PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff - stork bites on the neck - do they fade?

Melanie
02-05-2008, 03:06 AM
Dd's stork bite on her neck still looks the same. She's almost 2 1/2. I have no concerns about it, but I'm curious if anyone has seen them fade or if it's permanent? It's not changed at all and the ped isn't worried about it being a hemangioma (sp?).

She also had a mark around her ankle which looked like maybe the cord had been wrapped around it! That is almost unnoticeable now.

bubbaray
02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Both my DDs had stork bites at the nape of their neck/right at the hairline. They have faded, plus DD#1's hair covers it anyway. DD#1s used to get more noticeable when she cried.

gatorsmom
02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
2 of my babies had stork bites at the base of their head/on their neck and I"ve been told several times that they will not fade or go away. But the hair covers them now anyway so you can't even see them.

ha98ed14
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
My baby was born with one in the middle of her forehead between her eyes, one at the back of her neck, and even a tiny one over her left eye. The neck one went away, but the other 2 are still there. They are barely noticable unless DD cries. My ped said that they are capillaries (tiny blood vessels) close to the skin so when the skin gets hot, they dialate and that is why you see them. My Ped said they should go away by 2 or 3 y.o.

I hope they do for her sake, but I am not *that* worried about it because every newborn caucasian baby I have seen in the past year (when I started paying attention) has the same one between the eyes, and none of the adult or teen caucasian people I know today has one. So I think they must go away.

Melanie
02-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I wonder what it is that makes the back of the next such a common place for this, and why they would be less likely to fade there than elsewhere?

bunnisa
02-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I still have one on the back of my neck, but I didn't even know it was still there until DH noticed it a few months ago!

All of my DC have them too.

hez
02-05-2008, 06:43 PM
The one at the nape of DS's neck is still there. The light v-shaped one he had on his forehead is gone-- disappeared fairly early.

DH still has one at the nape of his neck in his mid thirties.

chiqanita
02-05-2008, 07:07 PM
DS's stork bites are almost gone. He had a bright one on his eye lid and one on back of neck. The one on his neck is still visible and the one on his eye lid only shows up when he's angry/crying or hot.

elephantmeg
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
DH still has his so I guess not!

s7714
02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
I just looked for the one on my older DD's neck yesterday and couldn't find it. So either it's really faded a lot or I just can't see it! The one on the back of her neck was darker than the one on her forehead at birth.

rlu
02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow, I forgot DS had one there (base of head in back) too. I'll have to check when he gets up but his hair covers it I think.