PDA

View Full Version : Today it hit me . . . .

trales
02-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I am not so young anymore. I still think of myself as young, but. . .

DH and I were in Target today (we failed at cutting back) and we saw a young family with a daughter DD's age. DH looked at me and said, "wow they are sooooo young, how old do you think they are." I looked more carefully and realized they were most likely in their early to mid 20's not young at all to have a baby. DH and I looked at each other very carefully and said "where did the time go". Granted, we have spent many, many, too many years in graduate school:jammin:

When DD gets to preschool are most of the parents going to be 10 years younger, not that I have any issues with that but . . .

In my close, pre-baby, circle of friends they are all either single, dating or have very young children. Most of us spent years in grad school or on working on high intensity careers.

Anyone else feeling a bit "old" lately. Watching the Grammy's is not helping, what happen to U2 and REM:hysterical: ?

BTW, I just figured out how to use the smilies.

gatorsmom
02-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh, yeah, I had my 36th birthday in December. And I still felt young until my dad pointed something out. He reminded me that in 14 yrs I"ll be 50. if he had been in the room, I seriously think I would have smacked him.

SnuggleBuggles
02-10-2008, 11:40 PM
I had that lightbulb moment too this week. I was watching some McDonald's commercial and the woman complained about being called ma'am (b/c she didn't think she was that old). I looked at her and thought that she did look that old, like upper 30's. That made me think about my age. When did I cross over in age? Luckily I am the young one in my social circle so that makes me feel better. :)

Beth

caheinz
02-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I figured it out in grad school. I was TAing a lab course where we had the radio on most of the time. A newer version of "Goodnight Eileen" came on, and I was the only one in the room who knew there was an earlier verion (by Dexie and the Midnight Runners).

That was quite a while ago. Now I just notice how the college kids just keep on getting younger every year...

I think it's Beloit College who, every year, prepares a "fact list" for the coming freshman class. Things like "have only used CDs, and has never seen a turntable except as used by a DJ," which (paraphrased) was on there a couple of years ago.

niccig
02-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I think it's Beloit College who, every year, prepares a "fact list" for the coming freshman class. Things like "have only used CDs, and has never seen a turntable except as used by a DJ," which (paraphrased) was on there a couple of years ago.

I remember getting that list on email when I worked at universities. I also had to change some examples I used in teaching, no one had a clue what I was talking about - McDonald's and Styrofoam containers - and at the time I was late 20's - so not old at all.

Nicci

Marisa6826
02-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Yeah, it really upset me when I realised that REM was on a 'easy listening' station at Marshalls a few weeks ago. WTF?!

I was called Ma'am by some kid at school (MY school, not the girls') last week. I told him that I wasn't old enough to be called Ma'am, that I was only 37. He then kindly informed me that his father was 40. :eek:

-m

maestramommy
02-11-2008, 01:29 AM
You're not the only one. I just turned 39 and Dh just turned 41. It'll be pretty funny when Dora goes off to school. Some of her friend's parents will probably be young enough to have been my students.

That said, we refuse to feel old. We think young, so we feel young:yay:

amandabea
02-11-2008, 01:43 AM
another one here...I'm 35 and DH is 45 and I'm pretty sure we're older than most of DD's daycare friends' parents. Neither of us feel old though. Course, not only do I think I'm young, but I still think I'm thin too...and then I see the pictures. Oh, what happened to that thin, young girl.

TahliasMom
02-11-2008, 02:08 AM
even though i'm in 30's, at least I have the young genes. most people still think i'm in my early 20's. but I do have "old" moments when I hear music, especially when i hear on the radio that "new kids on the block" are coming back!!! :eek: yeah, where did all that time go??? and when i go back home and hang out with my girlfriends that i have know since elementary school. yikes.

kijip
02-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Move to Seattle. You'll be the average age for parenting here. I was 22 when my son was born and I was easily 10-18 years younger than most other first time moms in my social group. My closest in age friends that are parents are 34 and 39. Went to kindy open houses all last month and the PTA moms with 1st, 2nd graders were nearly all in their early to mid 40s.

thomma
02-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I had a similar moment during the winter holidays when we had a K-2 concert at my school. I was looking at all of the kindergarten parents and they just seemed SO young. My kids go to K next year and I'll be 41. YIKES! :)

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

lmintzer
02-11-2008, 08:44 AM
It's hitting me too! I'm 35. It's not that that's old, but I just don't know how I got here, if you know what I mean. I had my first baby very young for my circle (Ph.D.s/postdocs). I was 28 when Jack was born. I really wanted to have my kids "young". DH would have have ideally waited a bunch more years, I think.

It's just that I still feel mid-20s inside a lot of the time. It's very strange!

g-mama
02-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm 38 and dh is 41. I had my first baby at 31 and that is very common where I live. Pretty much all of the moms in ds2's preschool class are close to my age. I really don't feel old and know that I was not ready to be a mom in my 20s. I honestly don't think about it and it's the norm in my area.

maylips
02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I am right there with you ladies -- glad to be a more "mature" parent, but definitely feeling my age at times.

I'm turning 35 in May and DH is almost 37 and we just had DD last March. When I'm really feeling it is in my back -- all that lifting on these old bones! :) Then I ask my DH to lift her b/c I'm hurting too badly and he's complaining about his bad knees! We laugh and wonder if young parents feel like that!

I felt old the other day when I asked one of my babysitters what year she was born...and it was the same year my DH graduated high school! But I wouldn't change the 12 years we had being married with no kids. And I *think* we're going to be better parents at this age than we would have been if we had had children 10 years ago.

Mamma2004
02-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I just turned 39 on Wednesday (eeeeeek! 39 for the *first* time, that is). DH and I both attended grad school before getting married and then we dealt with years of infertility before I finally had DS at age 35. Most of my friends range in age from 30-50 but in DS's playgroup and preschool, I am definitely among the "older" moms.

I agree with PP - we must refuse to feel old! That's why I need to go exercise right now. It always makes me feel better!

Stephanie

ETA: DH is 36 so maybe I allow that to make me feel younger rather than older!

KrisM
02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm 37. At DS's preschool, I know quite a few of the moms - 6 of us range in age from 33 to 38, so not too bad.

The thing that gets me is that when my mom was 37, I was 16!

Emmas Mom
02-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm 37. At DS's preschool, I know quite a few of the moms - 6 of us range in age from 33 to 38, so not too bad.

The thing that gets me is that when my mom was 37, I was 16!

Ok, you & I must be long lost twins! I'm 37 & when my Mom was 37 I was 16 too! ;)

I have quite a few close friends who are (or will be) all "older" mothers also. Age is more a state of mind these days. People are healthier, living longer & having children later. Personally I like that I never had children until I was in my 30's. I feel like I wasn't ready before then.

elektra
02-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I am 32 with an 11 mo, and DH is 38. And although I can feel old at times, I feel "just right" most of the time. For me, it has worked out well to have fun and concentrate on my career in my 20's and then get married and have kids in my 30's.
When I see the mom's posting on here that are in their early 20's, concerned about car seat safety or whatever, I think that's great because there is no way I would have been mature enough to be a mom at that age. My biggest worries at that time were what I would do for a career, what clothes were most in fashion (that I could afford), how to get my then boyfriend from hanging out with his friends too much, and where the coolest bar/club was in town! Carseats and preschool selections were about the last things on my mind!
I think our biology needs to catch up with society. ;)
My husband made me feel old the other day though. He was teasing me about fully embracing my mom role. As I now use coupons, cook in the crockpot, wear "practical" shoes, etc. We had a good laugh over it.

MontrealMum
02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I can completely relate...most of my friends have had their kids in their 30s as well because of school and careers, but I am the last of the bunch now at age 36.

I will say that I am mildly annoyed at people who respond to hearing that DH and I have been together for 14 years by saying '"you've waited this long to have kids?" Personally, I find that quite rude, but it doens't happen often. I don't feel too bad about it because of grad. school, working on our relationship as a married couple, and other things, which I think will make us better parents than we would have been in our 20s - and I know some people are great parents earlier on, but we sure weren't ready!

My age really does hit me from time to time though. One of my college friends has a daughter who is driving! And I am constantly floored by how those old-looking people on Dr. Phil are younger than I am! I guess it's all about mindset - I may be 36 but I feel 25 - except my knees, they must be at least 40!

hellokitty
02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh, I am so glad that someone started a thread like this! I am going to be 35 within the next few months and in the past six months I've been going through this horrible realization that I am becoming an old fart. I mean, my body aches all of the time, I have perimenopausal symptoms, where ever I go ppl with kids my age are all mostly under 30 yrs old, and I've greyed (actually it's not grey, but it's just WHITE!) so much in the past four yrs that I have to contemplate whether I should go grey (white???) gracefully or if I should let myself get sucked into the world of HAVING to dye my hair (I have black hair, so my white hairs stick out like sore thumbs) *JUST* to look my age. I actually don't look as old as I am, but with white hair, it ages me by a LOT. The dying would have nothing to do with wanting to look trendy or stylish, but I just want ppl to realize that I am 35 not 45, kwim? I really hate the thought of dying my hair, but hate the thought that ppl would think I'm 10 yrs older than I really am, even more.

My DH is two yrs older than me and is trying to get rid of his belly. He's lost a bit of wt in the past month and a half, but it's from every place else, EXCEPT for his gut and he keeps saying that this is a sign of old age, lol. Yeah, we're getting old. He complains about his receding hairline all of the time too. Our friends from college are all in the same boat as we are, we all pursued our careers and were in school for a long time before settling down to have a family. The problem is that we currently live in an area where the teen and unwed pregnancy rate is really high, so it makes us feel even older than if we were in a different area with more 30-something professionals.

Oh, and to think that a lot of good songs are now being used for commercials is pretty depressing.

MontrealMum
02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh, and to think that a lot of good songs are now being used for commercials is pretty depressing.

I hadn't even thought about that...the songs used for commercials, and the musak in stores - how old and pathetic does that make you feel when it was your favorite slow dance in highschool, for example? And the fact the 80s style is making a comeback? I comfort myself by saying that it wasn't a very good move stylistically the first time, but still...

trales
02-11-2008, 04:04 PM
It hits me the most when I talk to friends who are teaching at med school or cardiologists, lobbyist etc. I sit and think, how did I get to an age where my friends are respected professionals, weren't we just kids.

Sometimes I think - How am I old enough to have a kid.

I laugh to think of the DOS based, impossible to use email system we had in college, the wipe boards on dorm room doors b/c no one had a cell phone and my black and white TV (my parents were making a point about college being for studies) in my dorm room.

I have also started to realize that the kids I taught high school chem to, could be DD's kindergarden or elementary school teacher. That is scary.

g-mama
02-11-2008, 07:50 PM
the wipe boards on dorm room doors b/c no one had a cell phone

LOL - I never ever thought about that before!! That is hilarious. Yes, we did use those and I guess there would be no point now. If the person was not in their room, you'd just call their cell, right? Interesting.

Marisa6826
02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
It hits me the most when I talk to friends who are teaching at med school or cardiologists, lobbyist etc. I sit and think, how did I get to an age where my friends are respected professionals, weren't we just kids.

That is scary.

What's even more scary is when your doctor is YOUNGER than you are. :eek: :irked:

-m

ShanaMama
02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
As I now use coupons, cook in the crockpot, wear "practical" shoes, etc.

I am at the other end of the spectrum. I'm 24 & having my second kid. But I don't feel young!! I always complain that I feel like I'm 90! I don't think I fit in the stereotypical young mom that everyone is talking about. I don't dress trendy (anymore!) Who has energy for that?! I dress practical, wear practical shoes, and just try to do my best at being a mom & wife. I am cetrainly not one of those cute little sexy pregnant women! LOL
I don't think age necessarily makes someone a better or worse parent in either direction. I really think it's all about maturity & responsibility.

ilfaith
02-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Speaking of 80s style coming back, I wandered into Express last week (it's next to the Gymboree in my local mall) and had a flashback to when I actually worked in the store about 20 years ago.

Stirrup pants, shown with brightly colored tunics and big wide belts.

Not a look I plan to revisit.

At 38, I'm not older than my doctor, but I am older than my dentist.

Most of my friends waited until their 30s to have children, and when I'm back in NYC I'm surrounded by women my age with babies. But in Florida, I'm definately one of the older moms at my sons' schools and playgroups.

Back when I was working, my 38 year old admin was a grandmother.

DH is 41, and does alumni interviews for high school seniors hoping to attend his alma mater. Last year he realized he was as old as some of the students' parents.