PDA

View Full Version : Help with International Food Day

kransden
02-06-2008, 02:30 PM
DD's class would like to do an international food day. There are no allergies. The huge problem is that nothing can be homemade. It is also supposed to be healthy. So it could be expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Edited to add
The school district has <b>strict </b>guidelines on what can and can't be brought in the classroom. A lot of it has to do with hygiene. So store bought items with very little preparation are what I need. I am planning this for the entire class. Other parents will help, but I am the room mom. These are kindergarteners. I would like it to be a taste adventure. I love the pita and hummus idea and the soybeans. I have also thought of fruit like Jicama for for Mexican, or is that a vegetable? :) Things like frozen taquitos, while tasty, won't pass on the healthy part of the guideline. The only thing the district relents on is ice cream since it is a dairy product. I was also thinking kiwi for New Zealand.

What started this was they read "Yoko". It is about a kitten that brings sushi to school and is made fun of. The teacher has the animals have an international food day. Now dd's class wants a food day too.

kedss
02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I know that Whole Foods has a lot of international food stuff, I would try looking there or some place like that.

gatorruth
02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Trader Joes!! Yummy frozen Chinese, Mexican, and more...

ha98ed14
02-06-2008, 02:56 PM
If you want really cheap, go French and get a big pack of fresh croissants at Costco or Sam's. They are yummy and not expensive at all. You will prob have leftovers. And while they aren't super healthy, they aren't cookies either...

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Pita and hummus?

Beth

supercalifragilous
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
How about edamame/soy beans? Costco and Sam's both have precooked ones - you can just pop 'em in the microwave if you want them hot.

Yakisoba is also fairly easy & cheap to make - do you have a teriyaki place near you? Kids love noodles! Or some chow mein?

How about tamales or taquitos?

vludmilla
02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I think Costco sells some frozen taquitos that can't be super healthy but probably aren't junk food category either.

I like the pita and hummus idea...very easy, cheap, and healthy. Just cut up the whole grain pita into triangles or something and they can dip into the hummus.

trales
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I may be missing something here. Why won't they let you make homemade foods? If they are celebrating international foods and cultures, wouldn't they want kids to try stuff that other children eat in their homes and not just mass-market, americanized "foreign food". Homemade Mexican food can be very healthy, however Taco Bell is really unhealthy and not really mexican, but it seems that is what they are encouraging you to bring.

It also seems that the school is promoting stereotypes, ie Mexican eat frozen tacos, Asians eat salty noodles from a bag that cost 29cents etc. Sorry, for my rant and not very helpful post.

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I may be missing something here. Why won't they let you make homemade foods? If they are celebrating international foods and cultures, wouldn't they want kids to try stuff that other children eat in their homes and not just mass-market, americanized "foreign food". Homemade Mexican food can be very healthy, however Taco Bell is really unhealthy and not really mexican, but it seems that is what they are encouraging you to bring.

It also seems that the school is promoting stereotypes, ie Mexican eat frozen tacos, Asians eat salty noodles from a bag that cost 29cents etc. Sorry, for my rant and not very helpful post.

Just wanted to say that ds' school won't let us bring in homemade food b/c of possible allergens. I guess with prepackaged foods there is the official ingredient list that they can rely on?

Beth

DrSally
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
sounds like fun. I agree with the TJ's idea, you'll find lots of options. They have prepackages guacamole that I love. Some places sell stuffed grape leaves, but not sure if kids would like that.