PDA

View Full Version : Congrats daniele_ut

firstbaby
02-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Congrats on your new arrival! I just saw it in the nanny thread and thought it deserved its own!

bubbaray
02-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Yes, congrats! :)

buddyleebaby
02-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Congratulations, Daniele! :bighand: :cheerleader1: :yay: :hug:

JustMe
02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Congratulations!

mommyoftwo
02-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Ooo, congratulations!

heatherlynn
02-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes Congrats to all!

caleymama
02-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I saw that too! Congratulations to you and your family. Looking forward to hearing more about your new little one! :stork-girl:

StantonHyde
02-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Danielle--I am soooo excited for you!! I am so glad it went well.

Emmas Mom
02-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Congratulations on the new little one!! :)

wencit
02-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Congratulations to you and your new baby girl, Daniele! Hope you're enjoying your babymoon.

scoop22
02-10-2008, 02:31 PM
congrats to you and your family! :)

elephantmeg
02-10-2008, 02:57 PM
congrats on your new baby girl!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad it all went well

o_mom
02-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Congratulations!!

sidmand
02-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Congratulations! Yeah!:bouncy:

annasmom
02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Daniele! Welcome to the world baby girl!!

g-mama
02-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Congratulations, Daniele! Come around soon and tell us the details.

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Congratulations!! I can't wait to hear more!

beth

daniele_ut
02-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Thank you! Cadence Elizabeth arrived on 2/4 at 5:55pm weighing 7lbs 6oz. We just got home Friday and it's been a bit of a blur since then! She is AMAZING! I'd forgotten how sweet this newborn stage is.

Here's what happened:
We got to the hospital around 3pm on Monday afternoon for my scheduled c-section to find that I was contracting every 4 minutes and was 6cm dilated and fully effaced. I had a wonderful nurse who was really sweet and supportive and she wanted to know why I wasn't a VBAC. I explained it was my 3rd c-section and my history to her, but she still thought that it would be an idea to explore with my doc when he got there. You can imagine that this brought up a huge amount of doubt and emotion. I agonized for a long time about whether to VBAC with DS and was determined to do so, but eventually the choice was taken out of my hands (frank breech and not enough fluid for a version), for which I was a bit relieved. The idea of a VBA2C had been on my mind for a while during this pregnancy, but we had dismissed it, so to have it come back up at the last minute really threw me for a loop. To say that I was afraid of the surgery was an understatement, but I just wanted to do the best thing for this baby. DH and I talked it over alone and wanted some input from my doc, whom I trust implicitly. He told me the risks, 1.5% or so in his estimation, of rupture and we talked about what could happen if I did rupture. Almost all the risks at that point are to the baby, which didn't sit well with me. Though again the percentage of catastrophic ruptures isn't high, odds don't sit well with me, no matter how small. Kiely's birth defect was a 0.008% chance of occurring and had even smaller odds of causing her . He said that he would totally support me doing the VBA2C, but he would feel better if I chose the c-section. At that point I was so overwhelmed that we decided to stick with the original plan and I was prepped for surgery.

They took me back to the FREEZING OR to get my spinal while dh waited outside. The anesthesiologist was really nice, but it hurt much worse than last time going it. It took effect quickly, though, and I didn't end up needing any other pain meds. I was worried I would need again because it made me really loopy (which he assured me is actually a normal reaction as opposed to what my last anesthesiologist said). I did throw up a bit from the drop in pressure but it wasn't too bad. DH came back in and held my hand and they got right to work. Since I was totally aware this time, there was a lot more going on that I don't remember at all from DS! I could feel a lot of tugging and pulling and before too long, my doc had reached the uterus and broke my water - which was totally clear. Just a minute or 2 later I asked him if he was standing on my chest because there was so much pressure and he laughed and said "pretty much, but she's almost here". He pulled her out and she started screaming - the sweetest sound I have ever heard. That never happened when DS was born and it stressed me out and he ended up in NICU for 3 weeks with Respiratory Distress. This time, it was obvious she was vigorous and healthy. They showed her to me and then dh went over to her while they rubbed her down and wrapped her up. Then they let dh place her on my chest, which I totally didn't expect and it was so amazing. I can't begin to describe the relief that flooded through me at that point. I knew we had made the right decision. Her apgars were 8 and 9.

They did end up taking her to the nursery at that point and dh went with her, but I was totally ok with it to be honest. The docs were talking about Hawaii (mine had flown back that morning from vacation!) while they worked and kept the mood light, but kept telling me exactly what they were doing and how well it was going. In a little bit dh came back and they had me all sewn up and brought me back to recovery where Kathy and Gary (our adoptive parents) were waiting for me. DH and Gary went up to the nursery and it was only an hour or so until I got her back when they brought me to my post-partum room. To be honest I was in no shape to nurse in recovery since I had the shakes so badly! Once they brought us back together, though, we got her latched right away and she did great. Most of the rest of the night is a bit of a blur, but dh stayed with me and she never left our side until the next morning when we sent her to the nursery so I could sleep a bit.

My recovery has been much easier this time and to my relief, nursing is really going well also. She was only down 7 ounces from her birthweight (she'd lost a total of around 10 oz while we were there) and my milk came in early Thursday morning. She sleeps 3-4 hours between nursing during the day, but the nights it was more like 2 hours! We'll see how things go now that we are home. We decided to stay the full 4 nights so I could get as much nursing help as possible. She's been asleep for about 3 hours right now swaddled in her crib and we are thrilled to be home. I can't say enough good things about the hospital. No one ever asked us to give her a bottle or a paci and never pressured us about anything really. They were attentive, helpful and supportive for the entire experience.

Now the pics:

Just born:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/daniele_ut/Cadence/DSC01387.jpg

In my arms:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/daniele_ut/Cadence/DSC01393.jpg

Ready to go home:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/daniele_ut/Cadence/DSC01427.jpg

All snug:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/daniele_ut/Cadence/DSC01440.jpg

In her crib for the first time:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/daniele_ut/Cadence/DSC01441.jpg

o_mom
02-11-2008, 04:39 PM
She is precious! I'm glad everything went well. Enjoy your little one!

Emmas Mom
02-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Wow she's beautiful & man do you look good!!! :cheerleader1: That blanket/car seat cover is darling too. Glad you are both doing well. :applause:

StantonHyde
02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
ahhhhh--she is just too cute. Look at those cheeks--she is one good lookin, chunky, healthy baby. I cannot even imagine the relief you felt when everything went well. And in your case, any risk #s would not be ok--I know I couldn't handle it either after your DD 1. I would be going for 100% baby safe. Good for you that it was a good birth experience, that the baby is sooo healthy, and you do look a little too good there, lady :-) I hear ya on the extra hospital stay--that is a wonderful thing when you have a little guy at home. How is he doing????

Isn't that funny about the docs discussing Hawaii? When I had my amnio, the doc had gone to med school with DH and they hadn't seen each other in years. They were catching up on old times. I figured everything must be going well if nobody was worried--I was actually much more relaxed than if they had been totally focuse on me.

jk3
02-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Congratulations!!! She's beautiful and I love the name you chose for her.

Lovingliv
02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
We love you, Daniele!!!

Big hugs from Liv, Tess and Me!!!!!

Fairy
02-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Mazel Tov!!!