PDA

View Full Version : United to start charging $25 for second checked bag- what about car seats?

postmodernmommy
02-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I just read that United will be charging its customers $25 for the second checked bag and $100 for every one thereafter. I have to wonder if this will apply to car seats as well. Not everyone wants to bring a Marathon on the plane for their 4 or 5 year old to sit in (not to mention how would they fit!?), however it's required by law to have them in a proper car seat at the destination. Talk about a family UNFRIENDLY policy (families tend to travel with more stuff anyway!). I know you can still gate check them but would that now count as another checked bag? Crazy policy. Any other thoughts on this?

Amy

egoldber
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Carseats checked as luggage have always counted as part of your checked baggage allowance.

Carseats checked at the gate do not count as part of your checked baggage allowance.

Like all businesses, airlines are having a difficult time in the current economy. Its still cheaper to check your carseat than to rent a carseat at your destination.

SnuggleBuggles
02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Talk about a family UNFRIENDLY policy (families tend to travel with more stuff anyway!).

That was my 1st thought too.

Beth

pb&j
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM
If the child has his/her own ticket, then he/she may have a checked bag as well. Plus, carseats don't count toward the baggage allowance:
(from http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52519,00.html )

12. If I am traveling with my baby on my lap (so I only have one ticket), and I check one bag and my child’s car seat on my ticket, do I have to pay a second bag fee?
No. When traveling with a child, checking car seats and strollers will continue to be free.

But I think it's asisine that they're charging for a second checked bag, given the tighter restrictions on carry ons these days.

postmodernmommy
02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Glad to see United is not charging (yet!) for car seats.

Amy :)

801kelle
02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I just read that United will be charging its customers $25 for the second checked bag and $100 for every one thereafter. I have to wonder if this will apply to car seats as well. Not everyone wants to bring a Marathon on the plane for their 4 or 5 year old to sit in (not to mention how would they fit!?), however it's required by law to have them in a proper car seat at the destination. Talk about a family UNFRIENDLY policy (families tend to travel with more stuff anyway!). I know you can still gate check them but would that now count as another checked bag? Crazy policy. Any other thoughts on this?

Amy

When you check a carseat it is considered a piece of luggage. We travel with our Marathon all the time and it fits in the airplane seat just fine. I would suggest calling United and asking if you check the carseat at the gate how does that apply?

KrisM
02-06-2008, 10:07 AM
When you check a carseat it is considered a piece of luggage. We travel with our Marathon all the time and it fits in the airplane seat just fine. I would suggest calling United and asking if you check the carseat at the gate how does that apply?

They don't count as luggage, according to United. Read the link Ry posted.

egoldber
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
The odd thing about that is it says the car seats will "continue" to be free and not counted as checked luggage. I have flown MANY MANY times on United and checked carseats have counted as part of our baggage allowance. We once had to argue with a ticket agent because we had 5 checked items, one of which was a carseat, and she said we had too many bags. It took us explaining to her about 20 times that Sarah has her own TICKET and so she was allowed a baggage allowance before she would let us do it.

I also find that quote odd.

If I am traveling with my baby on my lap (so I only have one ticket), and I check one bag and my child’s car seat on my ticket, do I have to pay a second bag fee?No. When traveling with a child, checking car seats and strollers will continue to be free.

To me that reads that only lap children are allowed to have a carseat checked free. That children who have a ticket and have a bag and a carseat would not get a bag checked free. So basically it sounds like they are allowing an extra bag for a kid who is on your lap and therefore does not technically get a baggage allowance. At least that is how I would interpret that rule.

pb&j
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
The odd thing about that is it says the car seats will "continue" to be free and not counted as checked luggage. I have flown MANY MANY times on United and checked carseats have counted as part of our baggage allowance. We once had to argue with a ticket agent because we had 5 checked items, one of which was a carseat, and she said we had too many bags. It took us explaining to her about 20 times that Sarah has her own TICKET and so she was allowed a baggage allowance before she would let us do it.

I also find that quote odd.

To me that reads that only lap children are allowed to have a carseat checked free. That children who have a ticket and have a bag and a carseat would not get a bag checked free. So basically it sounds like they are allowing an extra bag for a kid who is on your lap and therefore does not technically get a baggage allowance. At least that is how I would interpret that rule.

DH used to be a CSR for UA and says carseats should NEVER count as baggage. Ask for a supervisor if the CSR says otherwise.

egoldber
02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Interesting. That is definitely not a widely understood UA policy then. Good to know though. DH is a million mile flyer on United, so we have permanent Premier Exec and some years he makes 1K, so we get extra bags, but its a PITA for me when I fly without him.

Although I always try to consolidate all of mine and the girls clothes into one suitcase. Its just too hard for me to manage all those bags, especially when I fly without him.

new_mommy25
02-08-2008, 07:02 AM
DH used to be a CSR for UA and says carseats should NEVER count as baggage. Ask for a supervisor if the CSR says otherwise.
I flew UA a few times when DS was a baby and they refused to let me check the car seat because I had already checked 2 suitcases. I had to lug it to the gate and gate check. I haven't flown them in about 3 years so maybe things have changed?

Interestingly, when I flew Delta last November, they let me check the car seat on the way up. On the way home they made me gate check it. I guess it depends on who you are dealing with. I have noticed that sky cabs are usually much more lenient than going up to the counter.

buddyleebaby
02-08-2008, 10:41 AM
When DH and I traveled to South America with the girls, we were allowed to check two carseats and a portacrib, none of which counted towards our checked bag allowance.