PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to learn to speak spanish?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-06-2008, 03:47 AM
I need to learn this language. It's more out of respect than anything else. My fil is from columbia and dh and sil are both fluent. Add to that that we live in a predominantly hispanic neighborhood and both dc will be going to the neighborhood catholic school and I really need to learn how to speak this language properly.
DD has made friends with a few of the neighborhood children and I can't really communicate with their mothers that well and I think dh and fil would really appreciate the effort at least. And I want my dc to be connected with their heritage. I've asked dh to teach me in the past and it just doesn't work. Fil is very patient and I think I could learn from him but he's not the lesson type. So I'm wondering if there's a program I can listen to in the car or something that's pretty good. Are the berlitz tapes any good. Will I actually learn from them or am I wasting my time? The other roadblock is that I'm toungetied so I can't roll my r's. Dh says that's ok and I'll just have a porto rican accent since they don't roll their r's either.. I don't know, never been there but I'll take his word for it. Any suggestions?

mom2chloe
02-06-2008, 01:24 PM
The easiet way to do it PRACTICE! If DH is fluent, why isn't he helping you? I am trying myself and the best way I"ve found is PRACTICE w/ fluent speakers. No class or book wil help as much, but I did go by my local community college and get the books for Spanish I...helps w/ vocabulary...and Rosetta Stone offers an online course a girlfriend is taking that she says she loves... but I haven't heard her speak yet...

buddyleebaby
02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I need to learn this language. It's more out of respect than anything else. My fil is from columbia and dh and sil are both fluent. Add to that that we live in a predominantly hispanic neighborhood and both dc will be going to the neighborhood catholic school and I really need to learn how to speak this language properly.
DD has made friends with a few of the neighborhood children and I can't really communicate with their mothers that well and I think dh and fil would really appreciate the effort at least. And I want my dc to be connected with their heritage. I've asked dh to teach me in the past and it just doesn't work. Fil is very patient and I think I could learn from him but he's not the lesson type. So I'm wondering if there's a program I can listen to in the car or something that's pretty good. Are the berlitz tapes any good. Will I actually learn from them or am I wasting my time? The other roadblock is that I'm toungetied so I can't roll my r's. Dh says that's ok and I'll just have a porto rican accent since they don't roll their r's either.. I don't know, never been there but I'll take his word for it. Any suggestions?

Ask your DH to speak Spanish all the time. When you are forced to speak/understand a language, you pick it up quickly.
I want to commend you on your desire to learn.

P.S. Because you said you are doing it out of respect to your FIL, I wanted to point out that Colombia is spelled with two "o"s.

niccig
02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I agree with using it as much as possible. I learned Japanese for years at school, but it wasn't until I lived there as an exchange student, that I really learned the language.

DS and I watched Signing Times when he was younger, and we used a few but not too much. Because of my voice problems, I sat down and watched several episodes, looked at books and online. Now both DS and I are using it, because it was out of necessity.

tiapam
02-06-2008, 11:09 PM
For an adult learner, I think a formal class would be the best way to start. If you really want to be fluent enough for your circumstances, a good foundation is best. After you finish a semester, you can decide if you want to continue or use other methods. For pronunciation, listen to music in Spanish and sing along.

Buena suerte!

stefani
02-07-2008, 01:39 AM
I am learning Mandarin Chinese, and one thing that I found to have worked very well for me is listening to Pimsleur CDs. I got them from the library. I listen to them in the car, DS probably thinks that China is the inside of my car :-)

If there is any classes offered through your local community colleges or city's recreation department (and you can afford the time and money) that will be good as well.

Then of course, practice and practice. Replace some of the English short sentences you use with your DH and DCs with Spanish words/ sentences. You have an excellent environment that supports your learning.

Good luck!

KBecks
02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I am tongue tied too and I didn't know that's why I can't roll my R's. I think you can fake it a little though.

Use whatever tools you can get your hands on easily but yes, just try to speak, and be bold about making mistakes, that's how you learn. I think a lot of people learning end up being able to understand but are too timid to speak the language. I became so shy taking a French class I was so worried about messing up, but you are supposed to make mistakes..... drop all perfectionism and go for it. One of my best friends knows Spanish but was insecure about it and spent a year working in Ecuador but she said she was not herself (normally very outgoing and confident) for the whole time because she was intimidated by not knowing the language as well as a native speaker. Please don't let that happen to you. I'd assume people will be patient and helpful with you and be pleased for your that you are learning something new.

Good luck! and HAVE FUN!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
02-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Have your DH/FIL/SIL only speak to you in Spanish. If you do not understand they can translate what they are saying into english for you. The school I work at has immersion classes for the kids, either 1/2 day or a few hours. The kids pick it up in weeks, and it is improving my language skills as well.

cuca_
02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I agree with Pam's suggestion, take a class. This way you will get the strongest foundations. Also, practice a lot. Do workbooks, read short stories, and ask people to use Spanish in their conversations with you. My DH, who did all this and became fluent in Spanish, also listened to some tapes. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the program, but I'll find out.

Oh, and by the way, while some Puerto Ricans don't roll their Rs, I would say that's a pretty broad generalization. I was born and raised there and I certainly roll my Rs, as do most of the people I know! :)

dawell0
02-08-2008, 08:51 AM
I was wondering how we could start to learn Spanish too, and it helped a lot with the suggestions.