PDA

View Full Version : Good, low-maintenance humidifier?

tylersmama
02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I need to get a new humidifier. I've been through many over the years and have yet to find one that I really like. The cool air models tend to get nasty/gross because I forget to clean/change the water as often as you're supposed to. The warm air models tend to get lots of scale and hard water buildup (again probably because I don't clean it as often as you're supposed to). I don't mind having to change a filter, as long as the filter isn't too expensive and is fairly easy to buy replacements.

Any recommedations for a good one? TIA!

lisams
02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Honestly, I've ditched the filter ones because they gross me out. We use the cheap Vick's warm mist for when the kids are sick. I like that the water boils so any bacteria is killed. I just put some Vinegar in it and let it sit for a few hours and rinse it out. I only need to do this once every week or so.

Not sure that helped or not! Good luck in your search!

happy2bamom
02-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I've had the germ guardian for a couple of months now and so far it requires no maintenance (there are no filters). There is also a bigger model, for larger rooms. I use this one in the nursery. I bought mine online at Costco.

http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Technologies-Tabletop-Ultrasonic-Humidifier/dp/B001023IZG

tylersmama
02-11-2008, 02:02 AM
I just ordered the germ guardian. We'll see how it works! I have an ultrasonic humidifier at the moment, but it still gets moldy/icky, so the nanosilverwhatchamacallit sounds good. :)