PDA

View Full Version : which diaper pail?

nicknack
02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
My sister has one on her registry and for some reason, I'm thinking that's the one people don't like--it's the Genie. How's that one? Isn't there one that is cheaper in the long run because you can use regular trash bags and not just the inserts?
She just randomly put the Genie on there so I thought I'd look into it.

Thanks!

hellokitty
02-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm not a fan of any of those, "fancy" type of diaper pails. IMO, it's just easier to have a small metal foot pedal trash can, and then you empty it everyday. It's going to stink, b/c it's got poo or pee in it anyway, you will just have to take out the diaper trash every day. I heard that with the diaper genie (and the other one that uses regular bags, I can't remember it right now), that eventually the poo smell leaches into the plastic anyway. I know a few ppl are sometimes really happy with theirs, but most ppl have said that it was a total waste of $ and space.

mariza
02-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I never used a diaper pail, in our old house when it was just DD we used a plastic rubbermaid trash can that had a step on pedal to open the top. I emptied daily, and put it in the trash outside. I realize this is not practical in every situation. When we moved back to Boston and lived in a 2nd floor apt. and had #2 I got a small metal pedal can, but DD was fascinated with it so I just started throwing their diapers in with the kitchen trash.
I also started saving plastice bags that bread comes packaged in as well as the zip top bags that deli meat comes in. These were good for containing the smell when needed.
I definately have the diaper pail on the top of my "waste of money" baby products.
That said, I know the diaper genie has had some recent changes and people seem happy with it. My friend has one and likes it.

wencit
02-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I have the Diaper Champ, which takes regular old plastic bags, and absolutely love it. We have a 2-story house, and it's so convenient not to have to take out the upstairs trash all the time, especially in those newborn days when you are so tired and sleep is at a premium. I use plastic bags from Target or the grocery store, and they work just fine. In the beginning, we'd put diapers soiled with either pee and poo in there, since breastfed poops were relatively benign, but once DS started on solids, I noticed the Diaper Champ started to stink a little. I then started to flush the solid bowel movements down the toilet before putting the diapers in the Champ (pee-stained diapers were still OK), and now it doesn't stink at all, even though we only clear out the trash once a week. Occasionally, DS has a bowel movement that can't be easily flushed, and those diapers go directly into the outside trash can.

All in all, I'm very, very pleased with my Diaper Champ and feel that I've gotten my $30 worth out of both of them (one for each level of the house).

bubbaray
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
We have a Diaper Champ, which is great if you are BFg, until they start solids, then it gets stinky. We stopped using this one with both DD#1 and DD#2 when they started solids.

We use the Neat system in the baby's room. We like it -- you can't smell a thing with it.

hillview
02-10-2008, 11:25 AM
We had a Diaper Champ for the first year with DS #1. We then switched to a regular pail. Both stink and need to be emptied daily. The regular one is just easier to empty daily. With DS#2 we never used the Diaper Champ at all.
/hillary

KBecks
02-10-2008, 01:26 PM
The Genie II rocks, the fist Genie wasn't so great.

Emmas Mom
02-10-2008, 02:14 PM
If you're going to buy a diaper pail (& not just use a regular trash can) I'd go for the Diaper Champ too, since you can use regular trash bags). Almost all the others require you to buy their own specific bags & it just seems like such a waste of money. We liked the Diaper Champ a lot.

Happy 2B mommy
02-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I've used it for the past 15 months and absolutely no stink. We do flush poo most of the time and change the bag 2 or 3 times a week. We just use the plastic bags from grocery/Walmart/Target purchases (smaller, so we change the bags more often but they're completely free) I periodically toss a little baking soda in the bottom of the champ and the plastic hasn't absorbed any of the diaper odors.

At DD's 1st Bday party friends who needed to change dipes on their DCs asked what we used because they couldn't believe how stink-free our system was. They couldn't believe we use free bags and plain baking soda. They all have the genie.

Kerri

scoop22
02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
we love our diaper champ as well. i agree with a pp. the older they get the more you have to change the bag. i love the convenience of using any type of bag i want instead of specific bags.

SnuggleBuggles
02-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Flush the solid waste and just use a regular lidded trash can. I hate the idea of individually wrapping diapers and making disposable diapers even more environmentally unfriendly.

Beth

ltmommy
02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I had the Diaper Champ for DD. Like PPs said, it worked great for about the first year. Then it stank, even when it was empty. By the time I paid for scented (or odor-guard) bags, and baking soda and air freshener to go in the bottom, I might as well have bought special inserts. Plus, the other thing I didn't love about it was that you had to clean the opening pretty frequently, since you just stick the diaper in there.

I have the Diaper Genie II now for DS. I love it so far, but he is only 9 months. I particularly like the fact that the liner covers the opening, so I don't have to clean it. I will say that we had a friend with a 3 year old over and she put a dirty diaper in there. The whole room stank at first, but then I realized she hadn't pushed the diaper down all the way into the pail. I pushed it in all the way, and the stink was gone. It wasn't even too horrible when I went to empty it, either. The only downside is the bags, which I try to stock up on when Target has them on sale (BJ's carries the DG I refills only).

I know lots of people say to take the diapers out every day or two, but that's not really an option for us - the trash collectors only take large bags (they would leave little grocery bags in our can), and in the summer I can't even imagine the stink of diapers left outside.

Hope that helps.

Radosti
02-12-2008, 12:56 PM
We have the diaper champ, but we also just bought diaper disposal baggies from the local dollar store. There's 100 of them per box. We bagged every diaper initially prior to putting it in the diaper champ. We never had to clean the opening because of that. About a year ago, DS went to one poop per day and that poopy diaper gets placed into a diaper disposal baggie and thrown in the outside trash. The simply wet diapers just get put in the diaper champ without a separate baggie. Once the trashbag is full inside, we change it.

I want to get a second one for the downstairs this time around.

citymama
02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
We have the Diaper Dekor and have been happy with it - no way a large Diaper Champ would fit in our tiny apartment. Dekor is more compact, and less "pail" like - good for apartment people. Does a good job containing the smell. Agree that buying refills is a pain, but it works with regular trash bags as well - just more convenient with their refills.

kat_eye21
03-02-2008, 07:40 PM
We have the Diaper Dekor and have been happy with it - no way a large Diaper Champ would fit in our tiny apartment. Dekor is more compact, and less "pail" like - good for apartment people. Does a good job containing the smell. Agree that buying refills is a pain, but it works with regular trash bags as well - just more convenient with their refills.

We live in an apt too. Do you have the regular size Dekor or the Plus size?

vludmilla
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree with those PP's who say they are a waste of money and create unnecessary excess garbage. We use a repurposed cat litter pail (the kind that the 40 lb litter comes in). We removed or painted over the label (forget which) and it looks and works fine. It was cheap, environmentally friendly (as sposies go) and works fine.

Ceepa
03-02-2008, 10:20 PM
We are happy with our Diaper Genie. We keep one in the garage (for poop) and one for pee-only in the house. We empty regularly and the house doesn't smell at all.

Melarina
03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Also liking the Diaper Champ. However, we have only used it with BFing so far, so not sure what will happen when DD eventually starts solids.

ellies mom
03-02-2008, 11:57 PM
We had the original Diaper Champ and the Genie for DD1. We had the Genie first but it was too complicated for DH to use so he would just leave the dirty diaper on the changing table. So once DD started on solids, I replaced it with the Diaper Champ. We used it for about 18 months before it started smelling at all. This next time, I'm going to go with the Diaper Champ again, possibly replacing it about halfway through.

citymama
03-03-2008, 01:37 AM
We live in an apt too. Do you have the regular size Dekor or the Plus size?

We have the regular size Dekor, which has worked out well for us - and doesn't scream "diaper pail!"

kat_eye21
03-03-2008, 01:45 AM
We have the regular size Dekor, which has worked out well for us - and doesn't scream "diaper pail!"

Cool, how often do you have to change it? Sorry for all the questions but it would be great to save $10 but I was worried that I would miss the bigger size.

We used the Diaper Champ (old style) and I wasn't really impressed. Conatined smells alright but not a fan of the shute mechanism.

I like that the Dekor can be used as a regular trash can later on (or for the kitty litter in the basement)

citymama
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Cool, how often do you have to change it? Sorry for all the questions but it would be great to save $10 but I was worried that I would miss the bigger size.

We actually like that we have to empty it out more frequently - seems more sanitary that way! When DD was a little baby, maybe every couple or 3 days - now that's she's almost 2, and we change many few diapers (plus she's in daycare), we could go many days without changing it, but choose to empty it out sooner to minimize odor! The nice thing is there's nothing wasted by changing more or less frequently - you tear off only as much of the bag as needed.

If you feel like you have a lower tolerance for emptying out the pail, go with the Plus. Saving $10 now isn't such a big deal, IMO. Also, places like BRU don't have the regular refills, just the Plus. But that hasn't been a problem for us since we've always bought them online (Kidsurplus.com, babycenter.com, diapers.com all have them). And since a box of refills lasts a long, long time (maybe 4-5 months?), I haven't needed to get too many.

HTH!