PDA

View Full Version : Are all newer cars required to have 3 top tether anchor points?

gcampbell72
02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows whether all newer cars have 3 top tether anchor points? If so, does anyone know what year this requirement went into effect?

We own a 98 passat wagon - and with baby #3 on the way, we have very reluctantly determined that we need to get a newer car since ours does not have a center tether anchor. We tried and tried to get it done through the dealer, but it's apparently impossible for our model year. And, with 3 across in that car, I can only seem to make it work if I put my 4-year old in a Radian FF in the center position - and that's my one seat position that does not have a top tether anchor point!

We'd love to have a sense of what we need to be looking for in a newer used car, so we would greatly appreciate any insight into top tether requirements and when they went into effect.

Thanks so much!
Cathy

Joolsplus2
02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
1999, you just missed it with that car :( (If you look at 2001 or newer you'll have the best luck... they were phased in to SUV's by then, and 2002 or newer has LATCH)