PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust rapid strep tests? (long)

ShanaMama
02-06-2008, 12:55 PM
The ped in my hometown never trusted their accuracy & I give his opinion a lot of weight. He always used the overnight ones that actually test the culture.
DD has strep (diagnosed with an overnight test by her ped). We found out Monday morning, so I kept her home Monday. Monday afternoon my throat felt scratchy, but I couldn't get an appt at my internist that day. So I went to another internist in my neighborhood & I didn't even see a doctor. The receptionist did the throat culture!! It was a rapid & was negative.
Tuesday everyone was fine, DD is on antibiotics & back to school. Tuesday night I started feeling sick & went to bed about 9:30. I was up half the night & this morning had a terrible headache & sore throat. So I went to my internist this morning & he did another rapid strep test (2 days after the first). Again, negative. I shared with him my wariness of the rapid tests & we both agreed that untreated strep is more of a risk than antibiotics are for me. He said that my symptoms don't suggest strep- if they did he'd be more likely to treat me despite the negative test. He gave me a prescription to fill in a few days if I get worse.
So I am happy with the way he handled the situation but am left with a question: Are those rapid test reliable? I know many doctors use them exclusively, but based on a few very experienced doctors, I feel that the rapid just can't be as accurate as the overnight. What do you think?

pb&j
02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
My GP (who I adore) trusts a positive but not a negative. That is, if the rapid test comes up positive, she'll prescribe abx right away. If it comes up negative, she'll order the culture. She will not give me a prescription till I turn up positive on one test or the other.

kimbe
02-06-2008, 02:51 PM
When my ped does a swab on the kiddos she does it with two swabs at the same time (so that she only has to gag them once.) She does a rapid with one AND a culture with the other. She also trusts a positive and not a negative. She has mentioned that the rapid only picks up about 95% of positives. If it is neg. on the rapid, the do the culture and call us with the results. HTH

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Ditto the pps.

Beth

caleymama
02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
When my ped does a swab on the kiddos she does it with two swabs at the same time (so that she only has to gag them once.) She does a rapid with one AND a culture with the other. She also trusts a positive and not a negative. She has mentioned that the rapid only picks up about 95% of positives. If it is neg. on the rapid, the do the culture and call us with the results. HTH

:yeahthat:

emilys_mom
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Ditto- our ped always sends the negatives off for a full culture, but starts treating a positive.

ShanaMama
02-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Well I'm glad to hear all your responses because I decided to self-treat & have been a bit unsure. Why did two adult docs trust a negative on the rapid when I *know* I have strep?!
Today my throat is so swollen & painful I can hardly talk. I haven't eaten anything in two and a half days & am definitely dehydrated because it hurts to drink. I sent DH to the pharmacy today to fill my rx... hope it starts working soon!

Marisa6826
02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
My Ped does the rapid, but then sends the negative to be cultured ,where we get the final results about 72hrs later.

-m