PDA

View Full Version : WWYD- DD has a high fever

LarsMal
02-07-2008, 11:19 PM
DD has had a high fever for 24 hours now. My friend's DD had it last week and my neighbor's DD has had it, too. They both said they took their DDs in and had strep and flu tests done. All were negative.

Her fever was 101.1 last night and 102 today. Motrin brought it down, but it would spike as the meds wore off. She's acting fine, though, no cough, runny nose, eating/drinking fine. She's tugged on her ear a couple times, but doesn't seem bothered by it.

How long would you let the fever go before you went to the drs? I called the ped this morning and the nurse said it was up to me if I wanted to bring her in or not. She said there are two bugs going around, a stomach bug, and one that is just a high fever. Both of my friends whose DDs have had this said to just stay out of the peds office, avoid the germs.

Any other DCs out there with this lovely bug? I'd prefer to stay out of the peds office, but I'd feel really bad if she has an infection. The nurse made it sound like as long as the Motrin was bringing her temp. down w/in an hour and she wasn't showing other symptoms, it was fine not to bring her in.

WWYD?

Corie
02-07-2008, 11:42 PM
I got a call from the school nurse today to come pick up
my daughter. She had a fever of 102 degrees.
She came home and slept for over an hour. Then woke
up and was fine. She still had the fever though. But she
ate pizza for dinner and was dancing around. (until I made
her get back on the couch!)

bubbaray
02-08-2008, 12:05 AM
If there are no other symptoms and meds bring the fever down, I'd wait it out for a couple of days.

kristenk
02-08-2008, 12:18 AM
I'd wait as long as the fever is responding to Motrin. DD was sick last week with a lingering, high temp. DD had the flu and definitely had other symptoms, so it's definitely a different bug, but I wanted to share something the nurse mentioned.

I called the after-hours number on Saturday evening. DD's temp had been 103.8. I gave her some Motrin but an hour later, her temp was still 101. I talked to the nurse and she said that they just looked for the fever responding to the fever reducer by 1-2 degrees. As long as DD's temp went down 1-2 degrees after taking the meds, the fever reducer was working as well as they wanted it to. I didn't think that her fever would disappear completely with Motrin, but I was expecting it to get closer to normal than 101! Anyway, I just thought I'd share. I never knew that and this past experience was our first real time with a lingering high fever.

Hope your DD feels better soon!

ilovetivo
02-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Sorry ladies about your little ones.

There's some good info here on what to do when
fever: http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp
colds (fever info too): http://askdrsears.com/html/8/T081000.asp

Per Dr. Sears, for older kids, one should wait 3-5 days depending on temp, unless kiddo is acting super sick. But trust your gut.

DD is almost over being sick, but w/ other sx (cough, runny nose, stuffy, no appetite, exhausted). Sickest she's ever been. On day 4 (thurs) of her cold she came down w/ a fever. Fever lasted 5-6 days. It would get up to 104 rectally in the evening a couple nights. It's always higher at night.

Dr (on Sat) said meds should bring it down 1.5-2 degrees. We brought her in not b/c of the fever, not b/c of the coughing. She would wake up every 3 minutes coughing and then choking on on the cough/mucus, then vomited a couple times from the cough/mucus.

Feel better all!

ShanaMama
02-08-2008, 12:24 AM
My ped once explained to me that fever is the body's way of fighting whatever is going on & our goal should be to keep the child comfortable, not necessarily get rid of the fever. That was news to me because I'd always thought you need to bring the fever down.
If she's acting herself & you're comfortable with it, I'd wait it out a few more days. My ped is always asking me how responsive DD is & using that as a much stricter scale than fever per se. If she was limp or lethargic that would be cause for concern, regardless of the degree of fever.

Marisa6826
02-08-2008, 01:46 AM
I've always gone more by the kiddo's behaviour than by the number on the thermometer - meaning, I'd be much more alarmed at a fever of 101.5 and a kid that was completely lethargic than if she was at 103 and running around like a hooligan.

You can alternate with Motrin and Tylenol to keep the fever down, and as long as it's responding to the antipyretics (that's what the meds are called), you should be OK. My Ped's office said that they usually would want to see a kiddo after 3 days only if the fever hasn't dropped at all and if there haven't been ANY other symptoms.

There are definitely a few different bugs going around, so, sit tight, load up on Noggin, fluids and snuggle time.

You're definitely in good company!

-m

AngelaS
02-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I generally give it 3 days provided I can bring it down and the child isn't acting really lethargic. I tend to go more on how they're acting than the number on the thermometer. And I know sometimes when I'm sick, I just want to lay around and sleep so I let my girls do the same.

LarsMal
02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone! Her temp is still up, but she's still acting fine, so I'm going to stick it out a few more days. She tugged on her ear a couple times yesterday, but hasn't really been bothering it, so I don't think it's connected (at least not yet!).

Poor thing woke up this morning around 6:30 just miserable. I gave her Motrin before taking her temp, but after an hour or so it was 101, so I can't imagine what it was before the meds. Before the medicine kicked in I had her in bed with me and she was just rolling around on the bed, whimpering and crying, and then hitting me- always fun! I was getting worried that something more was going on, but I got a cool washcloth and held it to her forehead and neck and that really seemed to calm her down. About 30 minutes after the meds she was back to her normal happy self. Still hitting, but if she wasn't hitting I'd be worried!

Thanks again!

brittone2
02-08-2008, 01:21 PM
My ped once explained to me that fever is the body's way of fighting whatever is going on & our goal should be to keep the child comfortable, not necessarily get rid of the fever. That was news to me because I'd always thought you need to bring the fever down.
If she's acting herself & you're comfortable with it, I'd wait it out a few more days. My ped is always asking me how responsive DD is & using that as a much stricter scale than fever per se. If she was limp or lethargic that would be cause for concern, regardless of the degree of fever.

ITA. Our old pediatrician (very mainstream BTW) gave this advice as well. In our house we tend to just let fevers run their course provided there aren't any other majorly concerning symptoms going on. DS spikes notoriously high temps (103+ isn't uncommon for him) but they are usually of short duration.
Obviously you need to consult w/ your own doc and figure out how comfortable you are with that approach, but I'm of the mindset that a fever, even a highish one, isn't always in need of treatment.

Jen841
02-08-2008, 02:16 PM
J had a virus for a week which was a constant fever. When he was a lump we alternated Tylenol/Motrin. When he was himself I was not a clock watcher with the meds in hand.

I hate "run its course" things. We did have to go to the Ped at day 4 (they insisted), and they could do nothing. It was a good 8 days of fever.

Tondi G
02-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Seeing as though it is a Friday I would take my child in and have her ears checked. I waited thinking it was just a virus and then had to stick it out for the weekend... DS had an EI in one ear and the other was just starting up on the following Monday. I kicked myself for not following my instinct and taking him in (even though I was feeling awful myself).

Hope she is better soon

~Tondi

JBaxter
02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
2 of mine went through the fever cough runny nose stuff 2 weeks ago. It took about a week up and down fevers My oldst is a big kid and they called me to pick him up from school because he was dizzy w/ a temp of 102. He didnt have a temp when he left that morning.

Took about a week to run its course here.

s7714
02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Over the past couple weeks both my DDs have had a cold(?) that followed the pattern of 3-4 days w/fever (both topped out at almost 103 before breaking), followed by another 3-4 days of coughing followed by yet another 3-4 days of runny nose/congestion. Our Ped. said it was making the rounds in our area and a lot of kids in my DDs class have had the same thing. Don't know if it'd be the same thing as in your area though!

I usually only call the doctor if they have a high fever (102+) for more than a couple days or if it doesn't respond well to tylenol and/or motrin.

tmarie
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Unless dc is really lethargic or uncomfortable, I would try to wait it out up to three days, as long as temp doesn't go above 103 or so. My dd is prone to high fevers when she gets sick...she will be acting normal, then I will notice she seems hot, and her temp will be 104. It always frightens me a little and the first couple of times meant trips to the ER. My pediatrician has assured me that as long as she isn't lethargic and acting really out of it, to try motrin and lukewarm baths. They really only get concerned when it is consistently over 103, and especially if its 104 or over. HTH and that your little one feels better!