PDA

View Full Version : Choosing next seats-5pt harness for 3 & 5 yr olds

firsttimemommy
02-10-2008, 05:17 PM
My 3 yo (39", 37#) and my 5 yo (42" 37#) have almost outgrown our Graco CarGo's as 5 pt harness seats (and frankly, I'm getting sick of them - they dont compare looks or quality to the MA's in my husband's truck) and there is no way I am ready to put even my 5 yo in a booster (she still falls asleep in the car almost everyday!) So we need a new set of high weight 5 pt harness seats.

I drive an 07 Nissan Pathfinder and there isn't alot of leg room or space for them to manuever back there as far as getting in their seats. I also do not have side air bags :(.

So here are the features I'm looking for in order of importance: (besides 5 pt at least until 60 lbs - that's a given/definite):

1. true side impact protection.

2. head comfort for my nappers

3. height for ease of getting in

4. width b/c occasionally my 4 week old niece rides with us and I want to put her in the middle of them (I *could* move my DD who's the oldest to the third row, but this eats up my cargo area and of course it's a pain to have to move her seat and get it *just right* - plus there is no top tether in the third row seating) The infant seat barely fits between the Cargos now.

5. nice looking - ok, this is pretty insignificant, but if possible, the less obnoxious looking the better LOL

So knowing that, which would you choose? cost is not really an issue (not that we are rich - far from it, but I will spend what I have to spend to get the right seat)

**Sunshine Radian (looks nice, low profile - but does it have True Side Impact Protection?)
**Britax Regent (too wide/big???)
**Britax Boulevard (too tall???)
**Safeguard Go (coolest looking by far)
**Graco Nautilus (not as attractive and I don't really like Walmart, I do like the cupholders!)
**Recaro Como

(or any I am missing?)

Thanks - my mind is just plain overloaded trying to compare these seats.

JBaxter
02-10-2008, 05:26 PM
I like my radian it is easy for a kiddo to climb into and out of. Nathan is about 44ish tall at 4yrs 3 months I'd say he as atleast another full year in the seat. Ive been very happy with it. Its heavy but we also travel with it. I recommend it all the time.

bubbaray
02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't believe any of those seats have true SIP. I actually wouldn't base my decision on SIP if it were me. I'd try to find the seat(s) with the highest harness top slot.

For your situation, you'll get the most years harnessed out of the Regent for your 5yo. I'd try one Regent for the 5yo and one Radian for the 3yo, then when the 5yo is older, she gets a booster and your youngest gets the Regent.

But, if your decision will need to account for your neice too, then maybe the Radian is the way to go for both of your children. The Regent will give you more years harnessed than a Radian, though.

My 3.5 yo sleeps in her RN65 all the time. Not the same comfy sides as the MA, but she d/n complain. She can easily climb into the RN, but she could in a Regent too.

I'm not sure on the width of the Nautilus, but I hear its narrower than the Regent. IIRC, the top slots are still higher on the Regent.

firsttimemommy
02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks ladies :)

I guess I put TSIP top on my list b/c I don't have side air bags. Is that not important? Did you recommend the tallest harness slots b/c the seat would last longer therefore costing less? Because if I have to buy a third set of seats (in the scenario of outgrowing the top slots) I would do it, if it meant having the best possible safety protection (in getting TSIP) Does that make sense? :)

Not having side air bags just really bugs me (I dont know why I didnt upgrade to the LE model to get them - boo hoo - although the pathfinder got a 5 star side impact crash test rating - but still...) And I'm stuck with the car for awhile (and other than no SAB, I love it)

thanks again :) :)

Joolsplus2
02-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Nautilus will be at Baby Depot and BRU really, really soon ;). I've seen a three-across picture where it fits next to a Radian, then you could definitely fit another seat in there when needed. Radian's fine...you should try it.. my dd was about yours's (lol, is that a word?) size and she fit in the Radian till 7ish (might still fit in the Nautilus now at 8, though...).

Just go for harness and EPS foam, that's all the SIP you need to worry about (I think those all have that) (you can look at SIP features more closely when you have to move to boosters, that's when you'll really want the extra protection).

firsttimemommy
02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks Julie!

So the Radian or the Nautilus...hmmmm, the Radian is nicer looking, but doesn't have those nifty cup olders like the Nautilus......hmmmmm.... I wonder if the BRU versions will come in different colors.....the Walmart version looks so "car-seaty" (now I'm making up words too! LOL) compared to the Radian (and you know that might make a difference as she gets older :)

I wonder which would be more comfy for napping. The MA's in hubby's truck cradle their heads so nicely - I'd like for the new seats for my car to do that. The CarGo's let their heads drop....

Is the Radian of the same level of quality as the Britax's? I would guess the Nautilus is the same level as the Cargos, since they are both Graco? (and I think the Cargos look and feel sort of cheap (sorry to all Cargo lovers out there!)

kcampbell
02-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Love them both but I will say the Regent is ginormous (making up words in keeping with the previous posts LOL). Seriously, it is so huge I can't imagine fitting anything else as a third seat. We have the Regent for our 3.5 DD next to a RA for out 22month old. Other car set up is a Radian and MA. I think the Radian is as nice as the Britax and the size of it is awesome. Don't know if I am helping but for what it is worth we love the Radian.

o_mom
02-11-2008, 01:33 PM
BRU will have "Galaxy":
http://www.gracobaby.com/assets/images/product/8J00GLX_s.jpg

Baby Depot will have "Matrix":
http://www.gracobaby.com/assets/images/product/8J00MTX_s.jpg

Neither one is very exciting, but at least a couple more shades of "car matching" fabric and the BRU one looks softer.

801kelle
02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks ladies :)

I guess I put TSIP top on my list b/c I don't have side air bags. Is that not important? Did you recommend the tallest harness slots b/c the seat would last longer therefore costing less? Because if I have to buy a third set of seats (in the scenario of outgrowing the top slots) I would do it, if it meant having the best possible safety protection (in getting TSIP) Does that make sense? :)

Not having side air bags just really bugs me (I dont know why I didnt upgrade to the LE model to get them - boo hoo - although the pathfinder got a 5 star side impact crash test rating - but still...) And I'm stuck with the car for awhile (and other than no SAB, I love it)

thanks again :) :)

We have 2 Regents. Our DD is 4.5 yo, 42 inches, 40lbs. I know people are always concerned about the size of Regents. My girlfriend has a Mercedes R500 and I just convinced her to get Regents for her 2 girls. She puts the youngest in the second row behind the drivers side and put the older in the third row. She just keeps the side up on the passenger side in the third row and keep other side down so that helps give a little more cargo room. I still have our Marathon for extra seat and traveling. But have been thinking of getting a Radian 80 for extra seat and traveling because it goes to 80lbs harnessed.

What I like about the higher limit seats is you can keep them 5 pt harnessed till 80 lbs and/or 53 inches tall.. which ever comes first. So I would say Regent or Radian 80.!!!
I have had the Regent in my middle row with a Marathon on each side several times. I have a suburban.

firsttimemommy
02-11-2008, 09:25 PM
thanks omom, kcampbell and 801kelle for the advice!

I am going to go look at the Regent in person before deciding for sure, but I'm leaning towards the Radian. :) Thanks for making it all so clear!!!!

801kelle
02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks Julie!

So the Radian or the Nautilus...hmmmm, the Radian is nicer looking, but doesn't have those nifty cup olders like the Nautilus......hmmmmm.... I wonder if the BRU versions will come in different colors.....the Walmart version looks so "car-seaty" (now I'm making up words too! LOL) compared to the Radian (and you know that might make a difference as she gets older :)

I wonder which would be more comfy for napping. The MA's in hubby's truck cradle their heads so nicely - I'd like for the new seats for my car to do that. The CarGo's let their heads drop....

Is the Radian of the same level of quality as the Britax's? I would guess the Nautilus is the same level as the Cargos, since they are both Graco? (and I think the Cargos look and feel sort of cheap (sorry to all Cargo lovers out there!)

I would say if you are looking for seats to harness the longest.. Radian 80 would be your best best. It is narrower and not so big. Harnesses to 80 lbs and Nautilus harnesses to 65 lbs. I am actually thinking of getting one as our extra seat and to use for traveling.. because our DD is almost out of her marathon that we still have to use for traveling.

Personally, I am a freak and don't ever want my daughter in a booster seat so that is why I picked the highest weight/height limit seat. Especially after watching the crash test videos on booster seats. We have a Regent in each car. Yes they are big but I don't care.. have them installed in middle seat and I have a suburban and my husband has an extra cab truck... We love them.

Joolsplus2
02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
I would say if you are looking for seats to harness the longest.. Radian 80 would be your best best. It is narrower and not so big. Harnesses to 80 lbs and Nautilus harnesses to 65 lbs. I am actually thinking of getting one as our extra seat and to use for traveling.. because our DD is almost out of her marathon that we still have to use for traveling.

Personally, I am a freak and don't ever want my daughter in a booster seat so that is why I picked the highest weight/height limit seat. Especially after watching the crash test videos on booster seats. We have a Regent in each car. Yes they are big but I don't care.. have them installed in middle seat and I have a suburban and my husband has an extra cab truck... We love them.

The Natilus has HIGHER TOP SLOTS than the Radian 80, and most kids still outgrow both seats by 50ish pounds, anyway. (age 6-7 for the RN, age 7-8 for the Nautilus...remember, 65 pounds is the weight of an average 9 year old, 80 is the weight of an average 11 year old... do you REALLY think the RN 80 will last as long as a Regent????)

:)

JBaxter
02-12-2008, 11:09 AM

801Kelle -- the radian 80 and radian 65 ARE THE SAME SEAT UNDER THE PADDING. A child WILL grow out height requirement at the same time so unless you have a really chunky kid there is no more benefit to the 80. You recommend the seat often but the slot heights are the same on both seats.

ltmommy
02-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Honestly, I am skeptical about the Nautilus fabric at the other stores. I searched colors for the CarGo and online the Norway at BRU looked like the best option. In person - ugh. Think bad tweed. The one at the Target wasn't much better - just very cheap imitation suede. But my Nautilus from Wal-Mart is really, really nice. Looks very sporty, especially without the insert (which can only be used on the bottom slot, so for like an average 2 year old, anyway). It is much nicer in person, very soft and sleek fabric.

o_mom
02-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Personally, I am a freak and don't ever want my daughter in a booster seat so that is why I picked the highest weight/height limit seat.

Even after outgrowing the Regent, many kids still need a booster and are probably safer using one as long as they can fit.

801kelle
02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
The Natilus has HIGHER TOP SLOTS than the Radian 80, and most kids still outgrow both seats by 50ish pounds, anyway. (age 6-7 for the RN, age 7-8 for the Nautilus...remember, 65 pounds is the weight of an average 9 year old, 80 is the weight of an average 11 year old... do you REALLY think the RN 80 will last as long as a Regent????)

:)

Sorry I will start clarifying more:

According to the Radian website the Harness Height is 18 inches

According to Britax website the harness height on Regent is 20 inches

According to the carseat.org website the harness height in Nautilus is 18.5 inches. ON Graco's website it does not specifically state harness height..Hope this helps.

801kelle
02-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Even after outgrowing the Regent, many kids still need a booster and are probably safer using one as long as they can fit..

Absolutely.. my point was I will not put my DD in a booster until she outgrows Regent.. because I want to keep her harnessed as long as possible.

801kelle
02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
801Kelle -- the radian 80 and radian 65 ARE THE SAME SEAT UNDER THE PADDING. A child WILL grow out height requirement at the same time so unless you have a really chunky kid there is no more benefit to the 80. You recommend the seat often but the slot heights are the same on both seats..

Yes sorry I realize that too.. but if I were to buy a Radian might as well buy the one with the higher weight limit just in case child doesn't grow tall as fast and can still stay in longer because of higher weight limit?