PDA

View Full Version : CS for nanny?

nrp
02-05-2008, 10:36 PM
I know that tons of people have posted about this, but after searching I couldn't find exactly the answer I was looking for. So here goes... DD is 14 months and I need a car seat for the nanny's car (a Trailblazer, not sure what year, but I don't think it has latch). DD is rear-facing in a BV in our car. Nanny will be taking her, at most, a couple times a week to the park which is less than a mile away. In the fall she will take her to preschool, but that is also only a half-mile from our house.

I am considering the Scenera, Evenflo Triumph Advance, and the Safety 1st Uptown. Price isn't a huge issue, so I would also consider a Marathon, but DH would probably give me some dirty looks for a seat that's not going to get very much use. Mainly, I'm just looking for something that will be super-easy for the nanny to install, since I think that she will have to take it in and out periodically. I've already told her that we are going to see a carseat tech to show her how to do it.

I bought a Scenera for my parents, who we visit just a couple of times a year, and I actually had some difficulty installing it in their car (a Lexus SUV), but maybe it was just a quirk with that vehicle. I seemed to be leaning to the Triumph Advance based on some other reviews I've read, but I would love some advice on how easy it is to install. Ditto for the Safety 1st Uptown.

Thanks!

niccig
02-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Safety First Uptown - it's what we use for the sitter and for travel. Nice padding, light and it has side impact foam over all the seat. Plus, I heard that many Walmart stores have them on sale for about $50 - not online sale, only in store.

I can get it in any car with latch or seat belt, but there's a trick for installing scenera and Uptown in my opinion. I've posted about it before, I'll find the post and add it in.

I taught our babysitter how to install the Uptown, showed her my tricks, and she can get it in very tight.

Cars I've had it in.

Prius,
Subaru Tribeca
Renedevous
Rav4
Trailblazer
Corolla
Jetta
Civic
A few more, but I can't remember.

ETA Here is a link about the Uptown install and I described my tricks. I got them from watching installation videos. The convertible seat with seatbelt and latch is a Cosco Touriva, earlier model of the Scenera. Pay particular attention to how they are pulling the Latch or seat belt to tighten. You need to pulling along the belt path horizontally and not beside the seat vertically. I hope this makes sense.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130103&highlight=uptown+install

Here's the installation videos that I learned my tricks from http://www.carseatsite.com/videos.htm