PDA

View Full Version : A new twist for us on th 1st grade vs k next year choice- wwyd?

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I have felt good about my choice to move my summer boy to 1st grade after going to k this year at a private school (they have a 12/31 cut off so a lot of people use the k as a pre-k year since the regular cut off here is 9/1). I wanted to have the option of doing k at another school next year (his school now only goes through k) or going to 1st at the new school.

His teachers recommended 1st.

But, he doesn't have many friends. he has been the new kid in his class 3 years running and he is prone to just playing alone b/c he has a hard time breaking into pre-existing social circles. I just found out today that 3 kids from his class (the 3 kids he happens to ride the bus with too!) are going to the school we are sending ds to next year and they will be doing k. The new school only has one class per grade so he would be in class with them.

It would be really nice for him to have built in friends and not have to start all over again. But, it doesn't really seem like a good enough reason to have him do k again, right?

I just have been feeling so guilty about all the new schools and classes. I just hadn't planned out his education well enough back when he was 3. I don't want him to be a loner all through school.

Like I said, it is a small school so he will see these other kids and they actually do some mixed great classes.

Ok, that's my rambling. Does anyone have any opinion on this? 1st and new again or k and built in friends? I had a lot of reasons to have him do 1st but now I am questioning myself. I was thinking that I should ask ds but I am afraid that that isn't the best idea since ultimately I will make the choice I feel is best.

Thanks!!

Beth

egoldber
02-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, it will be a new dynamic at the new school. Just because they were his friends at this school doesn't mean they will be friends in the new school. If you have good reason to send him to 1st, then I would still do that.