PDA

View Full Version : Need a seat for DH's truck

christiedavid3
02-08-2008, 11:36 AM
DS is currently in a Graco SS1. He's 6 months old and about 18lbs, 26in so will fit in it for quite some time. Here's my question, should I just get another base for DH's truck (regular bench seat, not extended cab) or should I go ahead and get a convertible? He won't be driving around much with DS, mainly just to daycare and home. I was thinking of the Cosco Scenera or the Evenflow Triumph. When DS is ready, I'm getting a BLVD or MA for my car, which is our main vehicle. The Cosco doesn't look too comfy, not much padding, but I know it has good reviews on here. The Triumph looks much more comfy.

So, I need some help! Any other ideas? What would you buy? TIA!

christiedavid3
02-09-2008, 04:46 PM
bump...anyone?

bubbaray
02-09-2008, 05:03 PM
How many days a week will your DS be in the truck? Check your manual, but you can use that seat without the base. If it was once a week or less, I'd probably skip the base and install using just the belt. If its daily or many times a week, I'd probably get a second base.

The longer you wait to get a good convertible seat, the further into the future you push the convertible's expiry date.

Joolsplus2
02-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to miss you! Funny question, does the truck have a passenger airbag or at least an on/off switch? If not, I wouldn't put a rearfacing child there at all, ever.

But on to the question... your kiddo might fit into the SS1 for another 6-12 months, so if that's the easiest, cheapest solution for now, you might want to just get that second base. I do love the Triumph :). The Britax might be slightly more preferable because it tethers rearfacing, and in a rear crash a rearfacing seat flips up and backwards as part of it's normal movement (except for a tethered Britax or Radian), and if you are worried that the baby's head might hit the back glass, you might prefer the tethered seat to prevent that happening.

o_mom
02-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Are you thinking the Triumph or the Triumph Advance? The regular Triumph is very short and many kids outgrow it really early (like before age 2 or 3). The Advance, OTOH is a great seat.

The Scenera doesn't look comfy, but it is really well shaped or something because most kids don't care at all. Especially if it is just for short drive from daycare to home. My kids are in Britax seats most of the time and never complain a bit in the Scenera.

christiedavid3
02-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks! DH's truck is a 2006 so it does have the switch to disengage the passenger airbag, which will ALWAYS be done. He's likely to be driving him several times a week, but actually I think I can teach DH to belt the SS1 in pretty easily. I just want to make sure he gets it really tight. I forgot all about doing that, it's probably the easiest/least expensive option. We'll see how it goes, if it doesn't work out well, I'll get a convertible for his truck. Thanks for the help.

codex57
02-15-2008, 04:21 AM
How many days a week will your DS be in the truck? Check your manual, but you can use that seat without the base. If it was once a week or less, I'd probably skip the base and install using just the belt. If its daily or many times a week, I'd probably get a second base.

The longer you wait to get a good convertible seat, the further into the future you push the convertible's expiry date.

I like this plan. We have two bases, but have forgotten a base on occasion. Belting without a base isn't that bad. I'd go this route cuz I prefer pushing the expiration date on the convertible out as far as possible.

Never know how long he'll be in the convertible or if you'll need it for a 2nd kid.