PDA

View Full Version : Stroller use in the mall

JBaxter
02-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Nathan was 4 in November and he still uses his stroller in the mall. Ok its beyond that he REFUSES to walk in the mall. I love my stroller a Maclaren Volo but I am now wondering if he will max out the 55lb weight before he consents to walking. I guess its partially my fault because I never allowed him out of the stroller when he was smaller. It was just a rule he had to stay in no he won't get out LOL. Anyone else have have a stroller riding 44lb 4yr old?

kedss
02-09-2008, 09:59 PM
We probably would, except our DS is too tall for our biggest stroller, which doesn't fit easily into our trunk. :) It's amazing he can walk at all, LOL.

LD92599
02-09-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd love some reasons to use my Volo or MBUS instead of them taking up closet space.

avd3875
02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Depending on where we're going, yes, DS (4 yrs, 44", 44lbs.) is in the stroller (Silver Cross XT). He spent almost four full days in it when we went to Disneyland last month. I really should bring the Silver Cross Mini when we go to the mall. It would make life SO much easier. Just like your DS, I know mine would be perfectly happy to stay in it, and the whole shopping experience would be so much more pleasant for me. Now that you've got me thinking about it, I'm going to put it in the trunk of the car so I'm ready for our next outing.

g-mama
02-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh, how I wish. None of my boys would tolerate the stroller much past the age of 2. Despite my best efforts, it just became too much of a batle and I finally gave up. I see these 3 and 4 year olds riding around in the mall and cannot fathom it!

gatorsmom
02-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Yes, my 4.5 yr old (who is only 35 lbs.) will gladly ride in the stroller. And amazingly enough, if HE will, his younger brother will too. I love that. It was so much easier to shop with them in the stroller. But of course all that has changed now that the twins are here. sigh.

Wife_and_mommy
02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
DD's not 4 quite yet and only 30# but she'll ride in it too. I was thinking tonight she looked quite big in it but I don't care, lol.

julieakc
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM
DS will be 4 (roughly 34 lbs) next weekend - he still rides in the stroller at the mall, but not always. Last year he went through a spell where he just wanted to walk and I thought my stroller days at the mall were almost over, but then he went back to wanting the stroller. Sometimes he walks part of the time and sits part....just depends. Unless it's a very quick trip I generally take the stroller just in case. A) I actually prefer to push him through the parking lot, B) makes a nice place to put the bags, C) if he does get tired of walking (and with his low muscle tone his endurance truly is lower than other kids his age) he just has to sit down and ride.

ellies mom
02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
My 4 yo 37lbs DD still rides in the stroller at the mall. Not the whole time but a lot of times just to get started. Which in a way I don't mind because about the the time she wants out, I'm ready to start using it for bags and jackets. Thank goodness we have another baby on the way. I'm simply not used to carrying bags and jackets any more.

egoldber
02-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Sarah regularly used a stroller until she was almost 5. I now mainly use a Peg Venezia for Amy. It has a footboard for an older kid to ride and Sarah will STILL sometimes hitch a ride on the back if I need to get somewhere fast or she's tired.

niccig
02-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Oh, how I wish. None of my boys would tolerate the stroller much past the age of 2. Despite my best efforts, it just became too much of a batle and I finally gave up. I see these 3 and 4 year olds riding around in the mall and cannot fathom it!

I agree, I see all these big kids and I'm just surprised. DS will go into the stroller, but it's a fight. Eg. Aquarium, he walked for most of it, then got tired and cranky and refused to hold hands/stay near by, so we have to make him get in - once he's in, he's fine and falls asleep. But I never take DS to the mall, I hate going as it is, so I do it on my own so I can get in and out in record time.

bcky2
02-10-2008, 11:04 AM
i would have done anything my boys asked if they just would have stayed in the stroller. Max was pretty good about using one up till he was close to 3. Tyler would not get in one at all from the time he would walk! The only way he would ride in one is when we went on hikes and he couldnt keep up. If he would still ride in one i would have him in it believe me.

heatherlynn
02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Geez, my 9yo would ride if she could, but I swear I think she thinks she's a princess. My 3yo usually won't unless he's really tired and then he's pretty good about getting in. My 2yo tries to get out of everything, but I make her ride most of the time so I can keep my eyes on my 3yo.

1964pandora
02-10-2008, 12:13 PM
My 3.5 year old DS insists on riding in the stroller. He rarely wants to walk when we're in a busy, public place. I think it provides some sort of security for him.

mommyoftwo
02-10-2008, 12:16 PM
The only time either one of my girls will ride in a stroller is if we are going for a walk. I gave up taking it to the mall once Linnea was about 1.5. If we really need to get somewhere fast, someone will carry Linnea. Even on walks, sometimes they insist on getting out and walking. I wish they were more willing to ride in the stroller.

kijip
02-10-2008, 01:59 PM
It is about 3 miles from here to school/work. Toby will ride that on the days we walk. Sometimes too, he will ride on long walks to the store/farmer's market. He will be 5 in June and weighs over 40 pounds and is quite tall. He rides in a MBUS, the Techno is in storage for just in case we have another baby. Yeah his head sticks over the top of the MBUS but he fits ok and does not seem to mind.

Gena
02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
My son will be 4 in a couple of months and he rides in the stroller at the mall. But usually not by his own choice. DS is a runner and the stroller is the only way I can keep him from taking off and getting lost. Sometimes he will choose to ride, but only if he's really tired after running around in the play area for an hour.

DS is currently 36 lbs. My Chicco Tuscany has a 37 lbs. weight limit. I really don't want to buy another stroller at this point, so I'm just going to use the Chicco until it falls apart.

luvmypeanut
02-10-2008, 02:40 PM
DD who is almost 5 and 50lbs never rides at the mall. I don't even keep a stroller for her in my car, only for DS. But we do bring two single strollers whenever we travel or go to Disneyland. At DL she's always in the stroller.

strollerqueen
02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
We have a lot of them over on Strollerswap, lol! I personally couldn't imagine dragging around an overtired kid, who doesn't want to be there in the first place. Plus, where in the world do you put all your coats, bags, drinks, etc?

lizajane
02-11-2008, 05:24 PM
holy bananas, you girls are lucky!

schuyler would not ride in the stroller after he COULD walk. dylan would not ride in the stroller after 2, maybe even before. they both pretty much tried to climb out around 10 months. they even holler if i try to put them in the jogging stroller for a walk- the both WALK on a walk. or schuyler rides his bike (two wheeler with training wheels.)

but schuyler looks like he is 6, so i think he would look absurd in a stroller anyway!

g-mama
02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
I personally couldn't imagine dragging around an overtired kid, who doesn't want to be there in the first place. Plus, where in the world do you put all your coats, bags, drinks, etc?

Trust me, there's NO dragging around going on - LOL. There's me chasing after them as they run in different directions looking at whatever catches their eye. I never take them out when they're overtired to begin with, and I just can't go to the mall often because they won't tolerate the stroller. We went to Disney World when my oldest was 2 and we pushed an empty stroller the entire time b/c tired or not, he would not stand to sit down! *And* the day before we left for the trip, he had just gotten a cast off of his leg after breaking it so he limped all through the park! You just don't understand a highly active, headstrong, wired kid unless you have one.

strollerqueen
02-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean you, I meant ME, lol! My kids always hated going to the mall, and were much happier riding in a stroller than walking.

cmonbaby
02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
I could only dream of putting DS in a stroller for any amount of time! Since he turned 2, it's been a fight to get him to sit in anything... a shopping cart, stroller, anything!

So envious!

lmintzer
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Joshua will ride, and he's 4. When I walk Jack to school, he'll ride without complaint. It's more than a half of a mile, it would take him forever to get that far. At the zoo, he'll do a mix--he'll ride for a while then walk for a while. He was the kind of toddler who would never stay near, so I had to use the stroller for safety. Even when he was as old as 3, I would stick him in to go from the car into a Starbucks. It was just easier.

Malls? You mean people do that with their kids? LOL! I avoid shopping with them when at all possible. With Joshua now in preschool, I take them on errands only rarely. It's a mutually satisfactory arrangement. : )

We use a MBUS for walking in the neighborhood. For the zoo/airports, we used to use the P3. Jack would hitch a ride up until age 5-6. Now, he doesn't need to, so we typically use our Maclaren Techno. That's our current fleet--those 3. : )

bisous
02-13-2008, 02:42 AM
DS1 is active as can be but will totally "chill" in the stroller. He's 4 and only barely started to not want to ride ALL THE TIME. It has always surprised me a little bit considering his active and inquisitive personality but it has also been a huge blessing. I seriously think he is a faster runner than I am! :)

Jen

KBecks
02-13-2008, 08:50 AM
I have the opposite problem, I have two runners. :) I'm actually a little jealous.