats and gloves

o_mom
02-03-2008, 11:23 PM
over 85 - too hot
70-85 - shorts/ t-shirt
50-70 - pants/t-shirt with jacket as needed (windbreaker no lining)
30-50 - pants/long sleees, coat optional to and from the car
10-30 - pants/long sleeves, coat not optional out of the car
below 10 - pants/long sleeves, fleece jacket in car, coat not optional out of the car

Pretty much below 50 we have blankets available in the car. I wear a LE Squall Parka and zip/unzip as needed. Mittens and hats or hoods as needed. Some of it depends on windchill, too.

maestramommy
02-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Where do you live, Maine?:ROTFLMAO:

Just kidding. But I think one's sense of hot and cold really depends on the region where they live. Not just temp, but humidity. Out here in So Cal, it can vary even by 40 miles. So where my mom lives, more inland, 95 is hot, but bearable. But 95 where I live, near the water, it would be too hot to live. As for cold, 60 and under and we are starting to bundle up. The humidity just makes it feel colder and clammier.

sarahsthreads
02-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Let's see...

90+ - too hot to live
75-90 - I'd like some A/C, please! Or at least a pool...
55-75 - Why can't it be like this year-round?!? T-shirts (or maybe a light l/s shirt in the fall) for all!
35-55 - Sweaters and/or light corduroy jacket for me & DD, plus a hat for DD if it's less than 45.
25-35 - Lined jackets, maybe the winter coats if there's enough wind chill. Definitely hats at this point, possibly gloves too.
0-25 - Winter coats, hats, gloves/mittens. The seat warmers in my Subaru are starting to be a really nice extra feature now!
below 0 - Forget it. Errands and what not can wait until tomorrow, when it's bound to be warmer. If the nose hairs freeze just thinking about going outside, it's too d@mn cold!

Sarah :)

kijip
02-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Above 85 and I am dying. Rarely gets above 85 in Seattle. Very rarely gets to 95ish.
75-85 can be nice, can be too hot. Have to be careful in the sun.
65-75- perfect and nice, no layers
45-65- have a layer for when the sun sets. Perfect weather.
35-45- have a sweater and maybe a jacket, Toby wears a lighter coat.
Anything below 35 and in is winter coat and hats, gloves etc.
However it NEVER goes below 15-20 in Seattle. NEVER and it rarely drops below 25 in the winter. We get wildly erratic days that will start at 25 and go up to 50 and down to 30 again, so layers that get shed as needed are common here.

When my nephew from FL was here, he needed a coat in July for night ball games when the rest of us were in short sleeves and sandals. Bodies regulate themselves to the temperature they are used to a lot. People in hot parts of the world wear sweaters/layers when it is 75 degrees.

lisams
02-04-2008, 01:14 AM
I think you're crazy too! ;) But for us Arizona is home (even though we're not living there right now). So consider the fact that I think of heat with NO humidity...which makes a huge difference to me. I can do heat with no humidity, add humidity & this ALL changes.

Above 110....please don't make me go outside unless it's in the pool
100 - 110....very hot
90 - 100....hot
80 - 90....warm
70 - 80....perfect
60 - 70....sweater/light jacket weather
50 - 60....multiple layers weather
40 - 50....parka weather
Below 40....please don't make me go outside. ;)

Yes, this! We wear sweaters if it is below 70! Anything below 60 feels pretty cold to me! Living in Arizona has made me a wimp to cold weather.

caheinz
02-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Totally depends.

Right now, 50 would be downright pleasant. In the middle of July, it's chilly.

Dry heat gets hot around 105. Humid heat, around 90, maybe even 85.

Below zero is always downright cold, and it doesn't matter if that's with or without wind.

MontrealMum
02-04-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm not sure if I can join in this or not since I do warm temps in Farenheit, and cold ones in Celsius. A consequence of moving between countries and never fully integrating.

90F + - are you kidding me? I'm melting...you haven't experience humidity until you've been up here in the summer, you'd think...further north, cooler in the summer, but not so...

80-90F - I'll go out if I have to, and even exercise if you motivate me with something cold

50-75F - the perfect temp! Why can't it be like this all the time?

below 50F I start wearing a variety of light hats, gloves, and jackets depending on what I'm doing and how I'm getting there

0-20C - hat, lightly lined gloves, lined wool coat (long), boots dependant on what I have to walk through, but not necessarily lined, sometimes wellies

-5C - I switch the wool coat for a down one, and wear warmer gloves, wool scarf, boots depend on the slush factor

-10C - depends on the wind, but...long down coat, alpine-worthy ski mitts, scarf over the face at all times, hat and maybe hood up on coat; high, lined boots

-20C - -15C Yes, I still have to go out in this temp. All of the above, plus long underwear under my pants, Sorels, and maybe dermatone on the face. Of course if I have to dig the car out I might wear less :(

-30C - -20C Inside praying that I don't have to go out! And that if I do, the car will start or that the bus won't be late! By this point poor DS is completely stiff in all his layers :) It's very cute.

Oh, I live in the Great White North - Quebec.

trales
02-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I live in Northern New England, middle New Hampshire. My temps were for quick trips outside. If we are going snow shoeing and going to be out for awhile below 35, I put her in lots of layers, fewer for me.

What do you keep you house at?

64 during the day and 52 at night.

In my perfect world it would 68-72 all summer at 32-38 with snow all winter.

MontrealMum
02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
We keep our house at 70 during the day, but sometimes jack it up a bit if it looks like the power might go out - think ice storm. It goes down to 64 at night. We'd keep it cooler (and it probably actually is) but our insulation is not good so we lose alot.

Trales' perfect temps sound great to me, with this addition/clarification...I like the winter temps to be at least -5, and not so close to 0...because I hate klister, and the whole point of snow is skiing :)

I think I read in one post a high temp of 110F - you poor people! That would be the end of me.

schums
02-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Kris, I'm with you. We're in MI also, and this is exactly how I feel. Although 60-70 in early spring or late fall might mean a sweatshirt instead of short sleeves.

Piglet
02-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Ditto - I live in Calgary. This morning was a beautiful, sunny -20C. -30C with windchill. Tomorrow a chinook is expected and temp should hit 0C - yay!!

AngelaS
02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
90+ too hot
65 to 80--lovely
50 to 65--light jackets
30-50--winter coats
10 -30--parkas, hats, the whole nine yards
under 10-- don't make me go out!

elektra
02-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Wow! I guess by living in CA, and by doing most of my traveling in Spring, Summer or Fall, I just don't completely comprehend how cold everyone is out there outside of LALA land!

95+ Doable as long as I am within a few feet of either ocean or river.
90+ Yes it's hot but with a tank top, shorts, sunscreen and a bit of a breeze I am aok.
80-89 A great summer day
70-80 The ideal temp zone. I would have a jacket on hand for later in the day.
60-70- a little chilly, long pants and long sleeves or short sleeves and sweatshirt. Same for DD.
Anything below 60 and I have pants, long sleeves, and a jacket. DD would also get a blanket. The "severe cold weather" story will be appearing on the local news. I think I took DD for a walk in the stroller last week and it was about 53. I had her in a shirt, pants, fleece jacket, fleece hat and 2 blankets. I had my down north face jacket.
20 I think the only time I have experienced the 10-20 degree range was while snowboarding in Colorado. I guess you can get used to just about anything, but I don't know if I could do 20 degrees on a daily basis.
I've never experienced below 0 weather.