PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this as a Valentine gift?

KBecks
02-08-2008, 12:59 PM
I am questioning whether my husband deserves a Valentine gift (probably not) but I feel I should make an effort. My only idea is to send him to a blacksmithing workshop at a living history museum, he said that it's something he'd like to try. It's $150 and I'd have to commit him to a date. I think this might not be a good gift becuase he doesn't schedule it and it's expensive and we're not in the greatest shape right now. A larger gift would show that I'm making an effort and giving him something to do that he wouldn't plan on his own, but I don't even know if he would see it like that.

OK, so I probably need to think of something else. I have no ideas.

janeybwild
02-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Sounds like you have laready talked yourself out of it :jammin:
Instead, could you use this as a time to connect with each other? Perhaps organize a sitter, or plan a night at home doing some of the things you know he likes. In other words, your gift would be to orchestrate a whole night around being a couple and connecting? I know my DH would like a game night with lots of wine, salty foods and salty action :D

kijip
02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I'd save the workshop for his b-day and use the valentines thing to get you something that will help you as a couple. Valentines is for both of you, not one of you alone. So unless you want to do the blacksmith thing too... a nice couple's night out-cooking class, movies, theatre, dinner, wine or beer making class- whatever floats your boat. For a gift to unwrap, maybe books you will both benefit from. We have benefited tremendously over the last 6 years from Gottman's books. http://www.gottman.com/ They have videos too.

buddyleebaby
02-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I think I would skip it. It sounds very thoughtful, but if money is tight right now 150 dollars is a big hit, and they may sour it for him even if he would like to take the class.
I really think simple is best. Can you drop the kids off somewhere for a couple hours and have a nice dinner at home, just the two of you? (Maybe his favorite meal, or something you usually would not treat yourself to?) Rent a movie from blockbuster and cuddle up on the couch? Try to make a new dessert together?
I have no idea what would be fun for you, but I agree that Valentine's day should be all about taking a little time out to just appreciate one another's company.

KBecks
02-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Money's not that tight, I'm just cheap. :) I talked to him about it at lunch and we think we'll use a restaurant gift certificate we won at a charity auction a while ago and go on a date (but NOT on the 14th!)

ETA: Thanks for helping me work it out!