PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide...Used Bunk Bed Purchase??

Bens Momma
02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
On a whim I stopped by a yard sale today. They were selling a set of Raggazi bunk beds (no trundle) with a matching dresser for $650. DH and I have been talking about the possiblilty of bunk beds for DC since they currently share a room and it is crammed full. I usually research something like this to death but need everyone's opinions and help since have to decide pretty quickly. They said they had several other "lookers" who were interested. Who knows if that's true. Anyway, here's what I need to know. The stuff was in great shape and looked sturdy, is Ragazzi furniture well made, safe, etc? Is this a good price? DC are 2.5 and 4.5, will bunk beds work? Are bunk beds a PITA to make, change sheets, etc? Thanks to anyone who can help me out with some advice ASAP. It's so uncharacteristic of me to make a large $$ purchase without really researching but I have to act fast if I want the stuff.

TIA-
Momma to 2 DS

kijip
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Would you be using them right away? 4.5 is a little young for the top bunk IMO. But you could store them for a little bit before setting them up.

Ragazzi has an excellent reputation.

Bens Momma
02-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing about the top bunk, although it does have a fairly high bedrail on both sides for safety. I forgot to mention that they can be used separately as 2 twin beds, but this really doesn't help our space challenge as opposed to the current set up with one in a twin and the other in a toddler bed. Still on the fence....Glad to hear that Ragazzi has a good reputation. Any other thoughts/opinions welcomed!

Tondi G
02-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I've heard good things about Ragazzi 650 is a good price for a set of bunks let alone a bunk bed and a dresser. I would go for it!

We have bunks from PBK. While it is a little more difficult to change sheets it's not that big of a deal. I climb up, put the sheets on, pull the quilt up and it's done!

We got our bunks when our DS's were 5.5 and 2 and it has been great. If you are worried you can always use the as 2 beds now and then bunk them up later! I bet your kids would be fine. We made a rule that there was no horsing around up on the bunk or on the ladder. It has been great for us!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

ilfaith
02-08-2008, 08:17 PM
First of all, I have Ragazzi furniture and love it. I think Ragazzi designed and manufactured some of the best quality children's furniture out there.

We also have bunk beds...but sadly, the bunk beds are not Ragazzi, since the "old" Ragazzi shut it's doors shortly before we were in the market for new beds.

I'd have no qualms about purchasing used Ragazzi bunk beds (we actually looked for several months, but couldn't find a second-hand bed in the color to match our other furniture). I do think 4.5 is a bit young for a top bunk. So I'd use them side by side until your older child is at least 5 or 6.

Our bunk bed is a twin over full. The plan is that once DS2 graduates from a crib to a "big boy" bed, he will take over our guest room. Then when company comes, the boys can bunk together while the guests sleep in DS2's (queen sized) bed (I didn't have a queen until I got engaged and moved in with DH! Heck, I slept in a twin until I was 24 and got my own apartment.)

As for changing the sheets, it's not too bad. Of course since nobody sleeps on the top bunk, the sheets don't get changed that often. Just enough that they don't get too dusty.

Wife_and_mommy
02-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm late to the thread but considering your situation, I'd definitely jump on these. You'll be glad you did and Ragazzi has an excellent reputation as pp's have mentioned.

ETA: Let us know what happens, please!

JBaxter
02-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I think the minimum rec for bunks is 6yrs old. In Maryland the state will not allow foster parents to have bunk bed they deem them unsafe.

Bens Momma
02-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies & advice! DH went to get the set EARLY this morning! We figured that it was a good opportunity to get a used, matching set and from a good quality maker as well! (Great to hear the positive feedback on Ragazzi!) I think we'll try them as separates and then bunk the beds when DS gets a little older. The boys are excited about their "new" beds! DH has to put them back together and we have to do some rearranging, hopefully we will be happy with the purchase. I am so far, especially since the seller dropped the price by $100 for us!

Thanks Again!
Momma to 2 DS