PDA

View Full Version : ugh...tuition increases

jhrabosk
02-08-2008, 01:38 PM
My DCP handed out contract renewals today. After telling us yesterday that the increase would be around 10% (which I had a hard enough time with), I opened it to find that the increase is actually about 16%.

Another $220/month. I don't HAVE another $220/month. That makes my daycare cost approximately $20K/year. Am I the only one who thinks this is outrageous? Even sadder is that this isn't the most expensive DCP in town.

I can't quit my job b/c I have the health benefits.

I would consider exploring other daycare options, but we might move within the next year and, if we don't, DD will start the town preschool program in Sept 09. I just don't want to bounce her around more than necessary within the space of 18 months.

Ugh...I'm just sick about it.

hellokitty
02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Um wow, $220 extra a month? There is no way we could swing that. I can understand why you are upset. Would it be cheaper just to hire a private babysitter or nanny with that price increase?

jhrabosk
02-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Um wow, $220 extra a month? There is no way we could swing that. I can understand why you are upset. Would it be cheaper just to hire a private babysitter or nanny with that price increase?

Oh, if only it were.

The nannies here average $15/hour. I'd even consider a nanny share, but DD has been in a group environment her whole life...I think that taking her out now would be a bad idea.

julieakc
02-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow - that is a step increase! I'd be upset too.

I am seriously in awe of those of you who pay all that money in child care/preschool costs - DH makes a very good salary but we couldn't swing $20k a year!

kijip
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Ugh! That is really steep. For that rate, I hope the center is really, really, really great. Is there any set reason for such an increase? That is well more than the rate of inflation. What is the extra money paying for?

pb&j
02-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Holy mackeral!! Yes, 20K per year is insane. I would flip my lid if day care cost that much. :32:And I would definitely look into a nanny-share or coop. A good nanny with 1 or 2 other charges of the same age could provide the socialization DD needs at a fraction of the cost.

jhrabosk
02-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks, all, for validating my vent. :)

At the moment, I think my health benefits alone make the daycare cost worthwhile. If I were to leave my job, not only would we lose my income, but we'd have to pay an exorbitant amount to be on DH's policy. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

The director did give several valid reasons for raising rates. She has two locations and both are housed in prime real estate...the management company has raised her common area charges significantly. Ok. She also has an increase in cost on her staff's medical plan. Also ok...I do budgets for my company and our insurance broker projected 12% for next year. Finally, she offers contributions to a retirement plan for staff who stay longer than 2 years and she says that she has 19 employees who qualify next year. I'm all for that.

But, I can't help but wonder whether she's also jacking up the price for the simple reason that she can. There's a new place in town that's even more expensive, so she can raise her price and still say that she's not the highest.

I don't know...we have a very short turnaround to make a decision. We're having two other kids from the class over for brunch on Sunday and I'm sure it'll be a topic of conversation. And, to add insult to injury, DD would've qualified for the free town program in September except that they just changed the cutoff date. Grr.

You wanna know what's worse? That $20K is for FOUR days, not 5. :)

hellokitty
02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks, all, for validating my vent. :)

At the moment, I think my health benefits alone make the daycare cost worthwhile. If I were to leave my job, not only would we lose my income, but we'd have to pay an exorbitant amount to be on DH's policy. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

The director did give several valid reasons for raising rates. She has two locations and both are housed in prime real estate...the management company has raised her common area charges significantly. Ok. She also has an increase in cost on her staff's medical plan. Also ok...I do budgets for my company and our insurance broker projected 12% for next year. Finally, she offers contributions to a retirement plan for staff who stay longer than 2 years and she says that she has 19 employees who qualify next year. I'm all for that.

But, I can't help but wonder whether she's also jacking up the price for the simple reason that she can. There's a new place in town that's even more expensive, so she can raise her price and still say that she's not the highest.

I don't know...we have a very short turnaround to make a decision. We're having two other kids from the class over for brunch on Sunday and I'm sure it'll be a topic of conversation. And, to add insult to injury, DD would've qualified for the free town program in September except that they just changed the cutoff date. Grr.

You wanna know what's worse? That $20K is for FOUR days, not 5. :)

I can't help but think that you can't be the only parents who are upset about this HUGE increase. Is there any way that the parents can ban together to request that the tuition hike be cut in half? Do you think other parents will bail and go to another center b/c of this, or do ppl feel as if they have no other choice but to pay. It just sounds so sleezy to me that the director is doing this, just b/c she thinks she can, I think I would move my child out of that center, just b/c every time I saw that place it would make my blood boil. But that's just me.

wellyes
02-08-2008, 06:43 PM
On the one hand, it's just $2650/year, really. That's not *that* unbearable, right? I wouldn't take that as a "should I quit my job over this" price hike.

On the other hand, a 16% increase is pretty much a violation of trust since it's more than 50% above the increase you were told to expect. It's not like the director didn't know the value of the real estate, or that she'd have workers eligible for retirement benefits. It's deliberately deceptive (to give you less time to shop around) or very poor planning. Either way, I'd have a hard time trusting her after that.

M&Mmom
02-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Can DH stay home? I know that my DH would love to stay home with the kids for a year or so. However, HE's the one with benefits and I am self-employed so......

Melanie
02-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Good Heaven's that is an enormous jump! Is that even legal?

Bean606
02-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I am so there with you. Our DCP increased tuition by $200, and is reducing hours so that we might not even get to pick DS up on time. Meanwhile, it is a little late to find something else, considering everything around here has a one year plus waiting list, and we have to reup by next week. AAARGHH! We are going to pay the deposit and keep looking for a new place.

ETA Update: We decided on a new place this morning. I'm sad that DS is leaving a place he likes, but the director gave us no choice with the shorter hours and higher price tag.

Lovingliv
02-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Holy moly!!! I thought our daycare was high.....is this a "school". Is it well known, or a private center....this is so high!!!