PDA

View Full Version : making the best of a bad situation-- wwyd

hardysmom
02-08-2008, 02:46 AM
This isn't regular situation... I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. People have been incredible and have offered to help with my 3 kids while I go through surgery/reconstruction and chemo. I feel so fortunate. I can't do this on my own. There will be days that I feel horrible and can't make it to pick-up on time... knowing a friend will take my kids to their home is a huge, HUGE relief.

Anyway, I am going to have to come up with a "lesser of evils" carseat solution for my (almost 4 yr old) twins. They are tall (41" ish), but very light-- 33 & 35 lbs. In my car, I have them in MAs. I can't expect people to install 2 full-sized carseats (+ a booster for my 6 yr old DS) in order to transport my kids from school while I get it together enough to retrieve them. Even if I thought this was a realistic option, after surgery I will have trouble removing the seats and bringing them into school, then reinstalling them.

I can't guarantee that every car has latch or tethers. I can't guarantee that every person who picks them up knows how to install a seat, or is willing to do so correctly. Many of the kids in their class are in backless boosters. My guess is that my kids will often be in a 3rd row... having the ability to fasten heir own belts will be a big asset.

I am trying to find a decent compromise that I can live with. I could use some advice... any suggestions for semi-light, easy boosters? Something that doesn't require anything special (tethers, etc) to install, that is simple to move from car-to-car (while watching 3-4 preschoolers in a parking lot), and that offers some degree of security. Certainly something high-backed. Most friends live pretty close to school, so no highway driving... usually trips of less than 10 minutes.

Normally, I would not have my little kids riding around without harnesses, but I think I need to provide something brainless to operate... Offering to watch a set of 3 yr old twins and 6 yr old is A LOT. I just don't feel ok adding a bunch of demands. I know the risks. I just don't have the luxury to stick-to-my-guns on this issue 100%. Picking battles and all that...

So, if you HAD to put a 35 lb just-turned 4 yr old in a non-harnessing booster for very short rides, what would it be? I know his will irk some of you guys, I am just trying to make the best of a very bad situation.

Thanks, Stephanie

o_mom
02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Britax Parkway all the way. It has side impact protection. Fits small kids well - my DS1 is tiny and the seat fits him (4.5 yo, 39", 35 lbs, he isn't riding in it yet but we have one). Very easy to buckle - no armrests means that there is no question if the belt goes over or under so someone not familiar with it is less likely to do it wrong.

More hugs and prayers to you! I know how hard this is and I can't imagine doing it with small children.

caleymama
02-08-2008, 08:26 AM
I agree with o_mom - Britax Parkway. Good SIP, easy to use, lightweight.

The Compass B510 folds, which might be nice, but it's a little roomier. I think the Parkway would fit your twins better.

:hug: - If I were closer I'd watch them for you!

Joolsplus2
02-08-2008, 09:16 AM
P's and PT's for an easy treatment and speedy recovery to you!
Third vote for Parkways or B510s (in that order of preference).

((((HUGS)))))

niccig
02-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I would get the boosters that others have suggested, and then either you or DH can spend some time with the twins teaching them how to do up the seat belt and how to sit properly. Take them for some test drives, so they're used to their seats. If your 6 yo will also be in the same car, can you have him be the safety guard - he could remind them if they're sitting out of position etc, especially if the parent driving doesn't see.

I wouldn't worry - you have them in safe boosters, and have taught them how to use them - they'll be fine and you can spend your time getting better. Hugs and lots of positive thoughts.