PDA

View Full Version : Getting organized

SAHMIL
02-04-2008, 02:36 AM
I don't know about all of you, but I find that I have a bit of a hard time getting the paperwork for the household organized and feel like I"m constantly overwhelmed by coupons, magazines, catalogs, chores, etc. So, I would like to ask, what do all of you do to stay on top of things? to orgnaize your life? to keep your household in order?

I'm interested in any and all tips!

Thanks!

jbrandy
02-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I am a naturally organized person who is married to a NOT naturally organized person. I would suggest that you can get lots of tips from the FlyLady at flylady.org. She also has a free podcost. This lady is amazing -- I have learned lots from her even though I am naturally able to be organized -- my friends who are not naturally oragnized swear by her methods!

Here are some things we do though -- I have a tin (or a basket would work) in my kitchen where bills and things to be acted on soon go. I check this every Saturday to see if I need to pay a bill. All other paper work goes in a "to be filed" basket in the office. Once every 2 months I file the "to be filed" papers into our filing cabinet. In the filing cabinet there is a drop file for all of the following:

major bills (phone, electricity, etc...)
insurance
instruction booklets
taxes
pay stubs
retirement info
folder for each family members important info
folder for each family members historical stuff (art work, report cards, etc...)

When I pay bills the stubs go to that "to be filed basket" in the office.

But, I find, as the Flylady says, organization is also helped by establishing routines.

I would suggest checking out her website and then try one thing at a time.

Beth
DS 4-4-03
DS 4-18-07