PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when DC says something mean

hillview
02-09-2008, 04:25 PM
DS is 2.5 and today said "dump DS#2 into the street in a dump truck" out of no where. He is usually a kind child. I told him that wasn't a nice thing to say. He kept saying it and I said if he said it again, his firetruck would go into a time out (our usual consequence is a toy goes into a timeout). Is this a normal thing for kids to do (say things like that)? Other ideas?
TIA!
/hillary

BeachBum
02-09-2008, 04:30 PM
For us, saying things like that wouldn't be a punishable offense. It would generate a "that's not nice" , "why did you say that?" , "are you angry...".

If I felt like he was just saying it to say it or be goofy then I would ignore him, or continue the "pretend" line of thinking and play out a "oh now he's crying what are we going to do to make him feel better..."
if he was angry I would try to find a more constructive way to deal with those feelings.

ThreeofUs
02-09-2008, 07:23 PM
We would talk about how that would make DS#2 feel, and how he would cry. Then we'd talk about what DS#1 could do to make 2 feel better.

As we also have a BIG rule around our house about streets - even in imaginative play - so that would generate some discussion as well....

hillview
02-09-2008, 08:41 PM
THANKS! So I am 99% sure it was a goofy imaginary thing. He wasn't angry at DS#2 just being silly -- DS#2 is 5 months old. I like the pretend line of saying what would happen and how to fix it.

THANKS!!
/hillary