PDA

View Full Version : Multiple car seats for 2 kids

myboysmom
02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a 4 yo, 42", 42 lb DS and a 8 mo DS (would guess 24", 20 lb). The 4 y.o. rides in many different cars (two parents, two grandparents, and a babysitter). The 8 month old will eventually need seats in all these cars as well.

My immediate need is for one seat for each kid. First question is should I get a Safety 1st Apex or a Graco Nautilus for DS1? I already have a Safety 1st Apex for one grandparent, which we've liked alot (no problem with the high seatback) but need another seat for the babysitter. I don't know anything about the Nautilus except what I've read here and there on this board.

DS1 rides in 2 marathons in my car and DH's car. I'm trying to plan for the long-term to avoid having to buy too many more seats. DS2 is in a ComfortSport in my car (handed down from a friend), and a scenera in one grandparent's car. He needs a new seat in DH's car. I'm thinking I'll get him a Scenera for now (and may get another for the babysitter too), then when he hits the max. height/weight in the CS and Scenera, I'll move him into the marathons in our cars, reclaim the Apexes for DS1 in our cars, get boosters for the grandparents/babysitter and figure out then what to put DS2 in in all those extra cars. Uugh!

Any better plan? Is the Scenera still a good seat? I'm trying not to spend too much because I have so many cars to buy for.

Also, I was looking on-line for the best deal on the safety first seat and found two seats which both appear to have the same features. One is called, at least on amazon.com (which has both), the Safety 1st Deluxe High Back Belt Positioning Booster, model 22-531MSN, for $116.99. It has the 5-point harness to 65 lbs. This looks like what I already have. The other is called the Safety 1st Apex 65 Booster Car Seat, model 22-535CDE, for $150. Anyone know the difference? Which should I get? (Price difference is not an issue because I found the second one elsewhere for $119.)

Thanks so much! I'm a big fan of this board and a frequent lurker.