PDA

View Full Version : Does he still fit the Marathon?

mytwosons
02-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Sorry, I've searched and I'm still confused!

I'm trying to figure out if we need to move my DS into a Regent or if he still safely fits in his Marathon. I had always thought the rule for outgrowing the Marathon when FF was when their ears reached the top of the back. I swear my manual says it's ok if the straps start below the top of their shoulders, but now I'm hearing and reading this isn't right. My sons shoulders are higher than the top slot, but he still has a couple of inches until his ears reach the top of the seat. Is he safe or should we move him to a Regent?

Many thanks!!!

Joolsplus2
02-10-2008, 01:59 PM
If his shoulders are really above the top slots, I'd move him to a taller seat, yeah. I think the 'ears' rule is more like the red flashing light saying 'this is your FINAL warning, this seat is TOO SMALL' (some people need that! I've seen some hecka huge kids in little convertibles, with no head protection at all :( ). The Regent is great, but the Graco Nautilus is a close second, it's got taller top slots than the Marathon, then becomes a really nice booster seat....it's good quality for a Graco (*smooth* harness adjuster!), and might at least be worth a look (Walmart has them now for $149, other stores are getting them soon, www.gracobaby.com shows which and when).

:)

mytwosons
02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
If his shoulders are really above the top slots, I'd move him to a taller seat, yeah. I think the 'ears' rule is more like the red flashing light saying 'this is your FINAL warning, this seat is TOO SMALL' (some people need that! I've seen some hecka huge kids in little convertibles, with no head protection at all :( ). The Regent is great, but the Graco Nautilus is a close second, it's got taller top slots than the Marathon, then becomes a really nice booster seat....it's good quality for a Graco (*smooth* harness adjuster!), and might at least be worth a look (Walmart has them now for $149, other stores are getting them soon, www.gracobaby.com shows which and when).

:)
Thanks Jools! Off to get a Regent. ;-) One last question: we will be flying cross-country in a few weeks. I can either check the marathon and use that upon arrival, or have a family member pick up an inexpensive booster to use and leave there. I'm guessing the Marathon would be safer, correct? Many thanks!

Joolsplus2
02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Hmmm...I always take the path of greatest laziness and would have a booster at my destination... I'm sure that's not safest, but it's easy...you decide! (Graco Turbo is a good choice, DO get a highback, of course).

801kelle
02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I've searched and I'm still confused!

I'm trying to figure out if we need to move my DS into a Regent or if he still safely fits in his Marathon. I had always thought the rule for outgrowing the Marathon when FF was when their ears reached the top of the back. I swear my manual says it's ok if the straps start below the top of their shoulders, but now I'm hearing and reading this isn't right. My sons shoulders are higher than the top slot, but he still has a couple of inches until his ears reach the top of the seat. Is he safe or should we move him to a Regent?

Many thanks!!!

Not sure what your long term goal is but the Regent goes to 80lbs and 53 inches. That is what we have. We love it. I have heard great things about the Nautilus on this board. Difference between the two is Nautilus you can harness till 65 lbs. And then booster till 100lbs. So it depends on what you ultimately want to do? GOOD LUCK.