PDA

View Full Version : Car seats in all vehicles or just one?

elektra
02-08-2008, 03:45 PM
So after all the help here, I decided to get a MA for my car for my almost 11 mo DD to ride in (which I am really excited about receiving in the mail BTW :) ).
So I am debating between a Scenera, EFTA, or another MA for DH's Hyundai Santa Fe, which DD only rides in on the weekends when we do family errands. And there have been a few times DH drives DD somewhere without me but that's only happened a handful of times so far.

Up until now we have had a base installed in each car all the time, and we've just moved the bucket back and forth. I think there was only one time where my husband had to take it out to accommodate some passengers in the back.

Do most people leave the car seat installed in that second vehicle? I'm sure it really depends on how often it would be used, but I feel like it would be a pain to reinstall once a week. What do you think?

Also, of the above seats I'm considering, which is the easiest to install?

mom2binsd
02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I think once you get the MA you will want another one, it's often easier if you have two seats that are the same, you get used to how the harness adjusts etc...you will get a lot of use out of both seats, and having the extra seat is so handy and not having to install every time you use DH's car is nice. Britax is having a big sale at the end of Feb. so maybe wait until then. I love our MA's, the latch connectors, the thick harnesses that don't twist, the comfort factor - I really believe for just over 200 dollars you are getting a seat that will last your child possibly 5 years. Also, the MA is wonderful to Rear Facing ( RF) extended (meaning don't turn your child forward at one year but leave them RF until they hit the 33 pound mark-both mine did). The tethering option RF is also a extra safety feature not found on other seats.

P.S. Wait till you see how big the box is that the seat comes in!

momtoonegirl
02-08-2008, 04:58 PM
We have 2 Marathons (one in each car), although DD is in my car 98% of the time. She is only in DH's car on the weekends.

It was worth the simplicity of installation, and familiarity with the car seat for us to have two of the same. We also use the Marathon in DH's car for travelling.

HTH :)

ETA: We leave both of the car seats installed unless we take it out to use for travel.

ellies mom
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
DD is rarely in DH's car but I like to keep a seat in there in case of an emergency and the fact that I'm too lazy to switch them around all the time or worry about whether DH will want to drive some where before I leave with my car. It is just easier. Plus we use the seat in DH's car as our travel seat, which is nice because we don't have to worry about re-installing the seat into my car in the airport parking lot at the end of a day of traveling. We just toss the extra seat in the trunk with the rest of the luggage and go home.

Usually we buy two of the same seat but that may change in the future as we decide DD1's next seat.

hez
02-08-2008, 06:10 PM
We had two of the same seats at that age (Roundabouts). I wish I'd bought two Marathons instead then-- I must have been in denial about how fast DS would grow. Anyway, in our case we both work, and it just made sense since DS rode in both our cars.

I think even if I weren't working, I'd want two seats for the convenience factor. I don't know if it would matter to me that they were the same-- we have two different seats now.

caleymama
02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
We had 2 Roundabouts and now 2 Marathons and have been very happy with them. DD2 is in a MA in both vehicles. DD1 started out in a RA in both vehicles after the infant seat then went to a MA & a Regent and DD2 was in the RAs. Now DD1 is in the Regent and a Parkway and DD2 has 2 MAs. The RAs expired this month (goodbye my beloved Cowmoo RAs!)

The EFTA is a nice, cushy seat with good weight limits but I didn't care for the harness adjuster when I fiddled with it in person (I may be in the minority on that).

My vote would be for another MA for the reasons PP have mentioned and b/c we've been so happy with ours - overall it's a great seat with good longevity and nice safety features like the RF tether and it installs easily.

ETA: I've always liked having a second seat (or set of seats in our case now) installed in DH's vehicle. There are times when he has his backseat out for cargo space (Jeep Wrangler) and I miss having the flexibility of the spare seats in his car when he doesn't have them installed.

801kelle
02-08-2008, 07:20 PM
If you can afford to have a car seat in each car..DO IT... it ensures that once you install your seat properly it is there to stay... then you don't have the hassle of transferring back and forth between cars.. and also the possibility if you are in a hurry that you don't get a good install... We had Marathons for our DD in each car and she still fits in it.. she is 4.5 yo, 40 lbs and 42 inches tall. I chose to get Regents, which is what we have now because it is bigger and roomier not because she outgrew her Marathon.. But we still have one Marathon that I use as a extra seat and for when we travel!!!

codex57
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
We're debating this right now. DS is turning out to be a skinny, but tall kid. We don't switch often, but it's enough of a pain that I'm pretty sure we're gonna buy another convertible. Those things are much bigger and bulkier than the infant seat bases. I can't imagine switching those things back and forth.

Just trying to decide whether to get another Como or go with one of the Britaxes.

niccig
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
We have a seat installed in DH's car all the time - mostly just weekend, but sometimes DH does preschool drop-off. I can install our seats in just a few minutes, but it's sooo nice to just get in and drive.

As to what seat you get, that's up to you. We had a Britax Bvld in my car and a cheaper car seat (Cosco Touriva) in DH's car. Then I read about the Touriva and notches in the shell that may have been linked to head injuries in a couple of kids, so I wanted to ditch that. DH insisted on having a seat as good as the one in my car - we got a Recaro Como, there's a chance DS will use it longer (higher slots and weight limit), but it has narrower shoulders than the Bvld, so maybe not. I also got a Safety First Uptown for the babysitter to use, it's our spare seat for other kids and travel seat - it's nicely padded, side impact foam, high harness, but only 40lbs, not an issue for us as DS at 3yo is only 30lbs. It's $100 or some people have seen it on sale in Walmart stores for $50.

So gist of the above - it depends if you want your second seat to be as nice as your first, or if you're OK with slightly less features and less years of use because of lower harness and lower weight limits.

KrisM
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
We have less expensive seats in DH's car because he rarely takes the kids in it. When we have our third child, he'll only have 2 seats in his car and it'll work fine.

We bought a Scenera for DH's car years ago. Now he has that for DD and the Wizard (pre-BV) for DS. The problem with the less expensive seats is that they're outgrown sooner. DS outgrew the Scenera about 3.5. We ended up buying DD 2 BVs so that a larger seat would go into DH's car. This is the big reason I think that our decision to do a less expensive one was wrong. At the time we didn't have many other options. Now, there are more options for after the Scenera, but be sure to think it all through. Spending less money per seat for more seats doesn't always save in the long run.

elektra
02-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Good point on possibly buying another seat down the road anyway. Seems like the best thing to do would be to just get another MA.

Joolsplus2
02-09-2008, 09:24 AM
<nod>...These women know of what they speak :bowdown: Let your dh pick the cover he likes, though, lol.

:)

801kelle
02-09-2008, 10:39 AM
So after all the help here, I decided to get a MA for my car for my almost 11 mo DD to ride in (which I am really excited about receiving in the mail BTW :) ).
So I am debating between a Scenera, EFTA, or another MA for DH's Hyundai Santa Fe, which DD only rides in on the weekends when we do family errands. And there have been a few times DH drives DD somewhere without me but that's only happened a handful of times so far.

Up until now we have had a base installed in each car all the time, and we've just moved the bucket back and forth. I think there was only one time where my husband had to take it out to accommodate some passengers in the back.

Do most people leave the car seat installed in that second vehicle? I'm sure it really depends on how often it would be used, but I feel like it would be a pain to reinstall once a week. What do you think?

Also, of the above seats I'm considering, which is the easiest to install?

I quickly looked up the Scenera seat and if I am looking at the right one the max weight only goes to 40 lbs. The Marathon goes to 49 inches tall and 65 lbs. EFTA only goes to 50 lbs.. So if you are wanting seats that will last the longest I would get another Marathon.. Based on your choices you have stated.

OH about leaving seats in each car.. we have always left each seat in each vehicle it was installed in.. then you are ready to go in either car all the time.

doberbrat
02-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I have a blvd in my van and a marathon in dh's car. He takes her to dc 3x a week ~2mi away. thats the only time she's in his car. But, the marathon is a hand-me-down from my cousin. I'm not 100% sure I would have spent the $$ on another marathon for so little use. Probably, b/c I like how comfortable she is in it vs in another seat, but if $$ were tight, I see nothign wrong w/getting a less expensive 2nd seat if its rarely used.

Now, I'll admit that I also have a scenera for travel and for friends to use in our van. That way, if we're carpooling, none of us have to uninstall our main seats or stand there w/kids in hand while we're trying to install seats etc.

I cant imagine living w/1 seat only if there is any chance of having to move it more than very very rarely. We even had 2 infant seats.

Joolsplus2
02-09-2008, 03:56 PM
The Evenflo Triumph Advance is actually a little bigger than the Marathon, and most kids are typically too big for the Marathon at 45ish pounds, so the 50 pound limit on the EFTA is really adequate (50 pounds is like an average 7 yo, 65 is an average 9 yo... the weight limits on seats don't mean a lot)

But the quality of the Marathon is better and it's a simpler seat to use, so I'd still get it, even if it's a little smaller than the EFTA, personally.. :)

elektra
02-10-2008, 02:45 AM
Cool, thanks. Yes, I am not worried about the weight in any of these seats actually. I think DD will outgrow by height before weight if she continues on the same curve she's been on so far.
I actually mentioned my little plan to DH, and asked him about the cover. For some reason he did not share in my excitement in picking a car seat. LOL! I will probably get one that matches the tan interior of his car (tan swirl possibly).
I asked SIL today what she did for my 15 mo neice and she said she got 2 blvd's for both her and her husband's car. So, I will probably do the same and just get another MA, especially after everyone here seems to agree with that plan too. Although, then I was like "ooh maybe I should have gotten the BLVD!" But I honestly think DD will be just fine in the center with the MA.
oh, SIL had those seats FF though! So I was able to mention that RF is safer. :thumbsup:
She said she didn't know that RF longer was safer. I guess after lurking and then posting on these boards, I feel like more people would know that but I guess not.