PDA

View Full Version : Very Heavy Baby - Which Carrier to Buy?

gmommy
02-05-2008, 07:18 AM
I need a carrier for baby #2, who is arriving shortly and estimated to be bigger at birth than my first one was.

DS was 18 lbs at 7 weeks, and out of his Graco car seat 22 lb limit before 3 months!

I tried the Bjorn active with DS and I couldn't last more than 15 minutes.

I need a carrier for the new baby - one that will accomodate a heavy baby without aggravating my back. Which type is best? Preferably, I'd like one that will allow for nursing, but I'll take whatever fits my huge newborns and won't kill my back.

Thanks for the advice!

ha98ed14
02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Get the ERGO baby carrrier. It is by far the best. It actually has a hip strap (like a hiking/ camping back pack) so you bear the weight on your hips, not your back. They have a special infant insert which you can use for younger babies, but your are so big that you probably won't need it for very long. They are pricey ($100) but you can use them until DC is 2+. One friend carris her almost 3 yo in it, but she is petite, but still! I paid more for my infant car seat and got less use out of it. DD was in it til 7 months.

mamababa
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree that the ERGO is a great option. We love ours and my DD is over 30 lbs!

I also like Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece pouches, that is what I started using when the Bjorn became uncomfortable for me. They are easy to use and you don't have to fuss with straps or buckles, and you can do a great hip carry.

gusmom
02-15-2008, 08:19 PM
my son was 10.5 pounds at birth. he's now 11 months & slmost 24 pounds.

i used the Kangaroo Korner Ajustable Fleece Pouch (the fleece was much more comfortable for us than the cotton pouches we tried & Hotsling i rarely used & now trying to sell). KKAFP is still a great option when he's really clingy & just wants to be held. He does get a little heavy in it now but i'd still recommend it for the early days especially.

I also have an ERGO. I can still front-carry him in it if i have to. Until he was 10 mos, i regularly wore him in it when we went out shopping, etc. Everyone used to stop to say how heavy he must be but compared to carrying him without a carrier, he was SO light! LOL! I don't love the hip carry in the ERGO but i'm plus & short so i think my proportions are just screwed up for it. We haven't done a lot of back carries because it's hard for me to get him into position but i'm sure it would be even better than the front carry.

So i'd recommend both of these from firsthand experience. Good luck & congratulations!