PDA

View Full Version : can you dye your hair if you might be pregnant?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-08-2008, 09:51 PM
ok,ok. So a moment of spontenaity may be reaching up to suprise us or not. I won't know for awhile. In the meantime, I'm wanting to dye my hair. There's so much gray it's driving me nuts! What i'm wondering is if it's safe to do so right now. I'm also wondering if I should be takeing my prenatals just in case. Actually-the answer to that's pretty clear since I have a friend with spina bifida.

So is it ok to dye my hair?

egoldber
02-08-2008, 10:38 PM
I think it just depends on your comfort level. I have dyed my hair throughout all my pregnancies.

Marisa6826
02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Well, I dyed my hair during both pregnancies and nobody looks like this guy, so I think you'd be OK.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61pxIaBJtGL._AA280_.gif

;)

-m

MontrealMum
02-09-2008, 12:37 AM
I was never very worried about it, but if you are, you can always use foils so that the dye never touches your skin. Of course, that works best with highlights, not whole-head color.

kusumat
02-09-2008, 02:17 AM
As you might be in 1st trisemeter, it would be better to postpone till you're sure you not or in 2nd trisemeter. It also depends on the chemical used.

TonFirst
02-09-2008, 02:28 AM
I (well, my hairdresser) dyed my hair using Aveda dye a month ago. I also had highlights throughout my first pregnancy using Aveda dyes - they're pretty natural, so I didn't sweat it. Plus, my hairdresser used the same dyes on his own wife when she was pregnant, so... I didn't worry at all.

ellies mom
02-09-2008, 03:14 AM
I never worried about it either. I've dyed my hair throughout both my pregnancies. Speaking of which, I've really got to do my roots.

wellyes
02-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Why not just take a pregnancy test? There is no reason to live in suspense, really.

ThreeofUs
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
You might consider Henna-based dyes. These are considered safer.

OBs that I know say you should consider two ways that chemical hair dyes MIGHT be able to affect the developing fetus: fumes (through your nose) and liquids (through your skin). Highlights will mean less liquids on your skin and fumes in your nose, so are considered safer.

HTH!

scoop22
02-10-2008, 02:40 PM
i had heard after 14 weeks it is ok. it is definitly something you have to be comfortable with. there are many woman who do it and many wait. the end decision is yours. you have some great suggestions here.

JTsMom
02-10-2008, 06:18 PM
My midwife told me after the first trimester. Honestly though- and this is not meant as a judgement of anyone else's choices at all- after what I went through with DS's heart, I would never intentionally take any risk that I could avoid. I've spent hours agonizing about every little thing I did while pregnant- maybe it was the glass of wine I had before I knew, maybe it was the gasoline fumes I breathed in while we were transporting it after a hurricane, the fingernail polish, the hairdye, etc. The guilt is sooo not worth it. (And I have a pile of gray, so I feel your pain!)

vludmilla
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
This article at the environmental working group might be of interest to you. It talks about the possible dangers of hair dye and the safer alternatives.
HTH
http://www.ewg.org/node/22586