PDA

View Full Version : Help me add more protein to my diet!

ShanaMama
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Since the begining of this pregnancy, all I've wanted to eat is carbs. I can't look at raw chicken (or cooked, either!) & meat grosses me out pretty badly, too. With fish it's the smell that gets me.
I'd love some suggestions for ways to incorporate more protein into my diet. I do yogurt, cheese & milk, but really think I need some more.
TIA

wendmatt
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm loving soy beans at the moment. I buy a frozen packet and pop them in the microwave for about 4 mins and eat them either with dinner as a side dish or gobble them up as a snack. They have some protein in them.

vludmilla
02-10-2008, 09:47 PM
I would try beans, especially lentils. Peas are also a pretty good source of protein (4g per serving, IIRC). Edamame (soy). You could also try some egg or soy protein powder to add to milk to make milkshakes (yum). Eggs are also a good source. Heavy-duty whole grain breads can also be a good source of protein, some have 5 grams of protein per slice!
HTH
-Victoria

cvanbrunt
02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
How about hummus and using those nut flour based crackers you find in the gluten-free section for dipping? I also love for snack a mix of pistachio nuts and craisins.

vludmilla
02-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh, I forgot to add that Barilla Plus pasta is a GREAT source of protein. A very small 2 ounce serving has 10 grams of protein and if you're like me, I eat about 4 ounces for dinner---that would be 20 grams of protein! The downside is that is the pasta is more expensive than most but it really tastes SO much better than most whole grain or healthy options.

wellyes
02-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I've started having peanut butter toast with chocolate milk for breakfast - comfort food goodness PLUS protein-rific. If you're wary of peanuts, try almond butter instead.

Yogurt is also a good source of dairy protein, and the calcium is a great added bonus.

MontrealMum
02-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Back when I was doing the Zone diet I used to add protein powder to fruit smoothies. Lots of healthy things in it and it tastes great. You can make it really thick and "shake-like" if you add a frozen banana to the milk & other fruits, along with the protein powder.

I second the suggestion for peanut butter (natural, not the processed ick!), or you could also do almond butter or any of the other nut butters out there. When I was pregnant I couldn't stand the smell of so many things, including fish (most raw meat totally turned me off), and ended up taking Omega-3 gel capsules to get that into my diet.

ShanaMama
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Wow I can't believe I got so many replies so quickly. All great suggestions, thanks everyone. I'm going to try to incorporate them & see how it goes.

Vludmilla- pasta would be GREAT because I can just keep eating it! I've never seen Barilla Plus. Do you buy it in a health food store or regular grocery?
ETA I just googled Barrilla plus pasta & got a store locator. Apparently they sell it at Walmart, so I'll try there tomorrow. That would be the answer to my dreams! A good reason to eat loads & loads of pasta LOL!

vludmilla
02-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I buy it in a regular grocery store. It is next to the regular Barilla (blue box) but the Barilla Plus is in a yellow box. I've bought it at Stop & Shop, A&P, etcetera. I hope you find it because I think it's awesome and it has nearly erased my guilt over eating so much pasta!
It looks like this:
http://www.barillaus.com/Home/Pages/Barilla_Plus.aspx
Good luck!
-Victoria

trales
02-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Also, try Quinoa, it tastes like brown rice, comes in a box in the 'natural food' section of your grocery store, cooks in 10 minutes and is a compete protein.

ShanaMama
02-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I second the suggestion for peanut butter (natural, not the processed ick!), or you could also do almond butter or any of the other nut butters out there.

I love me some good ol' Skippy! :wink2:

gatorsmom
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
How bout a handful of almonds? That was always an easy favorite of mine. Also, some of those Kashi cereals are loaded with protein.

Mamma2004
02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
If carbs sound good, how about mixing Kashi Go Lean Crunch into some nonfat or lowfat yogurt? You'd get a great balance of protein, fiber and carbs.

When I was pregnant with DS, I survived on lots of high-fiber cereal, whole grain bread and whole wheat pasta.

Do you eat eggs? You could make a veggie frittata with mostly egg whites - it lasts for days so you could eat it one night for dinner (hot), the next day for lunch (on a sandwich).

String cheese? Hummus? How about little whole wheat English muffins (or pitas) with marinara sauce and mozzarella?

If it's specifically the *raw* meat that bothers your stomach right now, you could purchase pre-cooked chicken to then eat over a salad. Come to think of it, they do sell chicken breast in cans, just like tuna or salmon.

Good luck!

Stephanie

denna
02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Adding powdered milk to almost anything you eat is a great way to add in some extra protein.

HTH

MontrealMum
02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I just wanted to add another suggestion that goes with your carb fixation. When I was cooking for Meals-on-Wheels we routinely added an egg or two to the mashed potatoes to up the protein content of the client's meals. Now, the pasta that pp have suggested is a better carb choice, but with the eggs a few potatoes now and then might be OK too. I went through a complete potato obsession in my first trimester :)