PDA

View Full Version : Can you divorce your SIL?

almostsane
02-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Whew, the pregnancy hormones must really be kicking in, because everything SIL says pisses me off. Here are snippets of our conversation from Saturday.

SIL: Did you take DS to have his pictures made today?
Me: Yes, he did so good. I took him to an old cabin and made some outdoor ones.
SIL: Well, you should have called us. I would have brought DD over and we could have made some together. (Keep in mind, I have 3 nieces and 3 nephews, not just hers)
Me: Well, since it was his 3rd birthday, I just thought I would do some of him by himself.
SIL: Well, I would have liked to take some of DD!

WTF? You have the exact same camera as I do, can you not do them yourself?

Later in day…

SIL: What time does DS’s party begin? (Ok, I sent you an invitation)
Me: It is from 11:00-12:30.
SIL: Ummmm, that is going to fall during DD’s nap time.
Me: I’m sorry about that. DS is old enough now to know what a birthday is and I didn’t want to spend the entire day fighting with him and explaining that his party was not until after lunch. This way, he gets to have it early and everyone will get to have lunch. We are serving pizza, so maybe DD can just eat and then take a nap. (Her DD is 2 ½ )
SIL: Well, I would think that you would understand and not schedule his party at naptime. He does still take a nap right?

What do you even say to that? Why should I schedule my party around you? Do you call me to confirm a good time for me when you are having a party?

Okay last one...later on

SIL: (after she has just rubbed my 6 ½ month protruding stomach) Well, it sure is nice to see you finally showing.
Me: Ummm, yeah.
SIL: Until now, I really couldn’t tell you were even pregnant except that your boobs are huge!
Me: Ummm, yeah. :irked:

Okay, that is just wrong on so many levels. BTW, I am one of those people that does NOT like to have my belly rubbed and do not understand why some people feel the need to rub a pregnant woman’s belly without her asking you to!

ThreeofUs
02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't know if you can divorce a SIL, but I think you can separate! I've been trying for 11 years now, and have just decided less is best. ;)

Anyway, hope it gets better soon!

hellokitty
02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Ugh, your sil sounds like a very self centered person. I don't blame you for not wanting to have anything to do with her. I suggest you get caller id to avoid speaking to her.

Bean606
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
If you figure out how to do it, please fill me in!

gatorsmom
02-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Naptime is from 11-12:30? Who has their kid nap then? Isn't that usually lunchtime?

I can't see how you could have planned that any better. For those children who still take a morning and afternoon nap, it seems that that time would fall nicely in between.

sometimes, you just can't win, kwim?

katydid1971
02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
:yeahthat:

MontrealMum
02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I can really empathize with you, my SIL is very similar in thinking that the world revolves around her...but I don't have any great solutions either. She's a PITA and we've found over the years the less contact the better. Caller ID is a good start though...depending on her shape I'd squeeze her 'belly' right back (of course if she's a real twig, that wouldn't really make your point). Not that I've ever done it, but it makes a better statement than a simple "hands off".

Remember, it's not all about her, and here's hoping things get better soon :)

maestramommy
02-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm, I'm, I'm completely speechless:confused:

Nice piece of work:32:

Britt
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Get a shirt with a message on it that's something along the lines of "hands off" or "no touchy" and wear it next time you're around her. Or you could always just ask her if she's pregnant next time you see her:p . Hope things get better.

egfmba
02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow! I am so sorry your SIL is such a self-involved crazy! What kind of woman tells you to schedule your kid's birthday party around her needs!??!?!

I wish you luck. I'm with ThreeofUs. Separate. Spend as little time as possible with her.

eva

elizabethkott
02-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I think your SIL has been spending too much time with Mrs. Jones.
Either that or foot-in-mouth-disease is catching and spreading like wildfire!
She sounds like a totally self-centered horror show. Yucky yuck yuck!

almostsane
02-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Let me start by saying that I have had no sleep due to the bad weather here in the south. I think I slept about 3 hours last night! Anyway, SIL calls last night and DH answers the phone. (I would not have answered).

SIL: How is the party planning going?
me: Fine thanks, I actually have everything planned. I just need to order the pizzas so they will be ready early.
SIL: Oh, you are having pizza. (Uh oh, here comes something)
Me: Yes, I thought that would be easy and DS loves pizza.
SIL: Well, DD is not crazy about pizza. Are you having anything else?
Me: Um, yeah, cupcakes.
SIL: Oh, well I guess I could stop and get DD something else, but what if there are other kids who don't eat pizza? What are you going to do about them?
Me: Well, SIL, I am going to serve pizza. I hope that everyone else will eat it, but if not, they can just eat the cupcakes. I am pretty sure that most everyone will eat the pizza.

SIL: Well, what I called about is are you giving away goodie bags?
Me: (thinking, WTF?, is she seriously asking me this) Yes, I have bags for the kids.
SIL: Oh good, DD thinks she should get one at every party she goes to. We went to one this weekend and she cried because she didn't get one. Are you putting candy or toys in it?
Me: UUUMMMM, I have candy in it. I made sure that each child gets age appropriate candy.
SIL: Ohhhhh, well, we are trying to cut back on DD's candy intake.
Me: SIL, my call waiting beeping, let me call you back later. DH is expecting a call!

I just can not believe the gall of this woman. Just speechless here.

Whew, the pregnancy hormones must really be kicking in, because everything SIL says pisses me off. Here are snippets of our conversation from Saturday.

SIL: Well, you should have called us. I would have brought DD over and we could have made some together. (Keep in mind, I have 3 nieces and 3 nephews, not just hers)
Me: Well, since it was his 3rd birthday, I just thought I would do some of him by himself.

Later in day…

Me: I’m sorry about that. DS is old enough now to know what a birthday is and I didn’t want to spend the entire day fighting with him and explaining that his party was not until after lunch. This way, he gets to have it early and everyone will get to have lunch. We are serving pizza, so maybe DD can just eat and then take a nap. (Her DD is 2 ½ )
SIL: Well, I would think that you would understand and not schedule his party at naptime. He does still take a nap right?

What do you even say to that? Why should I schedule my party around you? Do you call me to confirm a good time for me when you are having a party?

Okay last one...later on

SIL: (after she has just rubbed my 6 ½ month protruding stomach) Well, it sure is nice to see you finally showing.
SIL: Until now, I really couldn’t tell you were even pregnant except that your boobs are huge!

Okay, that is just wrong on so many levels. BTW, I am one of those people that does NOT like to have my belly rubbed and do not understand why some people feel the need to rub a pregnant woman’s belly without her asking you to!

elizabethkott
02-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Holy. Crap.
You have to be kidding me.
I have a feeling that they not only broke the mold she came in, they burned it.
Wow. That's all I've got.
Wow.

Jacksonvol
02-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Glad you guys are o.k. after the storms. I was up til' @ 2:30 and then again at 6:30 to begin my day. If ANYONE had called to interrogate/guilt me about food choice and goody bag contents, there would have been an audible click where the planets snapped into alignment and my stress and spleen would have been fully vented. Your poor niece may not have many goody bags to cry over based on her mom's behavior.

deborah_r
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds like someone needs a wake-up call that this party is for YOUR child, not HERS!

Fairy
02-08-2008, 04:45 PM
If you can divorce your SIL, I want in.

tmonroe
02-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Later in day…

Okay last one...later on

I thought my sister in law was a pain in the behind but you sister in laws behavior is really out of line. Is she going through something that might be the reason why she's acting like a jacka** or is she usually like this? My SIL is a pain in the behind too but I just ignore her other than the usual hello, how are you etc.

amconwa
02-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I have to join in....

My SIL wrote in her Christmas letter/card (form letter that went out to many) that she was more excited than DH and I about the then impending birth of our first child. I don't think she's very aware of herself, to be fair. :)

Now, I think Winnie the Pooh is a lovely little creature, and I would love to have his books and maybe some movies or something. However, I would never choose to dress my son in Winnie clothes (please, no offense to those who love Winnie and choose those clothes for their kids; we just choose other things), and my SIL continues to give us Winnie clothes. Of course, I've never actually said I don't like them, but I have gently teased her about her love for Winnie ("can you guess who likes Winnie everyone?) I think she's maybe buying the clothes really for herself, in some sort of "I don't have kids yet so I'll buy what I would buy for my child." You may think this is sad and somewhat sweet, which it is, but there's also this "pity me" vibe to it, which has characterized most of my interactions with her since marrying her brother.

Oh, lord, stop me now. Sorry. :)

She did once say that she knew I didn't really care for Pooh (I never told her that; I'm not sure how she learned that. I was nothing but nice when she gave us those things. I swear.), but that she didn't care, she was going to buy those things anyway.