PDA

View Full Version : If you could buy any one piece of exercise equipment , what would it be?

Pennylane
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
And why? I have got to start exercising again and am really looking to tone the lower regions.

I already have a treadmill and I get so bored on it.

Thanks,

Ann

JMS
02-05-2008, 03:11 PM
A cross trainer elliptical. Something that is basically an elliptical but with the ability to increase the incline (in addition to increasing the intensity/resistance) and with moving arms (ideally with heart rate monitoring ability).

There are a couple different models of what I'm referring to at my gym. Some I really like and some I don't. I think exercise equipment is very personal. Make sure you really try various models out and decide if the movement feels natural. KWIM? I'm having a hard time articulating today. I also think you get what you pay for. My experience with cheap gym equipment is that it feels cheap and doesn't last. GL!

Oh.. one more thing to consider. I live outside Philly and there are a few local resellers in my area who basically buy (or take on trade) old health club equipment, refurbish it, and then resell it, often with a warranty. This might be a route worth looking into.

khm
02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
I have a NordicTrack that I love, but it is also pretty high on the boredom factor. I "allow" myself to watch junk TV while using it. I tape stuff that I normally wouldn't watch. :) I'm also a HUGE audiobook fan. I burn through books on MP3 like crazy.

Maybe check into the Firm DVDs. They use dumbbells and steps. Not sure if that's what you are looking for, though.

Davids-Coco
02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
A really expensive stroller... ok, not really... well, maybe a little.

An elliptical is a really great piece.

MontrealMum
02-05-2008, 04:02 PM
I have a trainer for my bike which allows me to ride during the off season, and w/o worrying about DS. It's extremely boring, but I try to schedule my sessions during Oprah or something mildly attention-holding and I'm able to tough it out. In addition to the trainer you need a TV that takes headphones, the bike makes too much noise to hear the TV otherwise.

And I second the suggestion of a really expensive stroller :) - meaning, a really nice one that you won't just leave in your basement because it doesn't do what you want it too, or is too heavy/cumbersome to use regularly.

jenmcadams
02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I like Elliptical trainers at the gym for cardio equipment although I prefer hitting a spin class to any piece of cardio equipment. I also have a fluid trainer for my road bike that I sometimes use in the winter. If you have a good bike and/or like spinning class, this would be an inexpensive purchase. You can also get Spinervals DVDs to watch/ride along with using your own bike/trainer.

writermama
02-05-2008, 04:35 PM
to go with the treadmill. ;) Or a flat-panel TV and a DVD player.

I'm a treadmill fan when I use anything because bikes, recumbant bikes, and stair machines do a number on my knees and hips (I'm weird, YMMV). I've always felt silly on elliptical machines, like they don't fit me and I'm a little kid trying to pedal a big kid bike. I've used and liked a Nordic Track (hip issues again with lots of use, though).

Momof3Labs
02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Honestly, I'd put the money towards a gym membership, preferably one with good childcare. I find it so much easier to go to the gym than to try to get on our treadmill at home - boredom factor!!

hellokitty
02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
One of those nautilus type of wt machines. I need to do more wts, but hate doing free wts on my own. I already have a treadmill and bike (that I don't use, lol). Right now I'm taking stroller fitness class and love it. We do cardio, abs and free wts.

babystuffbuff
02-05-2008, 05:36 PM
A cross trainer elliptical. Something that is basically an elliptical but with the ability to increase the incline (in addition to increasing the intensity/resistance) and with moving arms (ideally with heart rate monitoring ability).

I have one and I love it. The programs it has are great - the interval one especially. I order movies and TV shows that I really want to see through Netflix, and then I only allow myself to watch them while I'm working out. Gives me extra motivation to get moving in the morning. :)

I also have a stability ball and adjustable free weights. The gyms here are all super expensive, and I prefer working out at home, but YMMV.

maestramommy
02-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Dh keeps saying that if we ever get a piece of equipment it'll be a rower. The reasons are:

1) There's only one club grade rower out there, and it's only $300.

2) Rowing is a complete aerobic and toning workout

3) Not as noisy as running on a treadmill.

4) Rower is pretty low maintanence.

luvmypeanut
02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
I would love a gyrotonic expansion system. My old pilates instructor had one and it was great for stretching, strength training and aerobic activity. DH said it looked like a medieval torture instrument but was hooked when I got him on it.

http://www.gyrotonic.com/

wellyes
02-05-2008, 07:08 PM
My choice is treadmill, easily. I'm way too lazy to actually use an elliptical as often. With a treadmill, you can "zone out" while getting your exercise. If you want a workout, you can get easily get on one (especially if your treadmill has an incline). But if you'd just as soon sit on your butt, you can still use the treadmill on a lower setting & get something good for you out of it. Just put a TV right in front of the machines, put on a hour-long show, and you have plenty of time for a 10 min warm up, 40 minutes of heart-healthy brisk walking, and a 10 min cool down.

bluestar2
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I would love to have a treadmill and park it in front of a TV.

lizajane
02-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Dh keeps saying that if we ever get a piece of equipment it'll be a rower. The reasons are:

1) There's only one club grade rower out there, and it's only $300.

2) Rowing is a complete aerobic and toning workout

3) Not as noisy as running on a treadmill.

4) Rower is pretty low maintanence.

keep in mind that there is a specific way to use the rowing machine that many do not know. so if you do get one, and you are not a former crew member, have someone teach you how to use it so you can 1) get the most efficient workout possible and 2) avoid injury. (i was on the crew at UNC in college.)

lizajane
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
what about spicing up your workouts on the treadmill? i would LOVE to have a treadmill!! i love using it at the gym. you can start out walking, add some jogging, do a few sprints, jog in between, walk after you finish your sprints and then walk to cool down.

to be more specific, here is what i like to do:
walk 2 min at easy warm up
walk 2 min quickly
jog 2-10 min easy pace
increase speed by 0.2 every 2 minutes until i reach my max speed (very challenging, but can get through 2 minutes AND maintain my "ladder" all the way down.)
decrease speed by 0.2 every 2 minutes until you reach the starting point

if that is too easy, try 5 minute intervals.

OR try the warm up and then sprint for 2 minutes (or 5) at your max speed, then go back to your "normal" joggin pace. do this sprint/jog every 2 or 5 minutes for however long you workout.

OR
warm up
go up 0.5 in speed every 2 minutes, but then back down to a jog for 2 minutes, then back up 0.5 higher that your first increase (for example, start at 5.0, then go to 5.5, then 5.0, then 6.0, then 5.0, then 6.5, then 5.0)

i find that making up a workout with 2 or 5 minute intervals really keeps me going and mentally makes my workout go by really fast.

Pennylane
02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas. I was thinking about an elliptical machine, but am also loving the idea of the rower too. I had a gym membership until recently but the hours of the day care just did not work for me.

Ann

JMS
02-05-2008, 11:21 PM
what about spicing up your workouts on the treadmill? i would LOVE to have a treadmill!! i love using it at the gym. you can start out walking, add some jogging, do a few sprints, jog in between, walk after you finish your sprints and then walk to cool down.

This is what I basically do, but with a different agenda then Liza. I just wanted to point out that not only does using the treadmill in this way help break up the boredom, but many experts (or so say all my exercise/fitness mags) also claim that this is really a great way to speed up your metabolism. The basic idea is to push your heart rate to the (healthy) max for a period of time, then take it down to a lower recovery rate for a minute or two and then back up .. and on and on. I really believe working out like this helped me through my last plateau. And like Liza said, you can push yourself through anything for 2 minutes knowing that there is relief afterwards (I think she said something like that :) ).

happy2bamom
02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I haven't read the other responses, so sorry if this is redundant. I love our elliptical, I really feel like I get a total body workout.

Buying tip: we bought ours on craigslist for next to nothing. Very often people buy new equipment with the best of intentions, but never get around to using it. I see lots of exercise equipment listed on craigslist that says "barely used".

Pennylane
02-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I haven't read the other responses, so sorry if this is redundant. I love our elliptical, I really feel like I get a total body workout.

Buying tip: we bought ours on craigslist for next to nothing. Very often people buy new equipment with the best of intentions, but never get around to using it. I see lots of exercise equipment listed on craigslist that says "barely used".

I just looked on craigslist and they have a ton of them listed! That is a great idea.

I also really like what Liza said about alternating speeds and time on the treadmill. I usually just walk and get so bored!

Ann