PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning after stomach bug (TMI)

bubbaray
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
What do you do?

DD#1 was sick early this morning (see my bitching post....). A little on the carpet in the spare room. Rest on hard surfaces, which I bleach-wiped (Lysol disinfectant wipes, not the real bleach ones). I also used the same wipes on the carpet and the hard surfaces. DH is going to steam clean the carpet when he comes home tonight and I will keep DD#2 (and #1) out of those areas until he's done that.

I'm big into the CHCP natural cleaners. I did use 1:1 vinegar/water spray on the hardwood in the kitchen (after I'd walked on it from upstairs). And, of course, I have laundry going (probably will all day, sigh).

Any other ideas? I'm pretty sure this is food poisoning or similar as DD#1 does not have a fever and feels fine now. DH and I both feel sick and the three of us ate the same chicken dish last night. So, I'm pretty sure its not noro- or roto-virus. Fingers crossed at least.

trales
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Good old fashioned soap and really hot water should kill most everything. When I was working with bacteria in the lab, we used a lot of detergent and HOT water to clean up (and an autoclave), but that is just steam. Good luck, cleaning up that stuff sucks.

psophia17
02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
DH used Windex on the floors, counters, walls, and all the other hard surfaces when the boys had the noro-whatever going around a couple of weekends ago. We had to deal with carpet twice, and he used shaving cream on it, followed by a heavy layer of baking soda and then the vacuum.

I hope it is food poisoning, because the noro-thing going around is easily the grossest illness I've ever had to deal with.