PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Entertainment Books?

unionindigo
02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Bargain saving friends..
we are thinking about purchasing the entertainment books. Are they worth it? Do you know if the restaurant coupons let you take out or is it just dine in only? The thought of going out with two babies under two is just terrifying!!!!!
Thanks

sidmand
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
We don't end up using it much, but I think it's almost always worth it. I think it may depend on the wording of the coupon whether you have to dine in or take out (or either).

We usually get an Entertainment book when we travel somewhere else too (NYC or Orlando usually) and all our books usually cost about $15-20, so as long as we use it once or twice, it usually covers the price of the book. One half-price dinner usually cuts it.

I think you can check online to see if there are any coupons you would use. We also often use the 1/2 price ones for the zoo or the museums, so all in all, even if we only use it a few times, it usually more than pays for itself. And we've eaten at a few places we wouldn't have normally. Sometimes that can be bad, but usually it's good! ;)

hwin708
02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I agree with the previous poster. While it's not something I use much, it does always make up for the cost pretty easily.

As for take out/dine ine - I don't really know. Each coupon likely has it's own restrictions and terms. Generally, I've never had a problem with using coupons for take out.

Also, if you order online right now, they are having a $10 off sale. Plus, if you have a FatCash account (easy enough to set up one at FalWallet), you get an extra 35% off, Free Shipping, $7 CashBack (if you are unfamiliar with FatCash/ebates type programs, basically after you order - sometimes it takes a few weeks - you get cash back in your FatCash account, which can then be transferred to your Paypal or bank checking account.) and a $25 restaurants.com gift certificate (which, as people at FatWallet are quick to point out, is often laden with restrictions, so really not all that exciting).

So you can definitely get a good deal on an Entertainment book right now.

The FatCash Entertainment book page HERE (http://www.fatwallet.com/cash-back-coupons/Entertainment-Books).

QueenBee
02-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Even though we don't use it as much as we did before we had kids, we still save a bunch. There are coupons for other things besides dinner, for example, our area book has several $5.00 off 50.00 at Safeway. We have also used the coupons for car rentals, florists, video rental, movies, zoo etc.
I usually keep a running tab on the last page of the book on how much we have saved for the year. It is pretty surprising how fast it adds up.

Beth

MOMMY2MITCHELLnTBD
02-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the tip.. I just ordered my entertainment book...can't wait to get it so I can start saving some $$

mommyx2
02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
We think it is worth it. Even with two little ones we use it enough to more than make up for it. We always use the dry cleaning coupons (usually they are for 50% off), videos, movies, golf, bowling, zoo, rec center, ACO Hardware, Damman Sporting Goods, KB Toys, etc. So as you can see there is much more than just food coupons. Oh we also always use the comedy club coupons. Plus like pp we tend to try new restaurants because of the coupons and they usually end up pretty good.

Peg
DS Benjamin 12/4/04
DD Katherine 6/1/06

LD92599
02-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I manage to get mine fairly cheap and i tend to "go through" 4 books throughout the course of a year. Some exampes:

(4) $5 off coupons for the grocery store i most frequent - though i need to REMEMBER the #_%)$ coupon!
B1G1 Free for the ferry (worth $14)
B1G1 Free for the circus, Disney on Ice, etc.
McDonalds & Subway - need i say more? Though i am SOOO disappointed that our book this year doesn't have the B1G1 free extra value meals. The books last year had i think 4 of them of each one saved $6. I did hear that some of the NJ books DO have the EVM coupons in them...if that's the case i'll order another book.

My books definitely pay for themselves....and i do "trade" coupons w/ a few folks at work. Coupons i will never use for ones they will never use.

DrSally
02-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Usually, they're for dine in only. I have used mine in the past. They usually pay for themselves quickly. If nothing, just in fast food coupons. They have online deals too, like 10% off Target.com last year. It depends on the number/quality of coupons in your book. I was disappointed in the Southern CT book. They're running a special now $10 off plus a $25 restaurant gift card (from restaurant.com, which you would pay$10 for IRL). So, I just ordered mine for $25 last night plus the GC to a local place.

ETA: forgot the drycleaning coupons, used those every month and saved $5 a month. Also, it's nice when you find a new place you like, which I guess, is the point of the book for the merchants.

unionindigo
02-08-2008, 11:15 AM
thanks, Ladies! I just love love love this board.. off to purchase my entertainment book right now!