PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have pink eye before?

Tammy
02-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Never had it, and don't know that I've seen it before- just heard about it. A co-worker's daughter had it, then his live-in girlfriend got it, then he got it. His eyes never got red/pink but he said they felt heavy and hurt a little (he was using drops). Now today my eye starting getting red (like when you poke your eye) and I didn't think anything about it, but tonight the whole white of my eye is completely red and it feels different- like a little heavier. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but really hoping it's not pink eye. DD (15 months) already has a chronic ear infection, just got over HSP, the flu, and a cold so I really don't want her to get something else. Not to mention I was really hoping to get out of the house tomorrow for a bit with dd just to do something fun. But I can't go somewhere if I'm contagious and looking like a one-eyed freak!

ellies mom
02-09-2008, 03:12 AM
This is a really good article on the subject.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082800.asp

We thought DD had it this fall but it turned out she just scratched her eye but then DH actually caught it (the virus version) a week or two later. We just waited it out.

jenmcadams
02-09-2008, 09:29 AM
We had a bout of it last summer. My DD had it the worst and we ended up doing the drops (very expensive) for her and for my DS. My DH and I escaped it although we were sure we had it a billion times -- we decided it's kind of like imaginary tick disease :)

Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly, try not to touch you eyes and wash clothing or bedding that comes in contact with your eyes throroughly.

JBaxter
02-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Its VERY contagious. Red puffy with yellow stuff yuck. Like the pp said wash everything your face touched and toss your eye makeup. You do need a script from the doc

kransden
02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I had pink eye only once in college before dd went to dayare. Then she and I got it several times. I just called my doc and he gave me the same perscription that dd had. He didn't even bother to see me. BUT go get a perscription, it can get really horrible and you are very infectious to everyone.

lilycat88
02-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I came down with bacterial pinkeye on Tuesday morning. It started with a little matting in the morning and a gritty feeling. As the day went on, my eyes started to get red and draining yellow "junk". I went to an urgent care center that night and got an antibiotic drop. Of course, I had an allergic reaction to the drops and ended up looking like something from a horror movie and my eyes were practically swollen shut. By Thursday, DH had to stay home with me because I couldn't see. I was put on another antibiotic drop, a steroid drop, and an oral antibiotic. I've been out of the office now for 3 days and am just getting to the point that I can type and even watch television. I've had it several times in my life but nothing at all compared to this.

Wash hands constantly and wash bedding, washcloths, towels, anything that comes in contact with your eyes. We were Clorox wiping everything and bathing in hand sanitizer. So far, DD and DH have escaped it.

Jamelin

slaggyc
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I've had it many times being a teacher. It's extremely contagious! Like the previous posters said, when it's coming on it can feel like you have some sand in your eye. Once you are sure you have it, definitely throw out any make-up that touched your eye, contacts etc.

Melanie
02-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I generally would wake up in the AM with my eyes all gross and gunky. Sometimes I couldn't even open them. The remedy is pretty quick and I found the drops to be soothing. There's also homeopathic ones at the drug store if you can't get in to your MD until Monday. It couldn't hurt.