PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Mamas - I need help!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I have seen a few threads on marathons and I am motivated to kick my butt in gear. I need to get more exercise and frankly the idea of having time to myself (even if it's while running) is exciting!

I am in decent shape, but not amazing. I have never been the best runner in the world but I also have never actually tried. I really want to do a half-marathon. There is a big one around here next January. That gives me 11 months to get ready for it. Does that sound like enough time? Also, how do you train? Honestly, I am clueless but I want to turn this half-baked idea into reality. Any help is greatly appreciated!

maestramommy
02-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I did a half marathon a couple years back. Basically all I did was run at least 3 times a week. Each week I increased my mileage by a little bit. I trained on a treadmill so I could keep track, but you could go on a track and keep track of laps.

Another thing I'm discovering (now!) is that I should have done some strength training in my legs at the same time. It would've prevented injury to my knees, something I'm dealing with now:32:There are lots of exercises you can do without a lot of equipment, like squats with or without a ball, or use of a large elastic band. And make sure you stretch before and after running.

jenmcadams
02-06-2008, 04:53 PM
That's more than enough time to train for a full marathon with no base, so for a 1/2 marathon with some aerobic base you should be more than fine :)

There are lots of books you can get from the library with training plans for different levels of runners. You could also check out the forums at the Runner's World website (although I've heard from some folks that the people who post their can be a little hard core).

Make sure you have a good pair shoes (and that you replace them every 250-300 miles) -- you should go to a store that focuses on running that does some sort of fit analysis to make sure you have the right type of shoes for your feet and your running style -- my favorite local store does a video gait analysis using a tread mill. This is super important.

Consider cross-training -- I'm more of a triathlon person these days than a runner, but I'm a big fan of cross training. Biking and swimming have let me keep racing so even when my knees can't take more running, I can still workout and still race.

Finally, listen to your body. Make sure you pay attention to injuries and aches/pains and don't let any injuries get away from you. Last year, I spent the whole summer only running during triathlons b/c I didn't rest my feet when I first noticed some foot pain (it was plantar fascitis) -- it took months and months to recover.

Most of all have fun -- I'm a life long runner with bad knees and if I could run every day pain free, I would be a happy camper. As it is, I have to settle for 2-3x per week to keep my knees cooperatiing

pb&j
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Yes, it's plenty of time! I ran my first marathon when DS was 11 mos old.

Before you can really train for a big race like a half marathon, you need to build up your fitness gradually. I did a program similar to this one: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
to get started, and once I had a good base, started focusing on training for the marathon.

Coolrunning.com and runnersworld.com have lots of programs for training for races - just search those sites and google around till you find one that fits your lifestyle.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting involved with a group or club of some sort. You'll have lots of support and motivation built in that way. Ask at your gym, or find your locally-owned running gear shop, they should be able to steer you in the right direction. It sounds intimidating, but there are always lots of beginners and slow folks! Really, I am no speed demon, and have found lots of people to run with at my slow pace.

Also, I think it's important to do cross training activities as well. My club coach wrote a program for me that subbed in cross training (swimming, weights, etc) for one of my short week day runs, and that really worked for me, in terms of keeping me injury free and keeping me from getting bored.

And most important of all, go to a RUNNING SPECIALTY STORE and get fitted for shoes (and inserts if you need them). This is crucial. Running will not be enjoyable (and could be dangerous) in the wrong pair of shoes.

Good luck! You can do it!

tylersmama
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
:yeahthat:

That is PLENTY of time! Start building up your fitness base now, however you like. Run, swim, bike, hike, doesn't matter. I'm training for my first half-marathon at the beginning of April. I'm on a 12 week training program. It's a beginner training program, even though I have the base to jump into an intermediate program, simply because I like the flexibility it offers to juggle things around. I'm currently running 3-4 days a week. I cross-train (spin class, swimming, and/or skiing) 2-3 days a week, and one day a week is off. I'm using Hal Higdon's program (http://www.halhigdon.com/index.html), but there are a lot of good running programs out there.

Definitely go get fitted for shoes at a specialty shop. A good shop will watch you run in different pairs of shoes to find the one that offers the right amount of stability for your foot. They will also let you return the shoe even after you run in it if it's just not working.

I used to HATE running. Gradually the hate turned to dislike. Then it was kind of ok. I actually kind of LIKE running now. Don't know that I'll ever get to love, but that's ok! I'm more into triathlons (I like the variety!), but I figured that doing a half would help propel me into my real goal for this summer, an Olympic distance tri. Heck, if I can run 13 miles, running 6 after swimming and biking should be no big deal, right? ;)

I TOTALLY think you should go for it! Good luck!

tylersmama
02-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Consider cross-training -- I'm more of a triathlon person these days than a runner, but I'm a big fan of cross training. Biking and swimming have let me keep racing so even when my knees can't take more running, I can still workout and still race.

Hey Jen, I didn't know you did tri's! Which ones did you do last summer? Maybe I saw you and didn't even know it! :)

jenmcadams
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey Jen, I didn't know you did tri's! Which ones did you do last summer? Maybe I saw you and didn't even know it! :)

I've been thinking I should send you a PM with my contact info (I'll do that now) -- last year was my first year back at triathlon since 2005. I did the 5340 Sprint, Boulder Peak and the Rattlesnake Oly. Last year I did my first ever cycling race -- the Lookout Mountain Hill Climb. This year my schedule will be the same I think. I also normally do 1 or 2 running races although with my PF last summer, the only one I did was the Title9K. I'm not sure where you live, but email if you want and maybe we could go riding or meet up at a race some time :)

tylersmama
02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Ok, didn't see you last summer then! I did the Danskin and Crescent Moon sprint tris. Wanted to possibly do the Rattlesnake but I was out of town that weekend. I JUST started doing tris last summer, Danskin was my first!

PM'd you back, so I guess we can take the discussion there and return this thread to its original topic. ;)

SASM
02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
It is awesome that you are taking that first step!! :) I want to write a TON but I have a screaming baby in my lap. Here is my post on running my first and only (so far) marathon in 2006. I am hoping to do it again maybe next year. Anyway...I think tht I wrote about how I trained, etc. I hope that you find the post helpful. HUGE hugs of motivation to you. Jera just recently finished a mini-triathon and Mariah ran her first marathon last summer, too. I found a lot of inspiration on www.runnersworld.com, too.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=238416&highlight=marathoner

GOOD LUCK!!! Sorry so short.