PDA

View Full Version : I should be reading my book...

LarsMal
02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
but it's SOOOO boring!

I have a book club meeting on Thursday night, and we're reading the same book on the BBB book club. I don't know why, but I really can't stand "Eat, Pray, Love". I am finding it so incredibly boring. Every night I try to read some and just grunt and groan my way through. DH keeps asking me how it's a best seller if it so bad. Maybe it's just not my style!

I had decided that I would spend some ME time while the kids nap reading instead of surfing the web, hanging out on the BBB or watching TV. Nope! Here I am!

I need to go find me some James Patterson or Nicholas Sparks. I need a page turner!

elektra
02-05-2008, 04:10 PM
That's exactly how I felt about Under the Tuscan Sun. That was soooooo boring. No clue why everyone loved it so much. And I was so mad that I actually bought it, and then realized it was already on my bookshelf! My husband had received it as a gift from a work contact.
I prefer fiction too. I am actually not loving Oprah's latest Pillars of the Earth either though. And I have Eat,Pray,Love on deck. I bet I'll hate it! LOL. After seeing the author on Oprah, I thought she seemed kind of spoiled and melodramatic. I mean she was like, "yes I had this perfect life, but I was still so unhappy so I had to travel the world and find myself and write this book about it".
Why did I buy this book again?..:ROTFLMAO:

LarsMal
02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
That's exactly how I felt about Under the Tuscan Sun. That was soooooo boring. No clue why everyone loved it so much. And I was so mad that I actually bought it, and then realized it was already on my bookshelf! My husband had received it as a gift from a work contact.
I prefer fiction too. I am actually not loving Oprah's latest Pillars of the Earth either though. And I have Eat,Pray,Love on deck. I bet I'll hate it! LOL. After seeing the author on Oprah, I thought she seemed kind of spoiled and melodramatic. I mean she was like, "yes I had this perfect life, but I was still so unhappy so I had to travel the world and find myself and write this book about it".

I couldn't get through Under the Tuscan Sun either! I don't even know where I put it! I think I read about 20 pages of that.

DH bought me the book for Christmas and everytime I complain about it he says, "Well, I'm glad you like my Christmas gift!" just to be funny!

lizajane
02-05-2008, 08:32 PM

i loved Under the Tuscan SUn so much, i went out and bought A Year in Provence!!! and on the other hand, I hated Nicolas Sparks so much, i gave the book away! taste is so interesting...

tamie
02-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I just finished EAt Pray Love and while I loved the concept of, I found myself skipping some parts of it as it was hard to get through. I completely understand where you are coming from.

s7714
02-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Oh great. And here I'm battling through the last of "Mary, Called Magdalene" for my IRL book club so I can get on to reading "Eat, Love, Pray" for the BBB one! Give me something to look forward to, will ya! :p

SheriRae
02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I really enjoyed the first third of the book....her time in Italy, but after that, UGH!! I found myself skipping through pages in India thinking Indonesia
would be MUCH better, but NO!

Needless to say, I never finished the book and I hate not finishing a book!

LarsMal
02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I really enjoyed the first third of the book....her time in Italy, but after that, UGH!! I found myself skipping through pages in India thinking Indonesia
would be MUCH better, but NO!

Needless to say, I never finished the book and I hate not finishing a book!

Oh, don't tell me that! I didn't mind Italy too much, but India is bleh, and I was hoping Indonesia would be better. Maybe I'll just put it back on the shelf!

elektra
02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Great! Wonder if I can dig up that Barnes and Noble receipt!
FYI- As I mentioned, I didn't like Under the Tuscan Sun, and it sounds like I won't like Eat, Pray, Love either. Here are some non-fiction books that I did enjoy though, in case anyone is looking for something non-fiction that reads more like fiction:
David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs books
West with the Night by Beryl Markham (an autobiography about a female pilot in Africa. The writing is just great.)

lizajane
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Great! Wonder if I can dig up that Barnes and Noble receipt!
FYI- As I mentioned, I didn't like Under the Tuscan Sun, and it sounds like I won't like Eat, Pray, Love either. Here are some non-fiction books that I did enjoy though, in case anyone is looking for something non-fiction that reads more like fiction:
David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs books
West with the Night by Beryl Markham (an autobiography about a female pilot in Africa. The writing is just great.)

david sedaris' brother was in my birthing class. how funny is that? the effing rooster was in MY birthing class!!!

(of course, i didn't like sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day at ALL.)

elektra
02-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Isn't he the one who taught his big dog to eat the little one's poop so he didn't have to clean it up? Classic!