PDA

View Full Version : When do babies outgrow reflux?

gatorsmom
02-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm at my wit's end. Greenbean will only nap in the Mobywrap or sitting upright (with his head falling forward) in his swing on fulltilt. I'm sure it's because of his reflux- he can't sit or lay at an incline because it hurts.

When will he outgrow this?

ThreeofUs
02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Oh, Lisa. I wish I had an easy "he'll grow out of it by X months" for you!

My DS still has not outgrown his reflux; he just learned how to manage it. According to our ped, this is fairly normal. But maybe Greenbean will be different?! Hope so....

The antacid we used stopped the hurting, and we were giving it to him in breast milk from very early on. It helped DS, but he still could only sleep on his tummy, on us, or in a swing until about 18 months.

Hang in there!

o_mom
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Mine outgrew it around 7-8 mos, when they could sit unassisted and generally developed those muscles. Every child is different, though. Is he on meds? Are they increasing the dose as he grows (it is based on weight)? Sometimes they can change every few weeks during a growth spurt.

HIU8
02-07-2008, 04:38 PM
DS outgrew it at 11 months.

MamaMolly
02-07-2008, 04:44 PM
DD just weaned off her her reflux meds at 15 months. We tried (per ped's recommendation) at 9 months and it was not a good situation. Have you looked into a used Ambi hammock or Tucker wedge? I hear they help but have no BTDT. HTH

egoldber
02-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Amy's got much better when she started eating a fair amount of solids, around 7-8 months. We are just now successfully weaning her from her Zantac at almost 16 months.

icunurse
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Is he taking meds for it? DD needed two, one to reduce acid production and one to coat her esophagus because it was so irritated. We stopped the one for coating at 6 months old and DH and I were just talking the other day about asking the ped at the 9-month visit about stopping the one for acid. She barely spits up any more and is a totally different baby (and she was REALLY bad when the reflux was at its worst). The GI doc said most kids outgrow it by 12-18 months old. As others have said, sitting up and solids seem to really make a big difference. Maybe try smaller, more frequent meals. DD still sleeps in her swing - we are having a heck of a time getting her to go back in her crib when she has slept in it for so long. (But for her safety/sanity and ours, we would do it again and I imagine she won't be going to sleepovers with her swing ;) Hang in there.

mominct2004
02-07-2008, 05:09 PM
DS outgrew it around 9 months; DD around 12 months

denvergal
02-07-2008, 06:39 PM
ds grew out of it around the 13-14 month mark. i hope it is sooner for you! remind yourself that it's temporary and hang in there!

niccig
02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
We weaned off prevacid at 14 months or so. We had trouble with DS and weight gain until we tried the prevacid, zantac didn't work for us. He had to sleep in the car seat, loosely strapped in until 9 months, but once he was on the prevacid, we could switch to the crib.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
DD stopped taking meds for it at 9 months. Is he on medication now? It really is a lifesaver!

rupptopia
02-08-2008, 12:17 AM
DS grew out of it at 12 months. The Zantac really, really helped though - we were able to transition from the bouncy chair to the crib without a problem. The formula with rice added helped also (breastfeeding issues so we used Enfamil AR.)

lvales
02-08-2008, 02:05 AM
We finally were able to wean DD off of her meds at 3. They really were a lifesaver though!

hellbennt
02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
we tried to take ds off meds at 9 months & it was a no go.
He was off at 12 months.
it's 'usually' 9 months
or 12 months
or 15 months
& then from there....up to age 3...
~laura~
www.infantreflux.org/forum

tmarie
02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Sorry you are dealing with this! Our dd stopped her reflux medication at 8-9 months and was fine. I think it tends to vary child to child. Good luck!

Tmarie