PDA

View Full Version : Help! Where can I get fortune cookies?

s7714
02-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Question one...where the heck can I buy fortune cookies on short notice in suburbia (need around 30 of them by tomorrow)?

Question two (and the harder one)...does anyone know if there's a brand of fortune cookies that are safe for those with nut allergies?

The moral of the story, don't wait to sign up for preschool snack duty at the last minute...

wencit
02-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I can't answer question 2, but for question 1, can you go to a local Chinese restaurant and ask to buy a box from them? That was my first thought.

You don't have to answer, but I'm just dying to know why you "have" to buy fortune cookies for preschool snack duty! :) Seems like an odd request!

vludmilla
02-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't know about the nut allergies---I'd be nervous about even trusting any promises in that area.

As for getting any fortune cookies---how about asking a chinese restaurant to sell them to you?

bonbon98
02-06-2008, 08:45 PM
You don't have to answer, but I'm just dying to know why you "have" to buy fortune cookies for preschool snack duty! :) Seems like an odd request!

Tomorrow is the New Year - it's the Year of the Rat.

I bought mine from the local Chinese/Asian grocery store - they have them individually wrapped.

wencit
02-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Tomorrow is the New Year - it's the Year of the Rat.

I bought mine from the local Chinese/Asian grocery store - they have them individually wrapped.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. You'd think as a Korean, I would remember, LOL! Thanks for reminding me.

s7714
02-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I can't answer question 2, but for question 1, can you go to a local Chinese restaurant and ask to buy a box from them? That was my first thought.

I thought about asking the restaurant we usually go to, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to see the main packaging, and I don't know if the individually wrapped cookies would say anything about nut processing.

And yes, as the PP said, I need them for Chinese New Year! DDs class is having a dragon parade and celebration on Friday.

s7714
02-07-2008, 01:56 AM
I called my local restaurant and one of the guys was kind enough to read me the ingredients from one of the boxes of cookies. It didn't specifically say anything about being made in a location where nuts are processed, BUT they do have almond extract in them. Now I'm assuming almond extract could have some nut allergy components considering it's essentially from almonds. Do any of our nut allergy moms know if that's actually the case though?

Now I'm wondering, could sugar cookies be successfully made into fortune cookie shapes? :dizzy:

rlu
02-07-2008, 02:23 AM
They actually sell them at Luckys/Albertsons - in the "ethnic foods" aisle. I gave them out at Halloween. Never even thought about the nut allergies!

s7714
02-07-2008, 06:41 PM
They actually sell them at Luckys/Albertsons - in the "ethnic foods" aisle. I gave them out at Halloween. Never even thought about the nut allergies!

I called my Albertsons this morning and they said they didn't have any. I'm going to try a different grocery store which has a slightly larger ethnic section. If they don't have them I'm giving up. Graham crackers anyone? ;)