PDA

View Full Version : How do I get DD to #1 on the potty?

momtoonegirl
02-09-2008, 05:14 PM
DD is almost 2 years old and is successfully having bowel movements on the potty :)

However, when she finishes she thinks she is done, and then wants a diaper to urinate in. She sometimes will sit long enough to incidentally pee-pee then DH and I make a really big deal of it and clap, etc., but it doesn't seem to register in her mind that she also needs to pee in the potty. We tried training underwear and having her have accidents in them and some bottomless training, with accidents, and she still screams for a diaper, then she will go.

Any suggestions on what to do?? Thanks :)

niccig
02-10-2008, 08:01 PM
My take on the whole PT thing is to let them do it at their own pace. If she's not comfortable peeing, then let her have her diaper and be glad that you're not cleaning poppy diapers too. I know it's sounds like she's ready as she can already do poo, but for whatever reason, she doesn't want to pee. You can try to work it out and come up with a lots of different strategies, and probably get really frustrated.

My story - DS naked trained at 2.5yo, any clothing on his body and he would pee himself. I tried to put underwear on him and he would scream like I was burning him with the elmo undies. We let him choose the undies he wanted, tried incentives etc. Very very frustrating, as I knew he could do it. I posted here and was told to just let him do it at his own pace. I backed off and 3 months later he woke up one day and wanted to wear the Elmo undies. He was then trained at home, but not at preschool - refused to go there unless I was with him. It took him 3-4 weeks to work that out. 3 weeks ago he didn't want a diaper on for his nap, so now we're nap trained too. The whole process was much easier once he wanted to do it too.

2yo is young, so just give her some space and time to work it out. One day so may surprise you by going pee pee without any issue.

MarisaSF
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Do you think the issue is that she needs to sit there longer or that she doesn't like the sensation of peeing in the potty?

To get DD to sit on the potty for longer, we told or read her favorite stories.
To get her to sit in general, we promised an M&M if she would try to sit on the potty.

JBaxter
02-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Pick a day and say no more diapers. Give her a specific day that she will need to pee on the potty because the diapers will be allgone. Keep the night time ones hidden if she uses them at night.

Give her like a weeks notice let her see the empty bag.... What can you do if there arnt anymore? It sounds like its not a case of cant but wont.

gatorsmom
02-11-2008, 12:03 AM
WE offered m&ms for any poo or pee they put in the potty. You might suggest that if she puts pee in the potty she gets additional m&ms. But I agree, don't push it. if she says no, she wants the diaper, celebrate the poo in the potty but then give her a diaper. She'll soon realize she wants those extra candies!!

momtoonegirl
02-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions :)

I am not sure if the issue is that she finds it more comfortable to urinate in the diaper or if she just thinks that the potty is just for poop. When we use the potty, there is usually a minute or so that she will sit before she poops and about a minute after before she hops up and says she is done, so I am not sure if the issue is that she is not sitting long enough. I usually try to read to her while she is sitting on the potty to keep her occupied.

Since she is on the young side, I will just give her a break for now and allow the diaper to see if she will come around on her own. If not, then I think I'll try a combination of the reward/no more diapers strategies. Luckily she hates poopy diapers since we started potty training, so I'll count myself lucky on that aspect :applause:.

KBecks
02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I think you should be patient. Bowel control comes easier than urinary control. She'll get it eventually.