PDA

View Full Version : Where does your DC Sleep When you Travel?

Bean606
02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I am really tired of lugging the pack n play with us everywhere, and DS doesn't sleep well in it anymore anyway. At home DS, is still in a crib. At day care, he sleeps in a cot on the floor during naptime. I am trying to decide what to get for him for when we travel to friends/relatives homes. He isn't ready to sleep in an elevated bed. Should I just get him a sleeping bag, or is there something else I could use? TIA!

ETA - I just saw the prior post on this issue, but DS is older - 19 months, if that matters.

Davids-Coco
02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
If he's sleeping well on a cot, can you replicate that situation? It seems as though that may work. The other thing we have done with our DS is get a king sized bed and have him sleep between us. Not exactly ideal, but it works.

emilys_mom
02-06-2008, 07:23 PM
We bought DD a ready bed (Dora aerobed type thing) at toys r us and she loves it at 2.5, but we got it when she was 18 mos. and she rolled out of it. For this reason, I'd probably suggest the sleeping bag or letting her sleep with you as PP suggested.

SnuggleBuggles
02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Our families each bought a cheap PnP to keep at their houese, which was very helpful. Hotels we usually get a king sized bed and co-sleep (something we don't do at home).

Beth

Clarity
02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I've been thinking the same thing after my last post about traveling to MIL's with dd. She's about to outgrow her pnp. I was thinking of going with the toddler aero-bed, but I have read some issues about it losing air. Others seem very happy with it.
Before I replied to you, I googled "toddler air bed" and found some interesting ideas at the link below:
http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2006/06/toddler_travel_.html

Bean606
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for that link! I was actually looking at that box-like bed from One Step Ahead, but the mattress doesn't look that comfortable. The inflatable beds look more comfy, but I was a little concerned - if it loses air, is it a suffocation hazard?

emilys_mom
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
FYI- the ready bed at this link (option #1) is the one DD has, and even with the sleeping bag and bumpers she still rolled out of it several times.

Clarity
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
You know, several months ago when I was trying to think of travel options for dd, I came across the air-bed option and I do remember some discussion about them losing air. However, I just checked amazon and the aero-toddler bed got pretty good reviews and I didn't notice anything about it losing air. Perhaps it was the brand - I did see someone rate the Gentle Air bed saying it didn't hold air, so perhaps that's what I recall. I'm going to do more searching for reviews just in case, but that might be an option for us for travel this summer.
There is also the peapod http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?p=4,5 to consider.

I'd be interested to know what you decide on!

maurenemm
02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I was going to post a similar thread. We're taking my DS who'll be 2.5 at the time - on vacation this summer and I don't know what to do about the sleeping arrangements.

-With the inflatable beds - I hear they leak air and some complain that they are noisey (when the child moves in bed).
-I think the peapod (the larger size) - looks neat but its more expensive and some kids don't like being confined in the space.
-Where we're staying, getting a roll-away bed is probably an option. And, I've seen where you can buy inflatable bed rails.
-The Regalo Cot looks interesting - and I think my DS might take to it since he sleeps in a somewhat similar one at daycare. But I bet he'd fall out more than once.

At hotels - are the cribs you can get usually full sized? Last time I saw one in the hallway, they didn't appear to be full-sized.

Gena
02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I was going to post a similar thread. We're taking my DS who'll be 2.5 at the time - on vacation this summer and I don't know what to do about the sleeping arrangements.

By the age of 2, we would just get a room with two queen beds. We would put DS in a bed by himself and pile extra pillows around him to keep him from rolling out. He was sleeping in a big bed by himself in hotels long before he slept in a big boy bed at home.

Radosti
02-14-2008, 12:17 PM
We bought the toddler Aerobed last june when DS was 18 months old and it was the best decision ever. It never loses air, we fill it when we get there and it stays full the whole time there. We've taken it on 3 vacations so far and it's gone to my parents' house for overnight stays many times. It's just the best thing since sliced bread and I highly recommend it. DS loves it and when we were in Disney last month, he actually pitched a fit in the car on the way to the airport because he thought we forgot his bed at the hotel. We had to stop, open the suitcase and show him the rolled up bed, then he calmed down.

Last june, we had a 2 bedroom condo at the shore and the bed fit perfectly between the two twin beds in one bedroom. So, it was just like it had sides. The only way out was through the one short side. And I put a pillow there in case he rolled out, but he never did. It's a bit expensive, but the quality is well worth it. I've even had to lie down on it with him and it has 150 weight limit and it still held up. No air loss even with me on it.

bunyvet
02-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Right now I still use the Phil&Teds travel bed (looks like a cross between a PNP and a fabric dog crate- LOL!) that DS really likes to sleep in. But he is getting bigger and will need another option soon (he is 12 months now).
I did order a PeaPod and I sent it back because I thought it very unsuitable for a young infant and seeming kinda dangerous and even the small size took up a lot of space (we got it for camping and agility trials). However, for a toddler I think it would be great for hotels. Not all kids will like it, but many will if you make a big deal about how fun the "fort" or "tent" is that they get to sleep in and it will keep them from rolling out. I just would want them big enough to use the sleeping bag option and not be worried about the inflatable mattress (like kids under a year or so)
HTH,
Andrea

maurenemm
02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
I thought I'd follow and let you know I bought the toddler Aerobed. About a week ago, I saw it on Amazon for a good price. DS hasn't slept on it yet, but I did inflate it - and boy does that thing inflate fast. I think its going to work well for us.

Bean606
02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I just ordered the equivalent of the Travel n Trundle from kidsurplus.com. I'll report back once we have it. It is the one that looks like a little box.

MamaKath
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
In hotels, we get a room with 2 beds. At grandparents houses we purchased an air mattress and camp cots at the other house. My kids prefer the camp cots. You can purchase ones that are relatively inexpensive, lightweight, small folding and low to the ground.