PDA

View Full Version : Last minute tips...flying with my kids

geochick
02-04-2008, 12:33 AM
We fly with our kids (4yo and 20mo) quite a bit. The long flights are so hard for us. My youngest is absolutely horrible on long (>3hrs) flights. We'll be flying 2 hrs, then a 3 hr layover, then a 5hr flight on Saturday.

I always pack a ton of prizes, treats, dvd players, Leapster, etc. My problem is what to do with an over-tired baby who won't fall asleep well unless she's in a bed? Any tips? I always hate to walk the aisles, but in this case, I'm probably going to have to. She screamed and screamed on our last long flight at night. I couldn't find the perfect way to calm her down.

I'm just checking (or begging, really) for any of your tips for flying...or helping kids relax. My baby always has her own seat and car seat, so the extra space is nice! My 4yo is a great traveler now...I have NO worries about him. His little sister on the other hand is a real...um...treat!

Thanks! Please send your best, most positive vibes to us over the Pacific Ocean on Saturday!

californiagirl
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
My problem is what to do with an over-tired baby who won't fall asleep well unless she's in a bed? Any tips? I always hate to walk the aisles, but in this case, I'm probably going to have to. She screamed and screamed on our last long flight at night. I couldn't find the perfect way to calm her down.

Oh, I wish I knew. Our last flight ended with the flight attendants adopting DD and running her up and down the aisles collecting things, and then putting her in first class with a blanket and a cup of warm milk. Everybody was astounded that she STILL didn't fall asleep. But she was at least quiet and happy. (I think I've worked out that I need to cue bedtime better instead of just hoping she falls asleep -- hey, it used to work.)

As for the baby,we actually had a lot of luck when DD was under a year with putting a blanket over her carseat, like putting a cover over a parrot cage? I'd put my head under it too for a while. It made things all dark and cosy and helped. (Yah, I abandon all hope of dignity while traveling with a baby.)

rlu
02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
(Yah, I abandon all hope of dignity while traveling with a baby.)

Amen! And I'd add "toddler" to that sentiment.

I only flew once with DS as an infant and luckily he slept most of the flight. Good luck!